1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long will the rebuild take?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Steelers base D isn't even a 3-4 anymore, they run Nickle and Dime most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What in the literal **** is with this thread? Trade for Mac Jones? Trey Lance? Either add the green text or lay off the drugs and booze lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We’re talking about a decision that doesn’t need to be made until after this season. They loved Lance enough to trade up for him based on tape vs. FCS opponents, their pre-draft assessment of his abilities, and whatever interactions they had with him. Come March, they will have had him in house for a full season and can make a much more informed assessment. If they have big question marks, they could decide to make a run for the sure thing in Rodgers and shoot for a ring next year.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger, Luck

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He lost the Playoff game. What a bum:)

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nickle, yes. Dime, no. We're running no Dime this year. How do I know? They traded for Schobert and he's on the field getting burned on passing downs. Is Highsmith a 4-3 lineman? No. He was drafted for the 3-4 system and shoehorned into being an edge rusher. So that gets back to my point. We draft players based on 3-4 system so that's our base D as far as I'm concerned. That's where our problem and a lot of confusion comes from imo. We need to just to make the switch to 4-3. Draft corners that are best in man not zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. 4-3 is a lot easier to draft for... and more effective against the better QBs. Been saying it for years.... Steelers should have started drafting for 4-3 after SBXLV loss. That ship sailed long ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So We should draft CB that aren't good in Zone with Lamar in our division. You do know there is a reason Lamar Has not been very successful against US right. It's called Zone.
    Look at His losses, and Wins...His biggest games are against Man, and What Running Qbs Wouldn't be? :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Tampa Bay did Well with it 3-4 last year against Mahomes my Friend :shrug:

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hey, let's not go crazy now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    yeah, but Tampa has a better D-line and Devin White shows up in the playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Like I said our defense only works against low IQ QBs and ones who can't consistently make throws. So we're going to keep this style of defense to beat Lamar and lose to Brady, Rodgers, Burrow, Wilson, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Exactly. Bush isn't what we thought he would be or worth all the draft capital. But running more dime and only having him as a "LB" in coverage couldn't be any worse than this piug and play strategy with LBs. Problem is we can't develop DBs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Herbert. That kid is going to be very good

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    IMHO, we don't need a franchise QB, not with this team. Once the o-line has some time to gel, we just need a QB who can manage a game. The defense we have IS elite, the problem is the offense isn't helping them by possessing the ball longer.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Draft 2 man to man CB'S as has been stated then take a late round WR with mad speed and bad hands and convert him to deep Single High Safety ..We have the guys upfront this would allow another Defender in the box and force Teams to try and go deep..Basically the same thing Teams are doing to us at this point a good running game and timely passing and we have a chance to win esp. in the post season when the bad weather comes..

Go with Dobbs and build the D for a year or 2 if that not work then go get the QB.. A mobile QB will help the running game and allow the OL to learn how to play together.. So if I Coach I would go this way as we already have a RB a TE and a deep threat so mobile QB timely throws and press man defense throw that zone and zone blitz crap in the trash..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not elite yet we need man to man CB'S and a speedy FS ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. There are still too many holes in the secondary. If a line can stop the pass rush we get carved up. Also can’t stop the run

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The defense is elite as long as all the starters are there and healthy. Without Alualu at NT.... this defense is nowhere near elite.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Why not just pick up a speedy WR who is an overdrafted, 1st round bust who didn’t work out for his first two teams? I’m surprised you haven’t come up with this strategy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    History isn’t on our side if we don’t have a franchise QB. Since 2000, only the 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs and 2017 Eagles won w/o a franchise player or stud for QB

23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Not even a day after I posted my Aaron Rodgers idea. Stephen A Smith went on a rant that pissed off Molly on ESPN......

Then, the follow up after that was Colin Cowherd on FOX....

The Steelers have two choices after this season. You go full throttle and get Aaron Rodgers. Or you risk being the Jets or Giants trying to find the next guy. The Steelers already did this in their history once, it took them 21 years to find their next franchise QB.

Took them 26 seasons to win their next Super Bowl. They are already 13 seasons since their last one WITH their franchise QB.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    def agree. I told my cousin when he went down that he’s a much bigger loss than people realize

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Who’s the coach?