1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you rank the Steelers...and other teams?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    For a number of years I have talked to fans of the Steelers and other teams, because I am often in other NFL cities, about how a team needs far more than talent to win in the NFL. People tend to place far too much emphasis on talent.

Here is the rating system I created to express that point.

You rate a given team in the following 6 categories from 1 - 10 where 1 represents the worst in the NFL and 10 represents the best in the NFL (10 does not represent perfection). Ownership; General Management; Coaching; Culture; Leadership; Talent. Talent is really the only category that can change dramatically year by year.

How do you rate the Steelers? Here's mine for the past season:

Ownership 7 (used to be 10)
    General Management 8
    Coaching 6
    Culture 7 (despite the mess of the last three years)
    Leadership 9
    Talent 5

Total = 42 The strong showing in categories other than talent is why we were able to compete despite crippling injuries.

This is why I was so confident prior to the season that the Browns would fail, they scored a 1 or 2 in all categories but talent.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think 'leadership' should use to be a 9 but is about 4 nowadays.
    We miss Dan Rooney, Cowher, all the leaders on the "we dey" squad.
    Ben says "leadership pffft. I'll just go deep for the win." AB was our veteran receiver before taking his sideshow on the road. Remember our leader M. Mitchell? Enough said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No need to rank until we show up at camp next year because it will be quite different.:cool:

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It all adds up to 8-8.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yep, no need to rank yet. But......like I said, the only meter that can fluctuate dramatically from year to year is talent. Remember just a few years ago when our ownership and culture would have been a 10 and how it took multiple monumental clusterfucks to bring them down to 7?

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Rating and rakings mean nothing. What matters is how you perform.

The Browns failed mostly this year because Mayfield didn't improve his game over last season. Mayfield didn't take a step up. He took a step back.

Good coaching and defensive execution kept the Steelers in the hunt for the playoffs. Poor QB play, injuries, penalties, and offensive turnovers are what brought the Steelers down as a team.

The Steelers remain a well run and well coached team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers are well run organization. Look at the last 50 years is proof enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    But Hot Damn we take responsibility for that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    2, likely 3..even possibly 4 Steeler Blue Bloods being added to the HOF this year...yes past Glory, but a testament to the greatness of how well this organization has performed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is a good snapshot of where we are right now. Sure it may change but it would interesting to have a benchmark of what we thought today vs how we perceive the team Week 1 in 2020. So, for me, today, I rank as follows:

Ownership 8
    General Management 8
    Coaching HC 6 Coordinators 4
    Culture 6
    Leadership 6
    Talent 6

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    After you embrace it first.

12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    As a coach, my performance carried over on to the field. I didn't physically contribute in the games, but it was up to me to prepare the team mentally and physically. Their performance was a direct reflection of their preparation. I was responsible for that preparation. So I have to disagree when anyone says that wins and losses start and end on the field.

Mayfield didn't improve. Fine. Was that on him or his coaches? I say more on the coaches. Players play and coaches coach. When a player underperforms or regresses, coaches need to be working to correct it, because the coaches allowed it.

We are who we are, a team ran well enough to be .500 and coached well enough to be .500. Well run and well coached teams aren't 8-8 at the end of the season. People lose jobs when they can't do better than 8-8 over a period of time. Want to know why that is? Because it isn't acceptable. It certainly isn't well run and well coached, no matter what color glasses you wear.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN 0

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't think there was a category for double-talking. Pretty sure the category was "coaching." Wait...Tomlin WOULD get a 0 for coaching and an 11 for double-talking. You were correct. Sorry about that.

(I'll set my stopwatch and time how long it takes for @steelersrule6 to show up crying and moaning about me being mean to his idol)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The Steelers coaching will achieve mediocre results regardless of talent level. If you like mediocrity, then yes.

16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well that certainly isn't a fact but ok if that's what you believe.