1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    How would you feel if a highly known but not superstar, let's says Marcus Gilbert, sat, kneeled, stood with a fist raised during the national anthem?

I may get in trouble but it's a topic. So flirting with forum rules, let us have a honest, non-attack discussion centered around Marcus Gilbert's hypothetical actions.

This topic is apparent, possibly inherent, in the sport we love that is populated, in majority, by those that feel a certain way. Do you support how Marcus Gilbert feels?

I do have a strong opinion on the subject; land of the free and home of the brave. On one of the biggest stages Marcus Gilbert spoke. Maybe not words but action.

The NFL will never speak of the action but the media will. The NFL can be a soapbox. As the largest, in many ways, sport in the United States is it not a reflection of those that love the game? All of us that love the game?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Someone will be offended and and someone will verbally lash out........ We have become an over sensitive society.

I support Gilberts right to protest..... I don't support disrespecting the flag or the National Anthem. Way WAY Too many other options available!!!

Cajun

Go Steelers and Go America!!! I Love you Both

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had a fairly well thought out response here, and I'm fairly certain this post would have been closed shortly thereafter.

I'm looking forward to watching Watt again Sunday.

Go Yinz Stillers n' at

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can someone kneel in protest during the anthem and still be respectful of the flag and the national anthem?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am not sure I understand the problem nor the question. Ignorance is bliss

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    you wouldn't kneel with marcus gilbert?

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Fair enough, I disagree but that is why we have debates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't agree with the kneeling. It just seems like circular logic. Protest against the country that gives you the right to protest. I agree with Cajun, there are a lot of options that would produce greater results imo. What has the kneeling accomplished except debates in the media about an athlete's right to do this and the "kneel-watch" that happens pre-game. Whether they kneel or not has become more of the story.

A lot of these athletes have great charitable programs. Those actually affect people. Kneeling for the anthem shows disrespect to our country on a whole. They are kneeling for one flawed part of it. No country is perfect. If they really want to achieve change, they should hone their energies into something that will really do something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Just my $0.02, but if someone were going to demonstrate during the anthem to protest, that is the only respectful way to do it. Kneeling is still showing reverence.

Now if they acted out, turned their back, flipped the bird, shot the moon, plain sat down or any of a million other ways to be disrespectful, I'd be angry.

I know I'm in the minority with that thought. That's fine. But the place I'm coming from is that even if I disagree completely with someone, they still have the right to do it... within reason (read: no violence, threats, intimidation, or the intentional fomenting of them). In a perfect world, they'd find a better way to make their point. And frankly, as a figure seen weekly or more often on TV, they damn sure DO have better ways. So demonstrating in that fashion alienates more people than it persuades. It's self defeating. It's... stupid. But again, it's their right. And maybe I just try too hard to see good intentions where they don't exist. God knows I've been wrong before.

I have a follow up question, but it's not for this forum. It truly would go against the board's rules (or descend the thread into it anyway. LOL)

Speaking of, putting my mod hat on, a reminder, fellow Steeler brethren: keep it dispassionate if you can. We're treading a fine line here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm planning to kneel to protest Real Steel's presence here this season. Does that make me a revolutionary?

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    no...just one of the common

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably. Most of us just protest by applying palm to face.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! I've thought about saying I will donate $20 in the screen name of everyone that will put that moron on their ignore list. I'm devoted. LOL!!!

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    What? And miss the comedy?!?!

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    His posts are sort of like avante garde art or something. It's like "well...if you're in to that sort of thing..." LOL! I think we should have a training thread for all newcomers to equip them to deal with our resident non-Steeler fan troll. There have been many over the years but he's like the cockroach that survives the nuclear winter. I think even if TTF banned him his account would still survive and then he would start a thread titled "Banning Me Means Nothing If..." to which he would create but then literally never respond to a single reply it would garner. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

18. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Title 4 and Title 36 of the United States Code deal with conduct and display of the flag.

Experts say that US flag etiquette is important because it was created out of respect for the country's historical heritage.

But the code was first drawn up only in 1923 under the auspices of the American Legion, and only became law when the US was at war, in 1942.

For example, you were not allowed to make jewelry out oof the flag until a 1976 admentment allowed flag pins, for military, policemen, firemen, to wear.

The Flag Code covers all aspects of etiquette in relation to the Stars and Stripes, including how to behave when the anthem is played. The code is never enforced, however, and there is no punishment for breaching it.

For many this is an emotional issue due to their own history and unbringing. To the NFL, it's dollars and dollars, tv ratings and what do people like to see......not whether what they see is free speech or disrespect....what keeps them from switching channels or getting so mad, they lose concentration on the next product commercial.

Personally, I have been to many games where fans did not stand, did not go silent, do not stop talking.
    And that is okay with me, not what I do. How a player kneeling is so great a crime but some fans do little? I feel this a NFL corporate image issue.

19. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    My opinion on the original questions posted:

Freedom of speech, freedom of opinion, freedom to practice or refute the practice of religion....so long as your rights and freedoms do not infringe upon the rights and freedoms of others. BUT STILL everything is and always will be matter of opinion. Marcus Gilbert is both right and wrong at the same time.

In the realism of today's world: just because I'm a fan of the sport of football, the NFL, Steelers, RT's (or QB's or whichever position takes a knee) does not mean I support, or am a reflection of all aspects of it. And here's an oversimplified analogy: "I like to eat chicken", 'why don't you eat the chicken bones?', "Because if I eat the chicken bones it will almost definitely get caught in my throat or cut my throat or stomach...and I would probably get hurt and require medical attention", '...but I thought you said you liked to eat chicken...'
    Translation: don't eat chicken bones :think:

In an ideal world: If I buy Nike shoes with the confirmed knowledge that Nike products are made in immorally and unethically run child sweatshops, than yes, I support the exploitation of child labour. :beathorse:

Saw someone mention it earlier in the thead...THE NFL DOES NOT REALLY CARE...so long as its profitable. I'm sure it can't be all clear sailing, but this topic is pretty big time publicity for the NFL outside traditional NFL viewers...so more revenue for the NoFunLeague.:goodellsucks:

And choosing Marcus Gilbert as the player in question, as opposed to ANY player, was completely random, right?

Just an opinion...and FINALLY TRYING TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE FORUMS :steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Is not making an action on America's biggest sport stage something?

21. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012

What's the question!!!

22. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    As I said, a great player but not a superstar. I'm not sure what youre implying.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As I've said before, Real Steel is the embodiment of the boards collective conscience. So you would be less revolutionary and more self-deprecating.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL. No. Just my overworked, tired, warped mind at play. Way out of bounds. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. PittAlum86

PittAlum86 Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Since I have used the term "snowflake" as a personal descriptor as well as shook my head at the concept of safe spaces and "triggering", I feel I would be a hypocrite if I got upset over this issue. I don't like it but so what? There are a lot of things that have changed with this sport that have pissed me off since I began following it in the 1970's. I'm still following but when my enjoyment lags behind my discouragement I guess I will move on.

If there is a level of enforcement against something like this, I believe it should be up to the owner and head coach. They have a Brand to consider or a tone to set. To me it is somewhat like enforcing a dress code.

I don't know where we are at as a country right now but I'm personally trying really hard not to become enraged at something I do not agree with but doesn't really impact me. This realization came to me not long ago when I discovered I was being triggered by others being triggered. Eff that.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.