1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How hard is it to hike a ball??!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We've had a bunch of plays that were messed up by poor snaps from center, both Pouncey and Finney. You'd think by this time in their career such things would be second nature. High snaps, low snaps, snaps on the ground, are drive killers, and especially with inexperienced QBs, you'd think they would take extra care to make sure that part of the play works.

One of the many things to address in the off-season.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If they wouldn't line up in the shotgun every friggin play....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They should bring in Canaday for that...lol Designated shotgun snapper

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    New center. New guard. Pro bowler my butt. Maybe 5 years ago.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pouncey is done. He doesn't have it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Its not hard at all I could snap a tight spiral 10 yds no problem right on target. Of course that was 47 yrs ago in grade 7 and the kid opposite me was maybe 125 lbs.

I really hope Pouncey reveals some nagging season long injury, if that's not the case then he is done.
    Inconsistent snaps all year and he gets manhandled against some of the bigger tackles.
    It seems the OL all got old or just plain bad at the same time. AV has struggled all year Foster looks to be slower than usual and Pouncey has had a terrible year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It's hard to believe that Munch leaving could have such a dramatic effect on this unit. But I just can't see age as an issue when they were playing well at the end of last season. That was only 7-8 months.

And if Pouncey's snapping is because of an undisclosed injury, then why did Finney have an issue?

And there is 0% excuse for problems due to more shotgun snaps. That's absurd. These guys have been snapping shotgun formation for years. They should be able to snap shotgun an entire game without hooking/slicing/airmailing/bowling it to the qb.

Boggles my mind.

This season was lost when Ben went down, granted. But it had no shot at reaching its potential before the clock started moving against the Pats. The OL wasn't good enough for anyone to make our O look good, including Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Old and out of shape. Even finney has a big gut on him that I don't remember from the past. This was not a good year for munch to leave with young qbs. we got blitzed more then with Ben but now the age of Ben and the line will become more evident. Foster and pouncey are way past their prime. It's been coming but less evident with munch and Ben here last year. Next year will be even worse. This has to be job one in free agency and the draft.

Ben going down just made the problem more evident. It was there before and slowly emerging. This year hastened the view. The Steelers hold on to the good players from the past and we are in the midst of that again but now without the coaching to help.

It starts up front and both sides of the ball are in need of a makeover. I don't think our receivers, backs, qbs, lb, dbs, are that had if we revamp our fronts with youth and talent. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  10. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Bad snaps caused the Steelers to lose the last two games. Mind boggling. Munch gone and they can't get this right. Coaching REALLY does make a difference. Attention to details is very inconsistent with the Steelers. These are self-inflicted daggers and that's the most frustrating aspect to loosing from this fan's perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, like when they bring in vannett ... when its gonna be a run ...lol

12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Actually I think lack of attention to detail is a consistent issue with the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There were some bad snaps, but also saw Duck moving back away from snap and drop it when it was just slightly off to the side and a little low. That one was on Duck.

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I rolled a few snaps back and shot a few over heads of QB's in high school. It happens.
    I played guard my freshman year and then moved to center and played and started for 3 years.

It's not always as easy as it seems, center is a hard position you have to be a leader on the line, snap the ball, and block a guy.

I took a 5 gallon bucket out to practice and purposely dunked used footballs, and would practice for 10 minutes before practice would start.

The head coach came up to me and asked what the heck I was doing, one day . I said I needed to practice snapping wet balls. He said why?

I said because it rains every Friday we have a game and I want to be prepared.

He said that's why your a center and not a guard. Because you think further ahead.

So it's a hard job, but you hear it from fans. coaches, and your teammates, if you roll snaps or mess up the snap.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Foster has to be over 400 pounds...Should have never extended him, Basically lost a good Guard prospect because of him...I know todays NFL you have to be 300 pounds, But to be 400, and look and play like a big fat slob is embarrassing, Dude can hardly move...And Pouncey really does suck...Seen so many plays where he gets manhandled but, Nothing to see here...All the talking heads still talk about the Steelers OL as if it were elite

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It was so bad yesterday I actually even so David Decastro get blown up and that hardly ever happens.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I also watch the OL closely...The guy I personally think looks the best is Zack Banner... I'm serious

18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe for us laypersons its very difficult, but those professionals we have on the field and the "pro bowler" should be easy. I think it's time to find another center not name Pouncey. Maybe he can extend his career and play guard, but if you can't get the fundamental snap correct at the position where that's your job, then, it's time to move on. That's like a kicker that can't kick, a WR that can't catch or a qb that can't throw.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Spot on, attention to detail has always been a big problem
    for me with Mike Tomlin coached teams. Now I understand that the
    players have to take the majority of the responsibility but if it takes
    getting on the players to be more attentive than you have to do it. I am in a
    Supervisory role where I work and I don't like to treat grown men like 4th graders.
    It is hard, this is probably why I struggle. I am too nice, not a prick.