1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Jan 27, 2017.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    not saying i want to see AB traded, cut or gone, just a hypothetical trade that to me would be very intriguing.

AB for Aaron Donald. the Rams need offensive weapons bad and the Steelers need pass rushers just as bad. Donald is still young and hasnt yet reached his full potential. i do think the Rams would need to throw in a draft pick to make it happen, but just curious to see what people think of it.

again, i love AB and i dont want him gone.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our offense gets neutered and their D gets neutered lol

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    A lot depends on contract situation. AB only has one yr left, so the Steelers only has 1 yr of AB to offer in a trade. I can't see how that brings back big return, like 1st round picks etc.

But Aaron Donald has played 3 yrs, I guess he's still in a rookie contract, so assume like Lev Bell he has just a yr left, but I guess he'd be restricted.

In any case, if I'm the Rams, I'm looking a trading a 10 sack /yr ProBowl DL who at 25 still has hasn't peaked yet,for a 29yr old Pro Bowl WR who might have played his best yrs and won't have a Big Ben throwing to him.

I think if I'm them, I say "No thanks" on the straight up deal, and "NFW" on the idea that I kick in a draft pick on top of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking this is why the word "hypothetical" was invented.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    if your the Rams you have to look at it like this. they suck. they mortgaged their future on drafting a qb. they have zero weapons for him to throw to. they are now competing with the Chargers to win over the LA fan base. they have a new head coach that is offensive minded and would love to have a real weapon to use for his young qb.

like i said. this is just hypothetical, but it makes sense. AB for as much as i love him he has shown he loves the spot light. what better place to have it shine on him than LA?

wrs are not the issue with the Steelers. its the lack of a consistent pass rush. a better pass rush would do wonders for that young secondary.

you add a young guy like Donald to go with Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave and Shazier, you have the makings of a pretty good front 7.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    no way. Donald would be wasted in a 3-4

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Fans keep saying we need pass rushers. . We need pressure. Period

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Some wide receivers are great even without an elite QB. I don't put A.B. in that category. Look at his stats without Ben. Rams don't do this. Steelers would do it in a second.

9. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Well I guess it would be fair to say that Antonio's numbers would definitely be "goff"ful in that contact year lol.

10. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    If I'm moving AB, I'm doing if for a top 1st round draft pick in position to draft a franchise QB in the 2018 draft. (Since that is the good qb class, right?)

I would be ecstatic, mostly because we need a young stud QB very soon. We can always find quality receivers. Its not going to matter if we have AB because if we have no one to throw him the ball, we are not scaring anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    AD doesn't fit the 3-4 system. That's why I'm not even sure if the Steelers draft him if the Rams don't snag him before us. Not to mention he's going to be due a huge contract soon. We already gave Cam a lot of money. That would be too much on d-line. Only hope is maybe at the end of his career after he gets paid he comes home for a year or 2 to live his childhood dream or chase a ring.

I'd do Pryor, this years 2nd, 3rd, and their 1st next year for AB. Jax wouldn't do it but a similar trade for Hurns or Robinson.

Basically any team where we could get a player that could come in right now and help and a 1st this year or preferably next year. Doesn't have to be a WR. Maybe we could take a look at Brandon Marshall if he doesn't want too much money. Good replacement that probably only has like 2-3 years left like Ben.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If the steelers really wanted Donald in the 2014 draft they only had to trade up from 15 to 12 to get him, the rams took him at 13, and maybe they could have traded up two spots with the rams to get him, they took shazier at 15 so I dont even think they wanted Donald to begin with, Donald did have his doubters because of his body proportions, 6 foot height and 285 weight..........

13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The money we'll spend on Brown would probably pay for Donald and a solid free-agent WR. Not that I advocate the trade ...

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Absolutely not. There are too many Alabama and SEC studs coming out this year that we can get for cheap and will make an instant impact for our team

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How much are we even in our base defense anymore?

Elite is subjective. Name WR's that are great without a good QB throwing them the ball?

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    most of the time we havew 3 dlineman or 2 on the field. now if we made the switch to a 4-3 or 4 dlineman. you couldn't do better than Donald. imo

17. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    You don't trade your key assets.

IMHO, this means: Ben, Bell, Brown, Heyward, Shazier...

18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We must not have been watching the same games. We have a #1 WR and a bunch of also rans.

I like a lot of the guys we have...but the reason we had 3 guys go from practice squad to game day hat is because there was not much difference between them and the guy a head of them. There was a HUGE drop off from AB to #2.

MY WR UNIT IN 2017

AB, Bryant, Coates, Hey Bey, Rogers and one more spot for Hamilton, Ayers, and a draft pick to battle it out for. My fav WR in the draft. Ricky Seals Jones. 6'5" 240lbs....reported 40 time 4.5's..... Megatron Body....Bryant Hands....Blocks like he enjoys it. Kid is a mismatch...and if he ever puts it all together a nightmare to defend. IMO his Ceiling = Megatron / Floor = Kelvin Benjamin

HACK

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Would immediately be our best lineman. Interesting, who makes up for Brown's TD's?

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pretty sure he meant CB's.

Ayers will be part of the corps, he won't be fighting it out with a draft pick.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not true, Top 4 highest paid d-linemen all made more than the highest paid WR this season. AD is the best and going to cash out. He will probably get more than AB.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good is also subjective, but Mike Evans was a beast this year with Winston throwing to him and TB doesn't have much to compliment him. D. Thomas and Sanders each had a 1000yd season and they had Semien and Lynch. And neither of those teams had a running game to speak of. I think AB would put up big numbers without a good QB but he definitely would need a competent #2.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess but I think you'll have an easier time getting people to agree who is good than who is elite. Plenty of people don't feel Ben is elite but Im not sure you'll find anyone who doesn't think he is good.

Lynch and Semien dont have a big enough body of work yet, Im talking about established QB's. And I dont feel 1,000 yards = great anyway. AB has had great seasons, 1500 yards, 1700 yards, 1800 yards.

I think Winston is going to be a very good QB, by the way, so maybe it is subjective :smiley1:

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

You do when they become more of a distraction then they are worth. See Holmes, Santonio. Or you just let them go free agent. I'm not saying Antonio or Bell are there yet, but their antics will eventually catch up to them.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If we're talking "hypothetical" then I would just find a way to get Larry Fitzgerald to play his last year where his football career sorta started. He's due almost 12 million this coming year though and is thinking about retirement.