1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe they should protest by not accepting the dollar bills that say United States of America on them. :hmm::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    While not knowing the reason for his hypothetical peaceful demonstration I can't say that I disagree or agree with the action. However, I fully support his constitutional rights to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how would you feel if he put tape over the American flag on the back of his helmet?:cool:

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Going, going,.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would respect his right to do it but as a fan of the Steelers I would not like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Exactly

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Careful people here are going to accuse you of making this up.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have witnessed it as well. I've been to college games where the concessions are going strong during the National Anthem and no one makes a move to stop and show respect.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a curious sidebar question. I've never paid much attention to the London games or the Mexico city ones. Do they play the American National Anthem at those games?

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, both British and American in London, and Mexican down there. I suspect Home crowd second like hockey.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Don't know about Mexico or the UK, but at the time of the Iraqi Freedom invasion I was in Australia and went with a coworker to an Aussie Rules Football match. Since it as the season opener and since Aus had troops in Iraq, they started the match with the Australian national anthem. Normally, they didn't do that. And it lead to some discussion amount the people I was with....most of whom didn't know the words to 'Advance Australia Fair'. Was in Aus earlier this yr and went to Aussie rules again, and no anthem.

So I take it that starting a sporting event with the national anthem isn't a given around the world.

12. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    If his terms of employment say stand during the National Anthem, then he stands or gets disciplined. Can terms of employment override his First Amendment rights? Yes, as mine, yours and everyone else's who has a job do. Does institutional racism exist in America? No, it has been outlawed. Does racism exist? Yes. Does a protest by a millionaire during the National Anthem before a sporting event have any positive effect on the protester's cause? No. Do those millionaires who stand even know why they are standing? No, most couldn't pass a 1970's Civic test, couldn't name the three branches of the Federal government, and don't know anything about the history of this great country. Do I give a ****? Absolutely not. Play ball.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Copy cat league in a copy cat world...

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When I was young I watched Jack Lambert on the sideline take off his helmet and put his hand on his heart while he sang the national anthem. To this day, I take off my hat and do the same.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Just wondering! Does anyone here have a problem with the reasons of the protest or care if anything is ever done about the actual reasons they're protesting?

When you say "they should protest on their own time", do you rather they protest in a way that you don't have to ever hear about them protesting?

Asking for a friend!

16. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016

The "reasons" they are protesting are based on lies and false premises.

17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I would feel betrayed if he did that & wouldn't want him on the team anymore. I don't care if it was any of the killer B's, the coach, owner ...your so ungrateful & disrespect the flag, then F you, know what I mean?? We all need to be grateful we were not born in places like North Korea, Pakistan, Ethiopia, etc. The reasons for not respecting the flag are unfounded. Without police our society would be anarchy. We as decent human beings need to start respecting law enforcement. 2-legged animals out here murdering police as if it's hunting season ...not cool. Politics should stay outta sports & vice versa. Protest on your own time. We pay players to perform, not protest...

I'm very pleased Kapernick's career is over as it should be. I hope Burger King rejects his application...

18. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hhhmmm! What are these lies and premises?

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So his form of silent respectful protest is disrespectful to the flag but turning the flag into a bikini an wearing it snuggled up against the two waste processing points in your body is considered good taste?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My problem, is not with the action, but the distraction. I serve in the US military to protect my rights, my family's rights, and my nation's rights. So, whether or not I agree with the content of the protest, I support the right to protest so long as it is non-violent against other citizens. Having said that, Jerry Jones also has the right to say he will not tolerate the act by his players. Contracts with our employers do not go against the 1st amendment.

Having said that, I'm upset at Bell for not signing his contract and participating with the team. In the same vein, it is overlooked too often that the QB who used to play for the 49ers decided not to sign a contract with them. He could be there, now. Perhaps he wanted more money, perhaps he wanted more time. He had an offer and didn't take it.

So why won't other teams sign him? First, I believe it's a football decision. Not every team wants a QB of his style. Different systems and all. Plus, they may not feel his performance these last few years is what they are looking for. Or, maybe his price tag / demands for length of contract is too high. Those are all normal "football" reasons. They are legitimate reasons for a team to look somewhere else.

Miami's coach was familiar with Cutler. Baltimore has had Mallet on the roster for a while. And perhaps believe Flacco will be ready. So, those franchises could be excused for "football" reasons.

Then again, maybe, they don't want the distraction. Maybe they are completely supportive of the former 49er QB doing his thing, just, for another team. If the goal is to win games, maybe this type of "distraction" is not the way to do it.

So if Gilbert or some other hypothetical player chose to face James Harrison and do this, okay. But I would be concerned if the media frenzy would disrupt the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It has been reported that he actually HAS been offered a deal or two but has turned them down to continue this narrative. I don't know if that's true or not but what I DO know is that we never heard him whining about "oppression" or whatever nonsense he carries on with while he was still the starter. It was only after the league got tape on him and he was about to get demoted that he suddenly started crying "oppression". I wish I could meet him and explain to him the difference between "oppression" and "sucking as a quarterback and losing your job because of it". I think it would go a long way toward solving some of his delusions.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Suddenly I want to listen to the Black Crowes... LOL!

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    BFT I don't think he was speaking up about his own oppression but rather trying to shine light on the cause of racial equality. I think that is where people get so upset and resent a highly paid, highly visible member of the NFL protesting racial inequality when he isn't saying I have it tough but rather lets talk about how others have it tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was actually hoping the Ravens would sign him. I want them to have the distraction

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    At wrestling events on foreign soil they always play the hosting nation's anthem but will then sing America The Beautiful. Well at least back in the day they would anyway. Borat sang the Khazakstan National Anthem at an American rodeo and it was a rousing success. It tells of how they have the best potassium in the world and how all other potassiums of the world are inferior. If you're proud to be where you're from you should sing about it no matter what. I would probably sing Dixie if I was in California. But NEVER Rocky Top. I've heard that one enough. LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.