1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How much did the loss

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Nov 21, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Of Mason Cole hurt us in the 2nd half? He left the game in the second quarter. Once hassenwhatshisname took over we were pretty inept offensively. Four straight 3 and out to start the second half

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We needed HoFer Kendrick Green to play

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I would say it didn't help. Honestly I didn't know this till way later on in the game. I thought He had come back in...until later.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Can he catch a perfectly thrown touchdown? If so his loss hurt greatly late in the 4th quarter.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Cole had overall been pretty solid so it certainly didn’t help. I don’t think it was the difference in winning or losing but the offensive line was pretty abysmal in the second half.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The reason the Steelers lost is because they gave up 37 points on defense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know .....if You really boil it down....I agree.
    Does the Offense need to play better.....Yes...definitely.....in all aspects, but You can't expect to win many games giving up 37 points.....rookie, or no rookie.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The defense was a HUGE disappointment yesterday. All we kept hearing was how great this defense could be if everyone was healthy. Well, everyone on the highly compensated defense was healthy and it looked absolutely pathetic and totally unprepared to play! Two 90+ yard drives at crucial times in the game was the difference. The offense didn’t play lights out but if any of us were told the Steelers offense would score 30 points in the game we’d have felt pretty good about our chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Would the defense have given up 37 points if the offense hadn’t gone 3 and out 4 times to start the second half? Would the defense have given up a 90 yard drive if the offense had at least managed a field goal after starting at the bengals 45? Multiple sacks, hits, and turnovers by the defense against one of the better offenses in the league.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    No, it would have only given up 31 points which would have still been a loss.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes it would help. Agreed, but with no turnovers by the offense...so that can't be blamed.....rookie, or no rookie.....You will not win a lot of games if the D gives up 37 points.
    That's just way too many points by a team that's supposed to be a good D. IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Don’t discount Burroughs or burrows. That guy’s passes were laser guided. He was putting the ball where only his receivers could make a play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Your math is terrible

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    In all seriousness, the offense didn’t support the defense either. But, I think we expect more from this defense and the fact is they played a poor game yesterday irrespective of what the offense did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No I agree that He's very good......still a good defense shouldn't give up 37 points. Also some of those tds given up were big YAC tds. So that's a lot of piss poor tackling, and that's the most upsetting IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Three TDs scored on passes thrown BEHIND the LOS. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought something like that, but didn't want to say until I watched again....because somethings I'm not always sure about after the 1st watch....because of in the moment excitement, or disappointment.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Especially since the Bengals were without Chase, and Mixon missed most of the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    If it's realistic to expect an offense with a rookie QB and rookie receiver, suspect o-line, and less than stellar O.C. to go beat the defending AFC Champions, then it should be just as realistic to expect a veteran defense that was relatively healthy to do their part as well. Both units didn't do enough to win the game. Pretty simple.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s apparently NEVER happened before in the modern NFL. It seems like the Steelers have had a lot of those “never happened before” records over the last few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    It would be nice for the offense to not go ice cold and put the defense back on the field, I'm assuming the Time of Possession in the 2nd half must be abysmal (I haven't looked) but the defense eventually just gasses out because we don't have the depth to rotate fresh guys up front. Tackling was atrocious at times (Cue Spillane non tackle). Can I get a Jack Ham or Lambert video to these guys on how to wrap up vs the shoulder hit or arm tackle. I hear Lombardi in my head, "everyone grabbing grabbing grabbing". The Bengals made 2nd half adjustments and I'm not sure we made any. We just waste to many downs with dumb plays, like throwing immediately to the end zone or running the standard up the middle running play on 2nd down for 1 yard or no yard gain. We just don't get a game where the offense and defense both are playing well at the same time. The **** o-line along with a **** coordinator doesn't give you a chance.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Until we get a competent running game going, the Steelers and whoever is QBing the Steelers
    will struggle. There is no way KP should be throwing the football more than 35/game at this
    early stage in his career. HE NEEDS HELP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    5 of our second half possessions lasted 90 seconds or less. That’s how your defense gives up two 90 yard drives

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bengals had 17 points at halftime, so they were on pace for 34 before all that happened. Maybe stop making excuses for the defense. They were bad. The two turnovers were great plays. The sacks were nice, but they didn't get nearly enough pressure against a team that struggles in pass protection. The Steelers were as healthy as they are going to get. The Bengals were missing Chase and lost Mixon early. The game was in Pittsburgh. With all of those advantages, playing that poorly was inexcusable.

Don't get me wrong. Getting nothing after starting on the Bengals' 47 was a killer, especially after starting the drive with a 13-yard run. The shaky holding call on Freiermuth and the screw-up on the next play costing them five more yards just killed the drive. It didn't help that Pickett missed Harris on first down when he might have gotten 10 yards on the play. None of that is an excuse for the defense. There was no massive difference in time of possession. It wasn't a matter of the defense being tired. They just couldn't get enough pressure and they couldn't cover worth a damn.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1