1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long for Chase to crack the rotation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 1, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Receivers do that a lot, probably out of habit.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, he’ll be involved for the start, they’ll have packages for him but I meant when he starts getting significant snaps. Someone will need to lose snaps or maybe they just take some from others here and there.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Terrible throw...

5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Chase will beast out this season

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take Ben's terrible throws over that :poopy: show we saw last season with Mason/Duck any day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben has said publicly that he sometimes throws bad balls in practice on purpose to see how the WR reacts to a ball that's not right in the numbers. Gives him an idea of how much of a catch radius a guy really has. That's not to say that's what that pass was... but if you see a guy jump up spin around and fight to the ball and win... gives you more faith that if you air it out he will go get it

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Ah yes. The 75 yd bomb that doesnt connect. Big Ben's favorite way to start any football game. It's like his proverbial cup of coffee.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    agreed. We could very well have the deepest WR room in the league if he pans out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Quantity or quality? Big difference?

11. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    WR is one of the toughest offensive positions to grasp as a first year player and the absence of rookie and mini camps and preseason games will likely hinder his learning curve as he adapts to life in the NFL. His first game action will be suiting up on the road for MNF In a game that counts. I agree with other posters, I think sub packages in the red zone is the way to go initially.

I also agree Washington and Ben were not in sync 2 seasons ago, although JW was a rookie and buried behind AB and JuJu who both had really good seasons. I think JW took a big step forward last year, albeit without Ben. I really hope they find their groove, and JW doesn’t become another Markus Wheaton...a received that never quite clicked with Ben as many other receivers have.

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

We are stacked at the “Receiver” (“Pass Catchers”) position IMO. Pick your poison. Each of our four starting WRs are exceptional in their own way. Each has a unique skill-set. Line up all four and watch out. Really, what are defense coordinators going to do? Now add in Vance, Ebron and a solid pass-catching RB in Samuels. You take those seven players (“Pass Catchers”) and go have fun Mr. Fichtner. Mix and match any way you see fit Randy. Just don’t fudge this up. There is soooooooooo much talent there between these seven players.

In mathematical configurations, there are 5040 ways to arrange seven people. Again, go figure it out Randy!

Remember all the yap of how we could score 30 points a game. We could have. We should have. With those weapons: Bell, Brown, Heath, Bryant. How did we not? Underachieved IMO. Well, here we are again. Overall, we are better than that crew. Not player vs. player for some instances, at least when it comes to Bell and Brown. Nonetheless, as a collective whole, yes, this current crew is better than that group.

Again, we should be able to put up 30+ points a game. Of course, the O-Line has to “re-discover” themselves. I think they will. Needless, to say, I am excited. Of course, the biggest factor in all of this is Ben. We saw what life was like without him last year. In all likelihood it would be a repeat movie without him. With him, I stand by the notion that this is a Super Bowl team. Very capable of bringing home #7.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SC Gamecock.

I agree with your quote: "We could very well have the deepest WR room in the league". Now throw in Vance, Ebron and Samuels, who is a very effective pass-catching RB. That is seven quality "pass-catchers" IMO. See my more-detailed post here if you get a chance.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I could see this guy getting 8-10 TDs this season.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2020-8-31_12-36-30.jpeg

Chase doesn’t skip leg day.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    10 is about right. He’s going to have a JuJu type first season.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    or as Ben calls it 3rd and short.:cool:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can’t wait to see this kid light up the NFL. Here’s some more praise for him:

Steelers wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard: If Chase does what we expect him to do, and that’s make plays early and often, Chase is going to play a lot and he’s going to be really good. … I learned that about Terry McLaurin. The world expected him to be a special teams player, and he ended up being our No. 1 last year.” (Hilliard was the wide receivers coach for Washington last season.)

Ben Roethlisberger on Claypool in a recent media session: “He’s just making plays. I think the plays that he’s making are impressive, but I think, to me, what’s more impressive is that he doesn’t ask a lot of questions, which means he knows his stuff. I can change a play with a hand signal or call a different play at the line of scrimmage, and he — I always check him like, ‘Are you good?' — he’s like ‘I got it.'”

Joe Haden on Claypool via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review: “He’s had a couple plays against me this camp. I’ve lined up against him often. He’s a big, fast receiver who’s able to adjust to the ball in the air. He hasn’t shown me anything too bad. … As long as he keeps healthy, I think he’s going to be a problem.”

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly: “Some reporters are getting criticized for constantly writing good things about Claypool. … Claypool just keeps showing up, so I’m going to keep writing about him. I thought for sure he’d be hampered by not having an offseason. So far, I’ve been wrong.”

From Gerry Dulac:

“Do not wonder if the Steelers will find ways to get Claypool involved in the offense, even though he is a rookie who had no OTAs, minicamp or preseason games. They will. Quickly.“

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like our team, with proper coaching and utilization of players both offense and defense
    this could be a playoff year. Of course barring injuries/ covid-19 could hamper this team considerably.
    Have to stay healthy and players used in right positions. Get back to running the ball, this will open
    up play action to perfection. Canada has this knowledge if they use it.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    From what I have been reading about the young man, I’m starting to rethink my original position.

21. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I think realistic expectations are somewhere between 10 and 20 catches for the season, mostly during garbage time.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ugh... too late to change my predictions!! I topped him out at 8. He might just crack double digits. I would not be shocked if he gets 13 scores.

Chase just seems that special to me. Not many people have his skillset, talent and work ethic. For that matter, who knows?! Possible year one Pro Bowler?!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Is it sad that I completely forgot about this guy? I mean he only was the first pick. Although 2nd round.

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I have alot of faith in his skill and ability.

I just worry how this off-season will affect a rookie WR. Add that to the depth infront if him.

I think his catches and receiving yards will be well below what many people are hoping for. I think his TDs will be there though somewhere around 7 perhaps.

Just so many mouths to feed and he is starting out at the bottom.

He's not going to pass JuJu or DJ on the depth chart this year. So he will battle with JW for #3 but #3 or #4, does it really matter? I'm reading to expect lots of 2 TE sets this year.

I'm going to keep my expectations low for Claypool this year knowing next year he will probably jump to #2 on the depth chart as I expect JuJu to leave via FA.

Rest assured, any injuries from those top 2 and Claypool will jump at the chance to produce big.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think when the talent is there, the coaches will see to it they are involved. JuJu was low man on the totem pole and look at his first season. I see those seasons more and more by rookie receivers now, maybe not quite that good but 700 yards good. Even DJ did that and without Ben.

Plus his size and speed, Ben will love him. I think his floor is DJ’s rookie season and ceiling is JuJu’s.

• Like Like x 1