1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't live in my fears

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Oct 2, 2015.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm usually a Tomlin supporter. But, he screwed it up last night.
    He always claims that he doesn't live in his fears.
    How many times have you heard him say this. Countless.
    So, after Scobee misses two field goals.
    He lived in his fears and tries to go for it on a 4th and 1, instead of trotting Scobee out to try to win it
    from 49 yards.
    Here is the thing coach. If Scobee misses that kick, it's not on you this morning, it's on your kicker.
    Since you go for it on 4th and 1 and fail. It comes down on you ( and Scobee).

Grab your kicker by the mask, tell him to man up, you missed two, but darn it your going to make this one!

Bad coaching. I'm still not anti-Tomlin. I think he can do some great things. But, he lived in his fears last night, and I won't be told different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I completely agree. I cannot believe he didn't send Scobie out there to try and win the game. Yes, he is not a very good kicker but you have to at least give him that opportunity to win the game for the team. It would be huge for his confidence if he did so but instead you have to can him at this point if you want to save face.

I can't remember the last time I've been so upset after a loss.

This game was completely winnable but once again the Steelers will always find ways to beat themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You really think if Tomlin sent Scobee out there and he misses again, that Tomlin isnt the goat today?

4. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    It had to be one of the worse losses. I can remember.
    That one in the late 90's when Jacksonville blocked the game winning kick, and ran it back for a TD I remember was bad.
    Also in 2002, When Tommy Maddox had like 3 pick 6's and Texans had 90 yards of offense and we lost. Was also bad.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Tomlin is the goat no matter what today. If scobee misses then he could go to the press conference and let the nation know that Josh will not be returning anytime soon. We have informed him that his services are no longer needed. We do thank him for his long kick offs but other than that he really doesn't have anything to offer.

6. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Doesn't matter. If I were coach in that scenario, I'd simply look at the math. The play called had very little chance (perhaps 5-10%) of success - whereas, just using Scobee's season-to-date average, the kick would have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-50%. Doesn't take a math wiz to figure out which is the right choice.

So not only is Tomlin the goat today, but he's a goat that can't do math.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Not with me he isn't.. Is it really the coaches fault his kicker misses 3 kicks?
    If a coach follows basic coaching procedures, which is go for the win.
    The failure is usually on the player not the coach.
    My thing is if Vick completes the 3 yard pass to brown.
    We maybe gain a possible after 3 straight runs a 41 yarder?
    If he is going to miss at 49, he can miss at 41.
    I like the odds of 49 yarder to win it, than a 4th and 1, with a 35 year old back up QB throwing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Another thing, why not go for 2 after the DHB touchdown. Makes the Score- 21-7 instead of 20-7.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The pats loss didn't even phase me, we lost to a better team that we still could of won. This loss hurts bad... we had the game won. So many game "enders" that just didn't end it due to bad play calling. The game was over, and over, and over. See I can't get over it lol. Bad taste in my mouth

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Like we've said it's about percentages. Yes, there are gut calls that you need to make in some situations, but here you need to either run a high percentage play based off current game success or just go ahead and kick it.

I know what his thoughts were. Get the first down and you ice the game. What's the statistician's job with this team?

Also, note what end he was kicking into. If anyone knows about the stadium and the way the wind effects the kicks it "should" be the home team! Apparently, Baltimore knows more and played it right as they deferred and managed to be kicking into the closed end in the fourth quarter of regulation and chose the closed end again in overtime!

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, I think going for 1 was absolutely the right call with Vick as our QB. The odds were just not there. If we fail going for 2 there, we lose the game in regulation.

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm as aggravated at Colbert as I am anyone. I've always loved the fact that the Rooney's have generally been hands off as far as letting coaches decide on personnel but I think they should flat out force Tomlin to let Scobee go. He just absolutely can not be trusted.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One of the members here nailed Scobee when they signed him, said bad move, hes a head case and its totally true. I dont want to hear it's the same with all kickers, its not.

Have to let him go, sucks about the draft pick but you cannot trust this guy.

15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Tomlin is full of it. Everyone lives in their fears, Some just have more fears than others. Tomlin seems to have his fair share.

16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My problem wasn't with not kicking, it was with not giving the ball to Bell on that play.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sometimes the Team just isn't prepared . Had they had a good Boot pass in it would have probably worked . 2 or 3 times they booted Vick the wrong way .

Or use that stack WR with motion like the Pats use. Low percentage throws usually don't work it's as simple as that ... Need easier throws or run/throw options when the game is on the line.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. Exactumundo. Precisely. Veracious. True. Explicit. Definite. Infallible. Inerrant. Unerring. Unmitigated. Positively. Undeniable. Unequivocal.

19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agreed, and 100% my point earlier. I have no issue with the call to go for it on 4th and 1 (or 2, whichever) but the plays that were called were just... simply stated... boneheaded choices. Kicking was a much higher percentage than either of them, and that's taking into consideration Josh "Stonehead" Scobee.

20. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

Or, Vick throwing a ball that Brown could catch, since the Defense was expecting Bell to get the ball...:hmm::shrug::huh:...

Oh well... "water under the bridge"... "Can`t change the past"... "learn from your mistakes"... "Control what we can control"... "Obviously, We Own That", "Damn, Did we screw up, AGAIN??!!?!!:facepalm:"

GO STEELERS!:cool::herewego:

21. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Cowher was 108-1-1 after leading by 11 or more.

Just saying.

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's not a ball Vick has thrown much as a left handed QB in crunch time....not a high percentage play. Much harder for the lefty to flip that and get it on target. Flip it and that throw is on the button on time! All week (3 days) you know you have a lefty going and you don't have that play flipped?

Or Bell who had an over 6 yard average getting the ball with less than 2 yards to gain?