1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How is your summary of the season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DIzzyG3015, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    7 games was set based on the talent on the roster.

If your players aren’t as good as the other teams players it is what it is. It doesn’t mean you’re underachieving, you just aren’t as good.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I get it. All I'm saying is that if expectations were exceeded, then the bar was set low. It doesn't equate to good performance simply because such a low bar was set.

Imagine a business losing $100M in a year and saying, yay we exceeded expectations. Would you want to invest in it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    The team rolled with Kenny through another season of his rookie-contract progression. That was accomplished.
    We knew that the defense was a work in progress, but with the past draft and some acquisitions we proved we are on the right road. The defense won us many games, basically it carried the team throughout the season.

Overall, the whole season was about Kenny, and that was accomplished, and I would call it a success, We have answers on Kenny.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mixed bag. That they won 10 games and made the playoffs is impressive but the season was still littered with bad decisions, bad game plans and Tomlins overall stubbornness.

On a side note, trashing TJ for not being available is ridiculous to put it nicely. Guy was taken out by friendly fire, gmafb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Love all the “same old” responses.

Firing an OC mid-season
    Winning with a third string QB
    Kickstarting the run game with a genuine double threat
    Injuries at DB and ILB meaning at one point we’d signed Blake Martinez (!)

Im not sure I’ve seen this every season…

That’s not to ignore the glaring issues on the team at all. But to say this season was the same as every year is a bit odd

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I see what you are saying now. Yes, I agree, the bar was low due to the makeup of the team going into the season. They did overachieve a bit but they were not expected to be good anyways so their overachieving was still not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I can summarize the season up in one word: Nothing. The offensive frustrations, that's a show. The defensive inconsistencies, that's a show. Injuries, that's a show. Beating some good teams, that's a show. Losing to some bad teams, that's a show. Being down big early in a playoff game, that's a show. Tomlin's press conferences, that's a show. The season was about nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I feel like it was mostly a waste of time. Mainly because we are at best no closer to answering who is our next QB, and more than likely farther away from that answer. But also wasted another year of Watt's career.

If we'd have had the same record or even a little worse record while seeing Kenny grow into a possible franchise qb, I'd feel a lot better than I do now.

The only plus I see is that our first 2 draft picks looked pretty good. So, for me our season peaked in March and went downhill from there.

9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Many companies lose money for years on the way to success. Amazon lost about $720 million in 1999. I wish I'd invested in that. So the real question is are you losing in a productive way, or are you just burning revenue.

Tomlin is the perfect example of a CEO with no vision who will use all your resources to go nowhere, but showing a small profit year after year. Meanwhile, he'll watch the Amazon's of the NFL hold the Lombardi.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Truly an enigma. If you asked most Steelers fans if they'd take a 10-win season and making the playoffs before the season started, they would have gladly taken it. But it's how we went through the season with an offense that was hardly offensive at all. The two losses to two teams eight games under .500 AT HOME was totally inexcusable. That kept the Steelers from hosting a playoff game so Rooney misses out on that playoff revenue. Good.

We certainly didn't face a murderer's row of future hall-of-fame quarterbacks the last part of the season, then again looking at our QB situation, it's not like we brought a gun to a knife fight. So Tomlin didn't lose the team which is a good sign, but there's way too much ME and not enough WE from some of our players and their effort for the team is bad. That doesn't help team chemistry whatsoever. The tackling was terrible in the playoff game.

I think we are in need of two new coordinators and see if that helps Pickett, but Tomlin has to make some severe changes or it's Groundhog Day next year too.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    As far as I'm concerned, we had a losing season.....
    And it will be a losing season until we raise another Lombardi

12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The over under for wins was 8.5 where do you keep getting this 7 nonsense?

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good:
    - The rookie class really started to play well. Porter is by far the highlight of the bunch, Jones was a mixed bag but brought some energy, Benton solid, Washington and Herbig contributed.
    - Made the playoffs at the end of the year when we needed to win 3 straight. Gotta like that.
    - Won a lot of close games. Props to the defense for playing well enough to get it done and making some key turnovers
    - Run game came on strong at the end of the season
    - Mason Rudolph saving the day with quality QB play

Bad:
    - Pickett was a MAJOR disappointment. Only a few months ago we were talking about that big Sophomore leap we were going to see, now we are talking about his job being in jeopardy. Not good.
    - Mason Cole. Nuff said
    - Injuries. Had some bad injuries to the ILB position, our QB, Watt at the end for the playoff game... none of it is good.
    - Another 3 game losing streak. Death, Taxes, and a Steelers 3 game L streak. Woohoo
    - Trubisky waving his back up job goodbye super quickly. Woof.

UGLY:
    - Canada fired mid-season after yet another demoralizing offensive performance
    - back to back losses to 2 win teams late in the season. Caught the unfortunate DOUBLE Tomlin special
    - Another playoff disappointment in fashion we know all too well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Rollercoaster that pulled into the same station. Groundhog Station.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    At the end of camp it was 7.5, I put $500 on the over.

After pre-seasaon the line moved to 8.5.

Before training camp it was 6.5.

Regardless, they won 10...so they overachieved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean if you want to call not winning a playoff game for the 7th year in a row overachieving that’s fine. Fraud Rooney clearly would agree with you.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They overachieved.

They underachieved.

Their bench was exposed with injuries.

Their bench produced.

Defense was decimated in the middle.

Offense was decimated by scheme.

JPJ was good, PP was not.

CAIII disappeared when DJ returned.

Trubisky is terrible. So is Cole.

Boz and Killebrew are great, Harvin sucks.

In spite of all that, they improved from last year. Make some more improvements and they are headed in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm guessing it will be very similar to the 80's for awhile. Up and down but no SB. Just have to hope to get lucky and get a top tier NFL QB cause we sure the hell don't have one now.

I'm on the side Pickett was a wasted pick. I know some posters think different. This argument will be decided in 12 short months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    screwed by the refs again. several times. we were great in the pre season. what fun that was. oh yea and then they started to count. whaa, whaa, whaa. hard to watch most of the time. had us thinking good thoughts and let us down mostly. the standard from mt lives on. now he can have no losing seasons and be the longest tenured coach in the league. waiting for that hell to be unleashed still. :cool:

20. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    People are saying we need a complete rebuild. But what does that look like outside the coach? I'm sure that means a rookie QB instantly. You need to suck so you can get top picks.

We are youthful on the offensive side with tons of potential. The D is where the age is, but that is mostly in a few players.

So how do we start sucking and winning only 2 games a season? fire-sale? Dump your talent for top picks? Coach the players to not want to succeed?

Seems the team has been trying to rebuild, but in doing so they've somehow stayed competitive. Head coach fault?

The team isn't far off. No matter what doomsday statements people preach on the boards. They need to pick a QB and stick with him. Show confidence so there is stability.

I'm excited for them next year. Nice to be healthy again and give it another shot.

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - which is why I laugh when people say our roster sucks, or below average.

we lack a Top QB. but we have a lot of other talent. Needs - yes. But there is talent on this roster.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, I think CAR and NE are great in the Pre-Season. Don't EVER EVER again look at pre-season as some predictor of regular. this should be a major takeaway for everyone.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they are clueless.

24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Projected by you?

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Disappointed. I picked them to go 11-6 and 2nd place in AFC North. Thought Pickett would improve. Thought defense would be better.