1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

how many of newly signed FA's are 'starters'?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Mar 31, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I take it the kid from Philly, OG, is penciled in.

are both ILB's?

and Peterson, I assume.

what about this new S from Tampa? Anyone follow the Bucs - is he any good, or just an Edmunds look alike?

So, have we really improved? maybe a little, is what I would say. My biggest hope is OG. He looks like a significant upgrade.

outside of that, as the saying goes, "we will see".

we have just restocked what we lost or cut, basically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd say on paper both ILBs are upgrades but it might take a bit of time to form some cohesion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think it depends (especially on the D) the role they are signed for. Peterson is obviously a starter, the S from The may not be a part of the starting 11, but the snap count can be nearly as much. I think it's important to note not only the position, but can they fulfill their roles in the different packages.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm assuming Peterson, Kazee, Holcomb, Roberts, and Seumalo will be opening day starters. Although I do still think they'll draft an ILB. But, I don't see a rookie coming in and starting day one.

I think Neal will play back up S and be our Nickel LB.

Herbig will likely be a back up swing G.

Clarke will be the back up swing T unless they draft a stud T. Then I think he's really fighting for a roster spot. Cause I still think they need a back up natural C.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Holcomb and Roberts are significant upgrades over Bush, Jack, and Spillane.

Peterson isn't an All-Pro any more, but he's probably comparable to Sutton. Maybe he's a small downgrade.

Seumalo is a big upgrade over Dotson. He is just as physical and a much smarter player.

Neal is probably comparable to Edmunds when he is on the field, but he is a big downgrade in durability, which was a big strength in Edmunds' game.

Of course, the free agent class isn't just new guys. Kazee and Ogunjobi are both starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we have done a bunch more than restocked we have definitely upgraded but not by monumental amounts

But it does allow us to draft BPA and hopefully if all goes well that improves us as those rookies grow

Then there is still the possibility of grabbing an older player or two with a few miles left on the tires as camp cuts and that could improve us a bit

Tske all of those little bits of improvement and do that 2 years in a row and we “could” have a real competitive team down the stretch in 2024

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If KFP takes another step this year.....We will be highly competitive this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m reading what sounds like a lot of C level grades here in this thread, but people don’t want to sound as pessimistic(?) as me.

Or, we grade in a different curve. Because when I hear things like “slight improvement” I think C-grade.

B-grades are for a moderate jump and significant is obviously an A-grade.

This team needs or needed to get a B grade from where they were last year with all the holes, despite what KFP does. Him needing to get better is a given. We will see…

CB = v
    S = v
    LB = ^
    DL = <>
    OL = ^ (^^ 2 maybe?)
    TE = <>
    WR = v
    RB = <>
    QB = <>

3 down grades
    2 up grades (possibly 3 because of OL)
    4 same

Seems like a C or worse to me.

Stagnant!

Even if you gave the OL a twice up grade (as is appropriate) we still stay neutral and a C. Not sure how people think we’ve improved much *overall*…

Front office should have done better. Love to hear how that’s wrong.

The expectations aren’t overly lofty and I don’t see my grades as overly negative - I think they are quite realistic and reasonable.

Don’t get me started on retaining Matt Canada either. How do you grade that ::ahem:: *move*?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    UPGRADDE. With a double d for a double dose of pimping. Someone name that reference!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Idiocracy???

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I see CB as a short term upgrade to at worst equal with a chance to really bolster it in the draft. WR is about equal. Sure no upgrades but is Simms really a loss here. The real downgrade is S, which is something else that's probable going to be addressed in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like this team as we sit right now. i know, i know these practice squad guys every year mac thinks will help us. well i think a couple will this year. elijah riley at safety. tae crowder at ILB. quincy roche at OLB. anthony miller at WR. i think these guys have a shot at significant playing time. as does robinson our last year rookie on the inside.

i do think we have upgraded with our free agents if not only for the packages they will play in on defense. we have not yet even seen the upgrades from 4 top 100 draft picks. even the players after the top 100 could add good depth. this is a really deep draft this year. that doesn't happen too often but this is one of those years. i'm pretty excited about where this group can go. hopefully the staff is up to the job. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    We'll probably know when the season starts

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

nice breakdown, you brought analytics to my initial 'feelings'.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'd prefer to hold my thought till after the draft since Free Agency sets up the draft and they complement each other.
    But....

The LB's are an uptick, plain and simple. They really need a kingpin in the middle - the guy that makes it all work.
    CB, is an uptick but if they draft a good player that actually is a good player, there's a good grade. They would have depth and potential.
    OL, they beefed up the middle nicely. Thin at OT and really need a stud LT. They might get one at 17 but it is a roll of the dice. I would hope they don't trade up as I see all the picks being used.
    Also somewhere in that mix or in Free Agency, they do need to pick up a WR.

I can't say much about grades.
    Those won't come until a preseason game, or two takes place and I can see how the acquisitions contribute, if at all.

Edit
    Forgot to mention the losses.
    I hated losing Spillane and Sutton.
    Simms I liked as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Sounds about right
    Maybe Herbig gets a shot. He was a starter and is healthy and rarely gave up any sacks. I think I saw in another post that he gave up 1 sack in like 50+ some games.

Who knows? One lucky draft and the Steelers just might rejoin the NFL.

There are, understandably, some negative [concerned] fans. Possibly influenced by last years so called strong finish. at least 6 of those teams were out of it and probably playing for a draft position. Incidentally, they all will draft before PIT. ATL, CAR, LV, CLE, IND NO--

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Anything...They trot out there has to be / Boy I sure hope so... Better than Jack / Bush...

Hell, Spillane was our best ILB! I think these 2 will both, be a significant upgrade!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Idiocracy.

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    maybe.

or we can keep blaming the coaches!
    i'd agree - almost have to be better

but we got duped w Jack and Schobert back to back years.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - was the strong finish luck or improvement? We SUCKED in our crib vs. the Raiders (Christmas Eve night) and it took Kenny making an Immaculate Play to win. Then the Immaculate Pass to Harris vs the Ravens. Razors edge of a losing season, that is for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was convinced we’d upgraded when we signed Donte Moncrief, Morgan Burnett and Myles Jack.

Im probably not the best to answer the question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Since Steelers are signing lots of linemen .does that mean a wr pick or cb pick with first pick in draft

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i will throw up if we draft a WR w first pick. CB very real possibility.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    If Roberts starts, then we aren't really progressing in that area.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I can help you here I’ve been watching football a long time and understand it

The team steadily improved all season

Naturally this is the foundation of why we should all anticipate continued improvement next year

Toss in a good FA period and there is no logical reason not to be enthusiastic

See isn’t it nice to learn about football

• Winner Winner x 1