1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we handle the RB situation next season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    According to a couple articles Colbert said he doesn't expect Mendenhall back at 100% to start next season...
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-on-mendenhall-to-return-for-start-of-season/

First off, I'm skeptical of anything that any GM says during this time of the year until after the draft. But it puts us in a bit of a strange position. I've seen a lot of mocks with the Steelers taking a RB in the 3-4 rounds.

I think we've got a bit of a logjam at the position, with a lot of guys with potential but none that seem like a good bet to become a starter. Obviously Redman will start if Mendy can't go, but then we have Clay, Dwyer, and Batch behind him (I think Batch replaces Moore)... all of which have shown a little bit, but is it enough to rely on?

So do you think we draft a guy? If so, who's the odd man out on the roster now? Do we go with what we have until Mendy comes back?

Maybe you take a RB somewhat early if you don't think Mendenhall is back after the season.

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hope we don't have to use the draft, especially 4th round or higher, on a RB. It's a skill position in which we should be able to find some value after the draft in free agency.

3. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I. Redman, J. Dwyer, B. Batch, Clay, and maybe M. Moore

We will be fine until Shard is 100%
    No need to waste a valuable pick here

4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Baron Batch was supposedly having a good camp last year, and we'll have to assume he'll be back. So as of right now, we should have Redman, Batch, Dwyer, Clay (mendy)... if they are that worried, then resign Mewelde Moore (I don't think it's necessary).

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd be surprised if we draft a RB. With Redman, Clay, Batch, and Dwyer I don't see them using a draft pick. Maybe they bring back Memo for the vet minimum or maybe Chad Spann will make an appearance again this year. :hmmm:

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :this!:

What he said.

7. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I am really hoping Baron Batch becomes a "Ray Rice" or "MJD" type of back for the Steelers...

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Me too. He was impressive in camp, though hopefully the injury hasn't knocked him too much.

9. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We have MUCH bigger priorities than another RB. I would rather use every pick on O-line, 1 NT and some defensive backs. In fact, I would rather use the first 4 picks on O-line than pick one RB.

10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Correct me if im wrong, but didn't Batch have the same injury as Mendy? An ACL if I remember.Can anybody, especially a RB be 100 after that happens? I hope im behind the times on modern rehab and stuff because I too don't want to use a pick when I think this group is good.

Also, I don't get everyones issue with Moore. He always seems to be very servicable when we need him to step in. He's lowest on the depth chart at this point and can't cost much money. I'm in no hurry to let him go.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Haley had Tim Hightower and Edgerin James who was on the downside of his career when he was in Arizona. The carries were split pretty much 50/50. I think he will make use of the backs more like New England does.

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Correct me if im wrong, but didn't Batch have the same injury as Mendy? An ACL if I remember.Can anybody, especially a RB be 100 after that happens? I hope im behind the times on modern rehab and stuff because I too don't want to use a pick when I think this group is good.

Also, I don't get everyones issue with Moore. He always seems to be very servicable when we need him to step in. He's lowest on the depth chart at this point and can't cost much money. I'm in no hurry to let him go.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They'll probably put Mendenhall on the PUP list for Camp, but apparently if he's on it on opening day, he has to sit out the 1st 6 weeks of the season.

14. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Can we just waive mendenhall? I don't think we are going to resign Him so why not waive him already?

15. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The team cant just waive a player thats on IR. The team is responsible to pay the player until his injury has healed. This is usually done by reaching an agreement for a specific amount of money, called an injury settlement. Other teams are allowed to pick up players on the waived injured list but they are forewarned that the player is not in condition to play.

16. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Im saying it now Barron Batch will be the 2nd string RB out of camp, and will split carries with Redman! Mark it down and see me in Aug/Sept. Batch was on the fast teack to pass Dwyer and Clay got on the field due to others injuries. Batch was lighting it up last year and turning heads in the process. He was the "camp talk" and if not for that ACL he would have got to the field this year.

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Synopsis of several ongoing threads:

- Waive Mendenhall -- we got Redman and Baron Batch - RB is all set
    - If someone wants to give a #1 for Wallace let him go. Limas Sweed is still around
    - Take-a-hike-Ike that performance in Denver means we can't use you.
    - Keep Hines Ward, he's got plently left, BA and DWTS are the only reason he had a bad 2011.

Man, oh, man. Do you all believe what you post, or is there just a full moon out right now?

18. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    basically just going to pile on what everyone else is saying . . .

we are stacked at rb. it's what people call "a better problem." other teams should be so lucky.

priorities: o-line > rb

in the nineties we ran the ball like crazy because our o-line was awesome (dirt, love, jackson, haselrig, strelczyk, stai, searcy, gandy, etc). it was awesome to watch. an unknown named barry foster led the conference in rushing. when he went down, leroy thompson, erric pegram, fred mcafee, richard huntley, bam morris . . . anybody and everybody were putting up 100yrd games.

we're fine at rb. focus on the line.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think they need too and will add another RB.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    dwyer redman and batch +clay or a late draft pick in the beginning than they will wait the last cut if there is someone cheap that can be usefull

21. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This!

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mendenhall will be back at some point and will likely take back over the starting job at some point. If he lights it up in Haley's system, we will re-sign him. If he struggles or isn't the same player due to his injury, we'll let him walk and probably go with Redman or Dwyer as our starter

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    where's tim lester when you need him? :superman: :cool:

24. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you 43.

Redman is the only "proven" RB we have on the roster going into next season.

A mid-round pick would bring much needed competition and depth into camp.

25. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:
    My thoughts exactly.