1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How good do you think we'd be if........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Dec 16, 2019.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Life and sports is full of' "what if's". How good do you think this Steeler team would have been this year if we had a back-up QB that some other teams have? Let's say Bridgewater or Bortles (remember him) took over for Ben. I believe with the defense we have this year we would be a serious threat in the playoffs.

All said and done I'm proud of what the Steelers accomplished this season with all they had to deal with and it's not over yet. Could still be a playoff team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just depends, so many variables. Could be even worse but likely 1 or 2 games better.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bridgewater looked good because he's on a good team. Kamura, Michael Thomas, are legit great players. Plus Saints have a good line

I don't think either would have them at any better record than where they are at.

It's not just the QB play, it's the play of the skill spots of WR and RB, and the line play hasn't been good either.

The offensive of problems are more than Hodges or Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Agreed. Ben looked good his rookie year because he had Ward and Burress. Bettis and a stellar defense. Plus and offensive line that was road graders.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Exactly and he had better numbers be he was surronded with legit HOF players.

6. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    With the play calling it doesn't matter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

I can think of three losses alone that Mason started and the blame squarely did not fall on him. He played above the line in each. Yeah, I will point the finger. It was blunders by Moncrief, Conner and JuJu that cost us. Actually, we should be in first place if not for those mistakes by those players. Oh well, as it has been stated many times: a play here, a play there. You know the story.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones!

*fire suit on*

Seriously... QB was one of many problems on offense in losses to Browns and Bills.

Steelers were going 0-3 with or without Roethlisberger. Our record would be the same with Landry Jones, IMO. 8-6.... we're probably 8-6 with Ben, too. It really is a wash.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  9. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    One of the reasons for the defensive improvement was when Miami traded Fitzpatrick.
    They had plenty of offers.
    Miami anticipated the Steelers record would be bad, and the 1st round pick high.

If the Steelers had a backup that people thought would be very good, I don't see Miami trading Fitzpatrick, and the defense doesn't fire on all cylinders like they are now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Very good point. The Dolphins thought that they would get a top ten pick at the very least.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Personally, I do not believe we would be much better assuming we had a veteran option. The issues are not all on Mason and Devlin. As some stated after the Minkah trade, Randy will be the biggest X Factor.

How far we go will depend on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers fans, in general, tend to be brutal towards the OC. Bubble screens with Haley... Wildcat with Finctner.... No Fullback with Arians... rinse and repeat.

Whisenhunt escaped the hate because of Ben's success. Erhardt and Mularkey escaped the hate because of O'Donnell's and Stewart's failures.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You know I never gave that much thought but it's a good point. Ben goes down and Dolphins had to be thinking 5-11 or 6-10 at best.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do agree the overall statement. The OC in Pittsburgh is often the poster child of criticism; less deservedly so than others. The issue with Randy though is that, even when he had high end talent, the overall balance of the offense was non-existent even though that 2018 team produce points at a very high rate.

Now, without that talent, even now, the overall balance of the offense has not just been as inconsistent as last year but potentially worse. Add the inexperience of the offense and microcosm of issues mount very quickly. That said, a good OC works with what he has; circumstances being irrelevant.

Example?! Benny Snell, James Conner, Kerrith Whyte Jr and Trey Edmunds were all dressed. Why were they not used?! Differential or not, establishing the running game has to be paramount.

I understand the Bills are stacking 8 or more in the box. I understand that Buffalo has one of the most balanced defenses in the NFL. However, none of that should be a factor should the OC become creative with the playcalling. No misdirection?! No stretch runs?! Not even guard pulling plays?!

Unreal!!! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1