1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How does Mike Tomlin compare to other NFL head coaches? There's no doubt the standard has fallen.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Mar 31, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What part of slow starts and turnovers don't you understand :facepalm:? You want to brag about those 400 yards and 5 TDs, what about those two early turnovers :shrug:?

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL
    OK.....if You don’t get it by now You never will.
    Neither turnover was a scoop ,and score, or a pick 6. Again....
    If Your Qb throws 5tds, and the other Qb throws 1td.....
    Hell He could have thrown 3 pick 6s and still been ahead of the opponents Qb if the D did something that day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Only guy who hasn't is mahomes unless you count that sb against tb as a bad game but tbh he didn't play bad. He didn't get help. He made miraculous throws that all were dropped.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You do have your heroes

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The play you forgot about happens at the 5:40 mark. Not that the scoop and score part is Roethlisberger's fault, but he did have a fumble returned for a touchdown in that game against the Jaguars. He also threw an interception that was picked off at the Pittsburgh 19. Even with those, he was still better than Bortles that day.

Seriously, those criticizing Roethlisberger's play that day should watch this to see some of the throws he made. The touchdowns to Bryant and Bell to get them back in the game were just perfect.

I forgot how bad some of the play-calling was in that game. Twice they blew it on fourth and a yard or less, the first a pitch to the outside that was blown up and the second a play-action pass that fell incomplete. (I also forgot the blatant hold the Jags got away with on the latter.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Stb must be yours the way you just tried to defend all the responses I gave him.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure you will blame the defense for losing to the Browns in the playoffs, when Ben threw 4 ints :facepalm:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben isn't the reason they lost, but the slow starts and turnovers doesn't give the defense any rest, the run defense was bad they couldn't stop Fournette.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I see You moved the goal post. I already said in above comment....Some of the playoffs loses are on Ben.:shrug:
    The Playoff lose against the Jags, and Bortles was not one of them.
    Some have been on The Coaches, and some have been on the Defense. I don't group them all together, and neither should anyone else.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Losing Shazier set the franchise back 5 years. Steelers are still paying the fiddler for bad luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It also cost them a real shot at the Super Bowl that season. Maybe they still lose to the Jaguars. They lost to them with Shazier during the regular season. That said, the Jaguars attacked where he would have been all game long and had great success doing so. Also, there is a very real possibility that he would have made a big play to help turn the game. With Shazier, that team had a shot against the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Adding to this and not in the box score but on at least 3 3rd and longs the quarterback under pressure rolled out and ran for the first down. Watt did not keep containment he did not force the QB to the sidelines. Watt was spent by that game I believe it was his rookie year. Each of these plays gave the bad guys a fresh set of downs rather than us that’s the equivalent of at least 3 turnovers. We could have used JH that game.

Where is SNOT when I need him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Anybody that knows football realizes it matters if you get off to a slow start, especially against a team like Jacksonville, if the Steelers jumped on the Jaguars early that takes Fournette running the ball down their throats out of the game :shrug:.

14. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Sounds like you’ve got some dried up baby Ben left around your mouth. The ad hominem game is corny. Let that go, you’re not going to win that.

This is where I’ve got remind you that football is a team game. Just compare playoff td/int ratio of those guys in comparison to Ben. Rodgers has a career 45/13 ratio while Ben is just 36/28. You Rodgers had played for the Steelers, you think he would’ve had more than 1 appearance? I say that those numbers would look even better playing on the teams that Ben played on. Same with those other QBs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I promise You wouldn't say that for long to My face.:thumbs_up:
    Do You Always insult when Your brain realizes You are wrong????
    Sorry I don't play make believe. You may.:shrug:
    Rodgers never played for the Steelers. Rodgers doesn't throw ints because He is more worried about stats then winning.....that's Why. Some of His own teammates have said stuff along these lines. That's why He has only been to one SB.
    Thank You.....try again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    I’d say it to your mother’s face while giving you a noogie.

You started the insults and I’ve hardly been proven wrong. It’s not about playing make believe it’s about using using common football sense.

If Ben had been more worried about his completion and interception stats, maybe the team wouldn’t have had as many disappointing playoff losses.

Your “ex teammates had said something bad about Rodgers” point is also laughable as if the same isn’t true for Ben. I remember specifically guys like Emmanuel Sanders and Leveon criticizing Ben once they left. I also remember Ben being voted one of the guys other players least wanted to play with in the league.

I shoot and score.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah go on believing that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  20. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Antwan Randle El threw the flea flicker touchdown to Ward, not Ben.

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not the touchdown. The TD was a lateral then a toss right?

Maybe you’re correct. Ben if I remember had a flea flicker that went deep to like the four yard line when Ward was tackled after the catch. I think it was a couple plays later Ben barely ran it in to the TD that some see as controversial that he crossed the line.

It was a long time ago, so the deets are foggy.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t recall it being a flea flicker. I recall it being vintage Ben extending a play by running around and finding someone (Hines) downfield after the called play broke down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    All you have to do to compare is the passing statistics of Terry Bradshaw in four Super Bowls compared to Ben's three and that tells you who was the better quarterback, and especially, the better big-game quarterback. Bradshaw played better in the post-season than he did in the regular season. Comparing regular season to post-season, only QB increased more in those big games than Bradshaw and that was Bart Starr. Check out how two-turnover Marino compared in the post-season.

Marino choked in big games: stats don't lie:
    '83 playoff team vs Seattle 2 Ints 77.6 QBR
    '84 SB vs SF 2 ints 66.9 QBR
    '85 vs NE at home 2 ints 54.9 QBR
    '90 vs Buffalo 2 ints 72.1 QBR
    '92 vs Buffalo at home 2 ints 56.5 QBR

The only playoff loss he played well
    '94 vs SD 0 ints 109.8 QBR

1995 vs Buffalo 3 ints 63.4 QBR
    1997 vs NE 2 ints 29.3 QBR!
    1998 vs Denv 2 ints 65.5 QBR
    1999 vs Jax 2 ints 34.6 QBR!

Two-interception Marino was a big game choking turnover machine!

Five times in his career Marino had a top 10 defense in points allowed. Three times he had a top five defense. Twice he had a defense that led the league in fewest points allowed. How'd that work out for two-turnover Danny?

Marino played for not just one but TWO hall of fame coaches that BOTH WON TWO SUPER BOWLS without Dan Marino. They knew how to win Super Bowls. Marino choked in big games.

He even choked at Pitt when he had what Bobby Bowden called the greatest college football team he ever saw. So it wasn't he had no defense, he had no running backs, he had no OL. He had it all at times and still choked.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/new...er-no-3-pitt-one-of-biggest-in-school-history

Marino never won a title even in high school where quarterbacks dominate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observ...ebf3587e-0683-11eb-93c5-bfd5b6738e08.amp.html

Attached Files:

24. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    Scoring

Quarter Time Tm Detail SEA PIT
    0:22 Seahawks Josh Brown 47 yard field goal 3 0
    2 1:55 Steelers Ben Roethlisberger 1 yard rush (Jeff Reed kick) 3 7
    3 14:38 Steelers Willie Parker 75 yard rush (Jeff Reed kick) 3 14
    6:45 Seahawks Jerramy Stevens 16 yard pass from Matt Hasselbeck (Josh Brown kick) 10 14
    4 8:56 Steelers Hines Ward 43 yard pass from Antwaan Randle El (Jeff Reed kick) 10 21

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200602050pit.htm

25. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    Dave Krieg and Ken Anderson are NOT in the Hall of Fame.