1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many saw the non PI call

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Justafan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Justafan

Justafan Member

Jan 2, 2012
    in the Rats game at the end? Blatant non-call in the end zone with the ref staring right at it. Balto defender hanging all over the receiver which would have put the ball at the one with Cincy down by eight. Anything smell fishy to anyone else here? Even in the midget leagues the refs get that one right. Think RG might not have wanted the Steelers to have the #2 seed?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There were some bad calls in that game, agreed. I doubt it had anything to do with Goodell, other than to make the rules about PI too complex now to have enough consistency. Without consistency, one team will always appear to have the upper hand with the refs. Remember that most of the rest of the league honestly believe that the refs are on our side all the time.

3. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was a horrible non call. Even the announcers couldnt believe a flag wasnt thrown??? Conspiracy, i dont think so. But for some reason the rats are getting ALL the calls in their favor this year? Hopefully the playoffs are called a little more consistintly!

4. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As well as ESPN and NBC for hours...and hours
    Yes, hopefully, but I have my doubts. Hopefully we can reap some of the benefits. :hmmm:

5. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you suppose these MISSED calls are reviewed by anyone? Like an officiating commitee of sorts?

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  7. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Another case of "who polices the police" huh!

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, they are - I seem to remember Mike Perreira talking about it when he used to do that spot on NFL Total Access. They grade the officiating crews after every game, and that's how they decide who goes to the play-off games.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes. I don't know the details but at the end of every year ref performance, calls and non-calls, are reviewed by the league and the head of officiating in an effort to improve ref performance. When you see plays like that though you have to wonder how effective their process is. Problem is though these guys are humans and humans make mistakes so there will always be blown calls and non-calls.

10. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    That officiating crew was horrible! I'm not just saying that because of the Ravens opportune penalties, either! It was both sides of the ball. Bleh. Let's please not have this stuff in the playoffs.

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This game was a joke. The Bengals got hosed big time.

On another side, did anyone see the Pats game and the roughing the passer call against the Bills?? Driving the QB into the ground? lol I mean I know it was Brady but I wasnt even sure he fell at first. It was a SHOVE. Unreal.... :banghead:

12. Justafan

Justafan Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I hear you all. And I sure hate to think that the sport that I love to watch is being influenced by Vegas or New York. But some of these games outcomes are being directly swayed by the officiating. If the officials continue along these lines, what's to happen to this fabulous game?
    Holding by the offensive line? Practically every play. Why make a call or no call on specific plays?
    Downfield holding? Same thing.
    Roughing the passer? Maybe as many as 10 times this year on Ben with no call vs. how many against Brady?
    Much more, but that's a sample of what causes me to become irate and throw things at my tv.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the rats can score only in two way ;a long run by rice (regularly ),then there is a the refs pi (invented), of course the refs helps also on defense

14. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I can't wait for marcia to retire. How many years you think he will continue to play? Now that I think about it, probably a lot since the rules keep changing to protect him. In a few years he'll be standing on a platform to throw from, any defender will have to climb stairs to get to him and then they'll have to hit a little red buttom rather than tackle him.

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Bengals got ripped off many times in this game. There were some unbelievable illegal contact calls, that offensive PI call, the personal foul, the non-PI at the end. There was a drive in the 2nd quarter, I believe the one that ended with a Pitta TD, where the Ravens seemed to get every single yard in BS penalties.

I know as well as anyone that sometimes you get bad calls, but you look at a game like that and it's hard to imagine that the refs weren't trying to influence the game. They weren't a bunch of shady calls that luckily went Baltimore's way, they were completely fabricated, made up out of thin air at convenient moments to crush Cincinatti.

16. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yep, that one drive alone I think the Bengals got flagged for 4-5 penalties. Practically walked the Ravens into the Endzone. :thumbsdown:

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: Yeah, and once the button is pushed, he'll have three more seconds to throw... before getting a five second warning.

18. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Bad calls / no-calls happen in every game to every team.

19. Justafan

Justafan Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But don't ya think that if the refs were on the up-and-up, every now and then they would notice that they're f-ing up and giving unfair advantage to one team or the other and try to do something about it?

20. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Anyone else in favor of just eliminating all judgement call penalties altogether for the playoffs? Who cares if our receivers get mugged, just do the same thing back to them. It would make for some interesting games.

21. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What are they supposed to do? Get one ref for every player on the field so they never miss a call? Do instant replay on every play?

I agree that the refs have been bad this season but like I said, calls go both ways.

22. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    *snap

Wallace throws his defender to the ground *SLAM

*takes off at 42.5 mph.

*touchdown

*defense goes onto the field
    *snap

*fist fight

23. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Detroit got hosed also on a potential TD that should have been, but the refs said no. That took away 4 points...they lost by 4. Detroit was out of challenges and they only review scoring plays that are called scores not plays that should have been called scores. This call cost them the #5 seed and now they have to play NO vice the Giants. Pretty significant screw up there.

24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Except they don't in a lot of games.

The Ravens have 3-4 wins they probably shouldn't as a result of lopsided "pass penalty" calls.

I'm trying real hard not to get into conspiracy territory, but it seems to me that as "subjective" as these calls are, it's really easy to influence a game - intentionally or not - through them.

Don't get me started on what's considered holding, PI, defensive holding, illegal contact, helmet to helmet, and roughing the passer on US vs what's called for us.

25. Justafan

Justafan Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I saw that, too. It was a significant error. But that one is easier to call a "mistake" due to the speed of the play and the location of the referee. The one in the Rats/Bungles game was blatantly incompetent / dirty as the ref was staring directly at the play and in perfect position to make the call.