1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you handle your loss?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Years back I would be mad for a week or so. I would resort to breaking things and taking it out on people.

This sunday I was eating wings with wife at wingstop watching the game.
    I was like wow we are getting blown out... even she was like "what the hell".

When I knew we were going to lose I got quiet and she just said "don't get butthurt". I looked at her and said you are right, it's jsut one game oh well... and I felt fine. Finished my food, played fallout that night and had no anger. My first kid will be born in under 3 weeks. For once I realize there are bigger things in life and it has calmed me down lol. I also believe things will get better for the black and gold, just be patient. Also this site is tremendous for therapy :D

How do you guys handle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Usually I just laugh off the really bad losses. Sometimes an ass kicking is so large that it just becomes funny. Such as was the Eagles game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I use sarcasm.to mask my inner pain .....

Oh and I kill people:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well, this team can accept their embarasment and use it as motivation to move forward and prove it was just 1 bad game like the pats did in 2014, if they use it to their advantage and change the things that need to change they will be all right, but they have to be willing to make the changes needed to get better for these next 13 games..........I handled this loss like I do all losses fix your mistakes and don't make them again....

5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Once the loss happens you can't change it so you simply deal with it. I use to react more upset but when you have a loss that really devastates you the rest of the losses become less important. Sunday's game falls into the less important category for me.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I started by throwing away Monday's paper when it came.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My dog died the night they lossed to the Broncos in the playoffs last year. I never cared less about a football game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing I can say is that no matter how bad we are getting stomped I will watch it til the clock reads zeroes. I don't know if that says I'm a glutton for punishment or what. I HATE losing but I will still set there and take my medicine along with the team but continue to holler at the screen. I generally don't take losses well no matter if it's a Steelers game or Cubs game or video game. I hate losing more than literally anything else in the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I never stop watching the game (unless of course, as we saw this week, the network cuts away). I hate seeing the Steelers lose, but I have my wife and kids to spend the rest of my day with, so I keep a positive perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hope that Cardinals, Cowboys, 49ers lose... life is more bearable since I have family members that fans of all three teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I live in cowboy town so i hear superbowl every year for them. Now with Dak doing good it's nonstop haha. STILL, don't hate them as much as bengals/raisins/pats but very close.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They actually have a better chance with Dak then Tony "glass" Romo.

But no, they aren't winning the SB :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  13. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    If we're down bad, but might still conceivably pull out a win, I watch until the clock hits zeros and turn off the TV just as everyone heads onto the field. If it's an embarrassment, then I'll turn it off after some irredeemably stupid play and go for a walk.

Close games are actually more stressful to me than games where we get blown out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Awesome news about your kid - hope it all goes well.

Having kids had chilled me out about losing. Well, I Have far less time to be annoyed lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This wasn't just a regular loss or blowout.
    This was an oblivion. I don't know if you can correct all the wrongs this team has in a week

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was away on vacation and didn't get to watch the game. Probably a good thing I couldn't watch. However, In retrospect this one really doesn't bother me that much because it was a non conference game. If we're going to lose games, I want them to be to the NFC. Also, I've come to expect that NFL teams will sometimes look like the worst team in the league, and then turn it around. With the parity in the league, it's really that close. Look at the Rams Week 1 - brutally bad performance, then they turn around and beat Seattle and follow it up with a cross country road win. I know that we stunk, but it can be turned around, and the humbling beat down in a non conference game may have been just what the doctor ordered for a team that may have been feeling a bit too high. If we get beat down by KC, then I'll be concerned. Right now I'm saying it was an aberration. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, I usually start by immediately throwing the jersey I'm wearing at that time, in to the laundry. Must get the stench of the lose off the jersey as soon as possible. I don't freak out like I used to, but I still can tell that I am trying very hard not to freak out. Deep breaths, a cold beer, clean up around the house a bit, and try to remember it's just a game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, It kinda bothers me that I don`t get mad like I used to...

I`d like to call it maturity, realizing that other things are more important, etc...

But what it really feels like, is like a loss of giving a **** about something that used to be important to me...

And, God forbid, acceptance of the fact that we will never dominate like we did in the 70`s...

I dunno... It pretty much makes me face the fact that I`ve gotten older, and there are much more important things in the world,
    than how the team that I`m not a part of, in any way, shape, or form, (other than buying their merchandise/tickets, and defending them in arguments with other football fans), does, on "gameday"...

It`s kind of depressing, actually, even though it does keep me from having to replace furniture, or fix holes in the wall/ dents in the car/ etc...

That`s the good part, and it keeps my girl from throwing me outta her house for being a jack-ass...

The downside is, I can`t get the same "high" from beating a rival, or winning a game...

Yeah, if we win a Superbowl, I can shout loud and proud, that I`ve always loved and supported this team, but, week in and week out, I gotta be "even-keel"...

Just takes some of the "rush" out of it...

Sorry for the gloomy reply, but that`s how I handle a loss like this...

I get quietly depressed, and cross my fingers, that the players currently on the team get half as pissed off as I used to, as a fan of theirs, and use it for motivation!!!

I think this latest ass-kicking, will motivate them.

If not, cut them.:butcher:

GO STEELERS!!!:herewego!:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    :tequila:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

If I'm here posting after a disappointing loss, I yell at @bigbenhotness. :lolol:

Hopefully, that doesn't turn into a tradition because that would mean we have a lot of disappointing losses.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks Lady Steel, the last of my Labs, I miss him!

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah thats very unfortunate

• Like Like x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Before every Steeler football game I would pet my Black N Gold pure bred German Shepherd and say Here we Go Steleers Here we go! right before the kick off. She died 2 years ago and the games haven't been quite the same without her. Nothing can replace a great pet. Sorry for your loss. They are definitely one of the family.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks 86, sorry for yours as well. Definitely leaves a hole in your life when they are gone, easy to see why the effect it has on you and the games.

• Agree Agree x 1