1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Games Will Ben Survive?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Sep 12, 2021.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If it is the one I am thinking of then it should have drawn a late hit penalty. Ben had clearly already started his slide before the defender initiated the hit. That is called 110% of the time with Brady (the extra 10% is for plays where he isn't actually hit late but they call it anyway).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Depends. Are you talking about 5 yards COMPLETED per attempt? If not, then it doesn't really matter how many yards per attempt there were. Incomplete is incomplete, no matter how many yards the attempt was.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Yards per attempt includes incomplete passes.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If you want to complain, complain about completion percentage. If he has 5 yards per attempt with 100% completion, that would be pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    *sigh* The point is that YPA factors in completion percentage. If a pass is incomplete that is 0 yards for that attempt. It is technically possible for someone to have 6 YPA because every pass is completed for 6 yards, and that would obviously be great because you'd never punt barring penalties. But in the real world that never happens. Someone averages 6 YPA in the real world because they can't move the ball downfield. They are missing on passes like everyone else. They just aren't hitting the big ones that actually result in points in today's NFL. Again, YPA is a basic stat that actually has predictive power. Averaging around 6 YPA is a great way to lose games. Go ahead and find me good QBs in today's NL who average such a miniscule number. There aren't any because you can't win consistently like that.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    *sigh* another statistician. Or maybe you just like to throw out TLAs. Brady averaged 7.6 last year. Worked out pretty well. Or is 7 yards your cutoff point? 7.1, 7.2....?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    7.6 would be a VAST improvement over the 6.3 YPA average Ben had last year and the 5.9 YPA he has so far this year. I'd be fine with that number. Right now I'd jump at 7 YPA. You can scoff at the stat as much as you like but it definitely has a big impact on whether the team wins or loses. You simply do not win consistently averaging 6 YPA. Go ahead and find me a good team that averaged that per pass (without delving into deep history). The current NFL is set up for teams to pass for chunk yardage. The inability to do so is a major problem with this team right now. If they want to win a playoff game it has to improve. No amount of burying your head in the sand is going to change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can say “What’s the big deal about a half a yd per attempt?”

Ben threw over 600 times last yr. an extra Half yd per att amounts to 300 extra yds of offense over the course of a season. Almost one full games worth of offensive yardage.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t get how people aren’t worried about this. Don’t want to be a Debbie downer because I think there is real potential for a good season IF, Ben shows last week wasn’t a continuation of last season.

You simply just make it too easy on defenses if you aren’t pushing the ball down field or worse, can’t.

Big game coming up for Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't get it either. It's not like I hate Ben or want him to fail. I am simply worried about what I saw in the first game because it looked a lot like what we saw last year and that was clearly not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1