1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you like your crow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 21, 2014.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Coach Tomlin has not had a losing season of date. His predecessors have. Have I taken issue with some lackluster performances? Yes. But never Fire Tomlin. That's not the way the Rooney's do business.

Mike Munchak: I hope stays around for another season. Has taken this line to the next level.

Todd Haley: I believe that finally he and Ben have clicked. Having Bell doesn't hurt either. Hope he stays.

Dick LeBeau: Yesterday had shades of the real Steelers Defense. Pass rush where have you been all season? And some solid CB play. I will echo what Elvis said. I have been calling for a change, a fresh approach after the season. Hopefully LeBeau stays aggressive going forward and makes me eat crow...

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Most fans are guilty at some point. I remember thinking in the early 2000s that Cowher's regime had run its course. It's just part of being a fan.

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Well, I am one of those most guilty, having gone so far as to start a thread suggesting Tomlin would be gone at season's end. (I think this was following the Cleveland loss.) But some other things to consider...

1. We are still not out of the woods as a team/franchise. The defense isn't there, yet. So I agree with Steel Elvis on this. The drafts have not been good.

2. I have always maintained, despite my criticisms, that Tomlin seemed to be learning on the job, and that it was possible he was going to be a much better HC two or three years from now. In this respect, he reminded me of Pete Carroll, who was not a good HC with the Patriots, but now has returned more seasoned and could win back-to-back SBs.

As for Haley, I have always supported him. It took some time, but Ben is a better QB under him than he was with Arians. And unlike with Arians, it seems there is a strategic approach to the game plan. There are early play calls that actually set up plays later in the game.

4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Agreed, which is why I don't know why there has to be an eat crow thread, after a Tebow loss and 2.5 mediocre seasons. Kinda like when some rub it in when the Steelers beat a team like the Ravens, etc. To each his own I guess, just not my way of going about thigs.

5. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will say that I was one of the ones saying there was some sort of disconnect in the locker room and there were issues. I thought that was coming from the coaching staff and the players. Maybe it was a problem internally with the players. Yesterday it was very noticeable that Tomlin was showing a lot more emotion than he normally does. Personally I liked seeing him running up and down the sideline like a mad man... That does not mean when he is calm he is a bad coach. But I think he has found a way to connect with this team and yesterday was a hard fought victory against a good team.

Personally if these results continue I am all for having all the coaches back next year. And I was pretty hard on most of them due to the inexcusable losses to the lower level teams. Big game this weekend and could get as high as the 3 seed I think!!!

6. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I still stand by Tomlin having deficiencies that i have a hard time seeing from the Steelers sidelines. I don't want a good coach, I want a great one!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This

Yes he would have, his seat woudn't have gotten hot unless they had another 8-8 season or worse. Cowher missed the playoffs 3 straight years and had losing records in the process.

And who hired him? I'm sure there were a lot of teams that would have liked to have Munchak as their line coach but Tomlin is the one who lured him here.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :goodpost:

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

But I called his hiring a full 3 weeks before anybody on this board OR in the media called it! I guess I'm the "prophet at large" of the Haley fan club. :-/

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. I think starting a thread to make other fans eat crow is a bit classless - even if it's done politely.

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

EXACTLY how I feel. This is ridiculous. Isn't that the purpose of a message board? Are we all supposed to sit here and do nothing but praise the team week in and week out. There is no one happier that we are going to the playoffs than me, but its undeniable to say that we played some really bad football this year. I am not eating any crow. I am a fan and have been for almost 40 years and I want them to play well- and when they consistently don't, I am not going to be happy about.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It's just a way for those fans to vent a little, after enduring all the threads of we suck, this is their chance to stick it to them a little. There are those who voice their opinions objectively and intelligently about the teams shortcomings and then there are those whose posts fall way short of that, I think it's directed at the later.

I personally wouldn't bother with these posts, I alway knew Tomlin was a good coach and knew 100% that he'd get this team headed in the right direction again, the fact that they are going to the playoffs with a chance to win the division is good enough for me.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And they were right. Our scoring offense under BA was horrendous. It is greatly improved.

14. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He should still be fired. If we can win these playoff type games then why can't we beat lowly teams to avoid these games.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Amen. :applaud:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, they weren't right, we won a SB with him. He had flaws as do all coaches but to try and take away the fact he won a SB as our OC is weak sauce.

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The Steelers don't win that game without Harrison's interception and Ben's drive two-minute drill. As much as I've come to respect Arians as a coach, he had very little to do with winning that game. Let's be honest.

Ironically, I think he called a better game in the loss against the Packers. The turnovers weren't his fault.

18. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    The Shield has realized its dream of Any Given Sunday.

Relevant: The Circle of Parity http://i.imgur.com/GRC6lT1.png

Lots of head-scratchers from lots of good teams, including-wait for it- The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (Cue angelic chorus) !!!

I'll hang up, Guy, and wait for your comment.

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'm with you, Jack. I actually called into 93.7 the Fan here in Pittsburgh the day BA was "retired" and suggested Haley as a candidate and Joe Starkey laughed at me and said it would never happen.

I also agree with 12to88 above that plays in the first quarter actually seem to set up plays in the second half under Haley.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that's bunk, doing that, to me that's "shoot, he won the SB, let me see how can I diminish that". I don't play that game, he's the OC and they won. That offense had no problem moving the ball between the 20's, much like now, it was punching it into the endzone that was the problem. My one beef with BA was I felt his situational play calling was lacking.

And I don't know how you say he had very little to do with that game, they don't win it without that last drive, whoever said Ben's was calling those plays? BA didn't allow Ben to call plays, even in no huddle like Haley does, IIRC. Plus he is the one who draws the plays up, and he was very good at that.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we made the playoffs, that's it, and by no means the final goal. if you are happy with just that, you are in the wrong place. that is MT's job and why he is paid millions. we have won nothing yet, besides an opportunity to continue. lets not anoint anyone coach of the year yet, or team of the year. lets just be glad it's not the last two years repeated. oh and Merry Christmas to us fans. :smiley1::cool:

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    that is not what it is about. I am not talking about past seasons. I know that factored in to a lot of peoples opinion but several weeks ago people were saying tomlin will not make it the season. this team would not win another game. these people were serious. I am not talking about the day of or even day after a lose.
    I am talking about the people who no matter how the players played it was tomlins fault. I started this so these people could man up and say they were wrong. because they were.lol

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'll eat crow when the time comes in or after the playoffs. I don't think losses to NYJ, NO and wins against Tenn, Atl, mean a whole lot.... we won't be measuring up against any of those teams in the playoffs. I'd think it'd be hard for anyone who watches our games to say "Man this team is STRONG and setup for a Super Bowl run". Our losses are embarrassing and our wins have hardly been convincing with a few exceptions. I love extending into the playoffs..... but this season can't be judged until it is completely over. No way I could let the coaching staff off if we end with some embarrassing loss in the playoffs.... NO WAY. Win and be competitive, then we'll talk.

Matter of fact, the only current playoff team that we faced was Indianapolis, yes, our most convincing win. But the rest of the season was against a bunch of crap teams.

24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep, Bills whooping the Packers, anyone?

25. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Too early to be eatin crow, the tables not set yet! much more football left ..stay tune.;)