1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you like your crow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 21, 2014.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Making the playoffs just bought Tomlin at least 3 more years.

2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Bell is the difference.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Agree. I just hope Haley sticks around.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For sure, no way the Rooneys blow it up now with the team making progress.

His contract is up in 2016, I believe, he'll get an extension heading into the 2015 season.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I just love the fact that Tomlin sticking around for awhile agitates some people!

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Haley has definitely earned his keep. We just have a really balanced offense and I think he is exactly what the Rooney's were hoping for. I'm so glad that BA was insubordinate to them. I really like Haley's system and am still proud to the the President of the I Love Todd Haley Club. Some of my members left to "spend more time with their families" and all that. LOL. If you want in though I have an open space. Just let me know when you can show up for the interview. LOL.

7. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'll eat a little crow, but I'm not ready to eat a whole bird yet. I'm very surprised and very proud of the way this team has turned things around after the jets game. All that said, if we go one and done or if we get absolutely throttled by NE or Denver it will sour things a bit for me. I know this team is capable of being competitive with Nation Wide and pretty boy, and It would be so gratifying to go into their house and beat them. Time will tell if they are ready for the next step.

8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Don't forget I'm still Charman of the board but since I've known him since 7th grade I should probably just be promoted to VP.

EDIT: Speaker of the house.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    You got it! Also that's really cool. I didn't know that. Did you know that Coastal Steeler is his cousin?

10. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    A good Headcoach can get the team up for the really bad teams and crush them. Real pro players get themselfs up for real competitive games,the competition gets the adrenaline pumping, no motivational coaching needed. The only reasons you lose to sory teams are bad preperation,bad motivating,sorry coaching. With our talent we should never win less than 11 games in the regular season. Add losses to sorry teams over the last 3 or 4 yrs. and this year and we would win at least 11 a year. With some of the new talentit should be the standard.

11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I do now. Wonder if he went to Upper St. Clair as well. The funny thing is that Haley never played football. Was on the golf team.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually I think Coastal was talking about that once. What's funny is when I was at the Titans game this year Haley was passing football before the game and looked like he could actually sling it pretty good. Seems like he was actually a lefty as well.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Haley is the only NFL coach who never played football at any level. I don't believe Chuck Daly ever played basketball so success can be had anyway.

14. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Couldn't the fact be that Tomlin has a hand in developing Bell and Brown? He has been here the whole time.
    However, I do believe that the schemes in coach Dicks system take too long to learn, and that if we want to have an improving defense year over year we need a new coordinator and system. coach has had a long and distinguished career, he has more than earned a ride off into the sunset.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't Holmgren make it to the NFL without being a football player as well?

16. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess I have to some to... I always do a 16-0 prediction, because I will NEVER predict them to lose a game. BTW.. I like mine with butter and garlic please

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    to be fair, tomlin was on the hot seat after 2 straight 8-8 seasons.. the losses to the bucs and jets didn't help either...neither does our record against losing teams.... the team is playing better now.. they're more disciplined and the penalties are down, so the seat is obviously cooler now..

haley definitely deserves some props... I don't think we've ever led the league in total offense before, but here we are with one game left, and we're on top of the total yds. list

keep in mind though, that none of this happens without munchak

18. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I'm in too. I got really frustrated with all of our coaches, especially with losses we should have won. I was listening to a national radio show and they stated that we were really young in the beginning and have seemed to gel and grow. Is that the case? Were we just young and I took it out on the coaches?

I know we are young at some spots and old at others and I for one have been a defender of Troy. I will say the coaches and the players are playing very good right now and for that I am thankful but I still can't get the bad taste of Tampa, the Jets and the Saints out of my mouth.

Good Job Tomlin, Hailey and DL for the way we have finished.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

:this!:this

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin may have been on the hot seat when it comes to some of the fans. I don't believe he was ever on Rooney's hot seat.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

the rooney's are far too classy to state anything publicly, but there's no way that tomlin would've stayed if we missed the playoffs for a 3rd straight season

22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree 100%.

This organization has had three head coaches since 1969, and a record that is the envy of the league in that time frame. Having said that, I'll trust the Rooney's and their judgement when it comes to the people they have running their football team, not the mindless nattering of frustrated, spoiled fans.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm not a Tomlin supporter, prob nvr will be ,, But since he prt of the team i will give him credit, ... I don,t eat crow to often, now i kno why ,:sick: dont care much for the taste..:D

24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They're doing a better job as of late.

That's all you're getting from me. :p

When someone is doing a poor job, it's not, in any way, somehow more "faithful" to ignore it.

Besides, our resurgence didn't truly start until certain veterans stood up, and our offense started clicking. If any crow is to be eaten, it's to the Haley haters. But I also agree with the guy who pointed out Munchak may be the secret ingredient here.

And LeBeau is not off my hot seat. One good game isn't enough.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I had stated that I would be on the wagon to move on from Tomlin IF we faltered and missed the playoffs for a 3rd straight season. I also said that he could earn my trust back with a solid playoff appearance and having the team play up to its ability during the playoffs. I was a strong Tomlin supporter until the debacle of the 1st half of last season, and really didn't start to think about moving on until the Tampa debacle this season. That was when I was fully fed up. Things are looking positive right now. Win or lose next week, I need to see this team play in the postseason like it belongs. I think we have the 3rd best roster in the AFC, and I I fully expect to beat whoever we face other than New England or Denver. Against one of those two teams, I would want to see a competitive effort (no lame blowout loss). No matter what, I think he's earned at least another season. However, if we go 1 and done in the postseason and look like we didn't belong, and then follow that up with another non-playoff season next year, Tomlin will be back in my dog house. So I guess what I'm saying is that he's part or most of the way back toward having my support, but I still need to see more to fire up the crow grill.

On LeBeau, I'm still concerned about the defensive scheme being dated and seemingly too difficult for rookies learn quickly enough to hit the ground running. Yesterday was nice, but I think the Chiefs' ineptitude contributed. I' not ready to concede on the defensive side at all. A really nice run of defense in the postseason could definitely convince me.

On Haley, there's no crow for me to eat. I've liked him all along (other than a few minor quibbles here and there).