1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How will Ike do against Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerD, Oct 21, 2011.

1. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    How does everyone feel about this match up? Will Ike follow Fitz, or will he stay on the right side?

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Ike will be on him quite a bit.

However, I think the pass rush on Kolb is the most important aspect of slowing down Fitz..

3. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Like white on rice. Fitz won't do much with Ike on him.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So long as we don't sit way back in zone coverage, I think we'll be ok.

5. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree that the pass rush is key. However the def backfield will have to cover long enough for the pressure to get there. But Kolb is not a quick release type like the Steelers have had trouble with in the past. He hangs on to it a little longer to allow things to develop downfield. Let's hope that results in some pressure and sacks. Maybe even a turnover or two.

6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    turnovers? whats that?

7. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    Just watch Ben's performance in game 1. Lot's of good examples.

8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Ike will cover him like a blanket.

But let's be realistic. Fitz will still get his grabs. He's just that special of a WR. You can play him perfect and he'll still pull something out of thin air.

That is... if Kolb can get the ball to him.

Overall, I think we'll be ok here so long as we don't out-think ourselves.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is the absolute key. We've always been best (in recent years at least) playing no-nonsense, down-the-throat football. DId that against Ten and it worked a charm. More of this, please.

Let's save our smoke and mirrors for NE. Let's just beat the living **** out of Arizona.

(Besides, thinking is largely overrated.)

10. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe I read on the Post today that Ike will cover him mainly, but the Steelers plan on giving him a lot of help because one player cannot cover someone as good as he is on their own.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ike will have another solid, if unspectacular game. Fitz doesn't worry me nearly as much with Kolb as he did with Warner at QB, plus, it's more of a question on who is Gay going to leave open? PWP was touting the virtues of Rob Housler, but not so sure a single TE can do too much damage against us. Fitz will give us trouble near the red zone on some post patterns, but other than that he'll be mostly a non-factor as far as stats are concerned.

12. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That could be the matchup that decides the game. I give the edge to Ike because he is playing lights out this season and Fitz is still adjusting to a new QB

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that pressure is the key. Ike will be solid, but in order to contain the whole game, he will need the pass rush to get to Kolb.