1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I am going to make a prediction that you will all laugh at me for making.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Our starting WRs next year are going to be Brown/Wheaton/Bryant/Rogers/Coats with Hamilton on practice squad if he doesn't get picked up by another team, or he replaces Coats on the main roster if he beats him in camp.

I think Wheaton is offered a $3-5 million a year contract which he takes and he will start the season as the starter until Bryant gets back up to speed and then we will see the three of them in 3-WR sets, with Rogers spelling Wheaton on slot duties.

I like Rogers a lot and he is developing nicely, but I am confident in saying that Wheaton/Bryant alongside Brown makes a much more potent matchup nightmare problem for teams, like the Patriots, to defend against.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Cut Wheaton and Coates.

Keep Ayers and see what the draft / FA brings to us.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Cut everyone even the b's lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I like keeping Wheaton but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Coates go.

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't see the point in giving him that type of money with how deep we are at WR. We need that else where. Especially if Bryant is the same player and Green can actually play. Wheaton hasn't shown he can play a full year and have an impact a whole year.

I'm willing to give Coates another chance since they screwed up the management of his injury/hand. Remember he was pretty much forced to play injured since they didn't want to waste roster moves. We got him for cheap the next 2 years as well. He's shown he has upside. He's also made some nice plays on special teams. I'll take Coates over Wheaton.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ohio Steeler

Ohio Steeler Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Dont be so sure about AB being on the team next season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    brown is going nowhere. they will pay him. they all but promised him that. even though its a business, you go back on that then free agents and players wont trust you at all. he done a stupid thing but not costing him a spot on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Brown is under contract for next season.... only way he's not here is if we don't extend him...... and he decides to sit for a season.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have 4 or 5 receivers with suspect hands on this team.

Emphasis need to be on who runs great routes and has elite hands over how fast their 40 time is or how tall they are.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Coates sucks. Never liked him from the start. 30% drop rate this year. Highest in the NFL for 10 years or something. Blame the fingers all you want, but his lack of catching skills was evident from day 1.

I don't think Wheaton is brought back. I like Ayers, DHB and Hamilton even though he had that drop in the EZ. Love Rogers. So I am thinking it will be AB84, Bryant and Rogers next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Ugh, Martavis Bryant needs to go, get him out of here.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not the biggest Bryant fan but watching Coates and Hamilton both drop balls that would have been for Bryant last night just lets you see how much this team actually needs him whether they will admit it or not. In my opinion, those guys could have solidified their roles and made Bryant expendable if they had stepped up and filled his slot without missing a beat. They didn't do that. Not only did Hamilton have a drop last night but he also went out of bounds and cost us a td that way as well. I know he wound up scoring but that doesn't excuse the fact that he needs to have better awareness on the field.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I would love to place him on the guillotine, the issue lies in his inability to control himself off the field as opposed to his on field production.

To conclude; talent can trump character if said talent is seldom seen.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The second part of your second statement however is a hallmark for many NFL teams; height-weight-speed.

The issue is finding players in the draft who have these intagibles plus the pre-requisites (catching, route running, etc.). Generally speaking, players like Julio Jones come around every so often.

Personally, I have no issue nor quarrel with Tomlin's ability to find great talent with intangibles like physical characteristics.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Not to be rude but I do wish to hear your reasons why.

16. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sammie Chokes is gone

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Coates was doing quite well before the injury. Now the question becomes is his head on right.

He'll be back next season, he's not getting cut. Whether he can catch or not, we'll find out.

18. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Bryant doesn't have great hands either though! There is a reason we drafted him where we did.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Much of his reason for falling as far as he did was character concerns.

His hands were suspect but made big time plays when we needed him to. Just look back at the 2015 AFC Wild Card game. No receiver with bad hands should have made that catch at all.

I was hoping we would be the guy for us this season but instead lets the team down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. After showing what he can do earlier this year, I am not ready to fire up the buzz saw on Coates just yet.

21. Ohio Steeler

Ohio Steeler Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I think a draft day trade is very possible. AB's antics are wearing thin on management,coaches,and even his teammates.He is due a big payday real soon and I dont think he is worth the gamble.Why not trade him now and get something vs him walking away and not getting nothing.The Steelers dont need a T.O. or Chad Johnson on the team.They are a locker room cancer that divides the team. AB's choice to skip the presser after the game does not help matters.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not even remotely.

He's nothing like TO or other locker room cancers. Why? Because of some penalties for dancing after TD's and a live FB video?

His teammates love him, as cited by every beat writer that spends time in the locker room. Some fans are making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    While I in no way see it happening, serious question...just curious what others think:

what kind of offer would it take for Pittsburgh to trade AB?

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bryant had his fair share of drops too. 9.8% in 2015. Highest on the team. Actually 2nd to Matt Spaeth but he only had 3 targets and dropped 1. Bryant had 92 targets and 50 receptions.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Multiple first round draft picks from Cleveland. That way we could get really high picks and hopefully use them to get a replacement for Ben. Also then AB wouldn't really be able to hurt us playing against us because Cleveland would never be able to find a qb that could get it to him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2