1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I didn't like flores due to LB progress

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Myles Jack looked average vs great with Jacksonville.

Bush looked like crap, then meh, then back to crap. Which we seen before.

Highsmith still looked great. while sacks increased, his tackles/solo dropped.

I think he can coach, but i don't think he was a good fit for us.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    From last to top 10 in run defense

Spillane improved

Highsmith improved

Players talked about how much he brought to the team

Helped Kenny improve

Bush has no interest in learning and working hard

Jack was dealing with injuries

Should have made him DC and let Austin go but understand that was never going to happen

His leaving is a loss for the team

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You ever think the reason Bush was sat down at the end was because Flores, who had no investment in Bush, was able to tell Tomlin it was time to pull the plug and call "Time of Death" on Bush's Steeler football career?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not a miracle worker, he didn't have the best talent to work with at ILB.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    AH SH!T. THAT TRICKY FLORES
    Bush will be in a Vikings uniform

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd almost bet that wouldn't happen unless he suddenly became a core special teamer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That would be funny as hell, if Bush goes to Minnesota. Talk about a Tin Foil Hat conspiracy theory.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's difficult to say what impact he was having because beyond the OLB duties there wasn't a specific thing like he is coaching the whole defense. That in mind you could continue to see Jerry O's coaching on display because even Jack was running into holes and being swallowed up in blocks and it was his first year with the team but a seasoned vet so they had to be telling him that was what they wanted him to do. The only bright spot was when they started the rookie and he played his instincts and went after the ball carrier instead of filling a gap.

I'm fairly certain that some offensive coordinators in the league have hit on the Steelers weakness in the run game about getting into the backfield but at the same time breaking the line and opening gaps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Jack was a great player. He didn't need to be a miracle worker. He just needed to keep the guy looking the same

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jack's play declined before he got to the Steelers, then he was hurt most of the season. At best, it is silly to blame that on Flores.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Jacks last couple of years in Jacksonville, saw a decline in Jack's play, he was still good but not great. He also declined some with the Steelers, not sure if it was injury related.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    jerry olsavsky is the ILB coach and has been throughout bushs career and sevral others we have tried there. up until last year spillane was up and down and last year he finally started playing better. who was here then? flores helping. butler and olsavsky prior. i've wanted jerry o gone for awhile now. i like the guy don't like him as a coach. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Although nursing a knee injury the biggest injury for Jack was Devin Bush playing next to him.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He certainly had input but Austin was the main guy

He had a few quotes in this regard towards the end of the season

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just because he declined in 21' doesn't meant he's not great. Simply Flores could not get him back to his form that was there just a couple years ago.

16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    While I agree with Jerry O. Still my point stands to not liking flores. We all knew spillane had it, we all seen it in the past with limited plays and that he needed to see the field more.

It would be different if spillane was someone we thought could not do it

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    spillane, bush, buddy johnson, jon bostic, joe scheobert, marcus allen, ulysees gilbert, myles jack and a few others have under performed while being brought in here. the names have changed but the position is still being played the same by them. time to adjust what is not working. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Great is a vague word, one you are using liberally in this case. Jack was very good earlier in his career, but his play had dropped off the last couple of seasons. He actually looked good early on in 2022, but he was playing through injuries most of the season and it showed. You have a defensive system that leaves the inside linebackers taking on offensive linemen more than they do on most teams, but you are leaving that out. You have a player who dealt with injuries that slowed him down most of the season, but you are leaving that out. You have a defensive coordinator and an inside linebackers coach who both had the same opportunity to get Jack back to his previous levels, but you left them out. All of those factors combined to keep Jack from what he was early in his career with the Jags, yet you seem to want to ignore them all and dump the blame on Flores. Why is that?

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jack had a groin injury he was dealing with, Bush wasn't great but his play improved from 2021, the Steelers run defense went from last in the league in 2021 to top 10 in 2022. I'm sure as Senior defensive assistant Flores had a hand in their improvement, but according to you because he didn't make a declining Myles Jack great Flores sucks :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Greatly improved run defense

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    myles jack was solid early in the season. spillane was steady eddie. neither are multi faceted guys that will be do it all players. solid is not bad. i will take that over inconsistency. that's what bush was. injuries happen. the whole defense shouldn't have taken a nose dive with one player out of the lineup like it did, but it did. we led the league in turnovers. consistency across the board is the next step for this group to become a good solid defense. we will miss some of what flores brought to this team. what we replace him with will be telling. i don't think just player turnover is what it will take. :cool:

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    solid early in the season is a better word then great for Myles. Agree with the whole defense shouldnt have taken a nose dive with one player out. Surprised the didn't have different blitz designs to help getting some QB pressure when Watt was out.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think that was a lack of trust in the secondary. The defense was designed around getting pressure with four or five guys rushing the passer, which worked at times when Watt, Highsmith, Heyward, and Ogunjobi were all healthy. You see the problem there. That was rare.

The odd part is they play a defensive style that often protects the secondary, but overexposes the inside linebackers. It's as if they still think Shazier is out there. He could do what they are asking of these guys, but their current options cannot, at least not in every aspect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers had their DL shifting at times during the games, and they used a 6/2 front at times to stop the run, I'm sure Flores had some influence on this.

• Like Like x 1
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Jack groin injury bush .hmm LOL