1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we handle the RB situation next season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 13, 2012.

1. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    People Shouldn't be so excited about Baron Batch after ONE WEEK of camp in which he did well. I realize that RB is the easiest position to transition in from college but to me he's shown less than Redman at this point and we know how long its taken for him to get on the field. I'm not saying he can't do it I'm just saying temper your excitement Steeler Nation. And no I don't think the Steelers should spend a premium pick on a RB.

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We will be fine.It's a passing league anyway.Our RB's are good enough to get it done.

3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Serviceable RB's are often found in the later rounds of drafts and even the waiver wire. We'll be fine.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think it sure would be nice to see a guy like lamichael james in the backfield from time to time. he would bring that take it the distance factor on any given play to the team. he would also make those DB's cheat up once in awhile letting our deep threats get behind them. ( it's not like we won't want to go deep once in awhile) the guy is very productive. i'd let clay go back on the PS for him. :cool:

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd love it, but I'm not sure if I'd want him before the 4th round. I think this is the kind of guy they want though. Haley had Hightower in Arizona, and Jamaal Charles and Dexter McCluster in KC, so he'd probably be able to utilize someone like James... Not to mentioned that as Brown becomes more vital to the offense we could use another return man.

I'm a big fan of Isiah Pead too. He's not as elusive as James, but a better all-around runner and blocker.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've seen a few mocks that had us taking a RB in the 3rd ,Bernard Pierce from Temple. I also remember Redman stating at the end of the year that he was going to work on his speed in the off-season. Don't you guys think that now that he knows he is going to be the feature back at least in the beginning that he can and will go about training differently. He should probably come in a tad lighter and more explosive now that he knows he isn't strictly a short yardage back. You can't knock his heart and determination so far in his career and I'm not going to start now.I expect big things from Sir Isaac. Thoughts?

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mendy is expendable. I didn't think they could replace Barry Foster and then they got Bam Morris, then I didn't think they could replace him and they went out and got Jerome Bettis.

8. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was reading an article last night about Clinton Portis being completely healed up and in the best shape hes ever been in after taking a year off to get back on track. Now before yall tie me up and stone me to death just step back and take a look. Portis has been in the NFL for 9 yrs and 7 of them he rushed for over 1200 yds. At this point i believe he would be an awesome 3rd down back. Love his running style. He could help out the redzone offense and bring a veteran pressence to our young group of RB's. Probably get him pretty cheap, even if just for a one year deal???? :shrug:

9. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say we bring in a running back that can compete. Probably in the draft. Older FA running backs do not seem to be successful in NFL. They are beat up.

Lets draft one in the 3rd-6th round who can run. I think speed would be good.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we would be fine without any if they come in healthy next year. dwyer is no slouch. batch. clay. even spann was a good back and now he will be on the same level as the rest with knowing the playbook. they all will be learning a new one. we did pick up the back that was with minn. when spann was activated also. :cool:

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I really think we are fine at this position.We need to go oline ,lb,cb

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Why not? He'd be very cheap, and you bring him in to camp to see what he's got. Cut him if he's done. I think he could work well in a RBBC with Redman.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I rarely think these kind of things are correct, but for some reason this one might make some sense.

Because many assume because B. Batch was having a good camp that 1) It directly translates to success in the rest of the season (we really don't know anything about him yet) and 2) He is coming back from an ACL injury (that much we do know).

He and Mendy might turn out to be shells of themselves and if that's the case, the RB corp that we all thought was stacking and looking good might turn out to be shallow and vulnerable.

Lots and lots of unanswered questions coming into this year.... :popcorn: