1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we Fix the Run Defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I keep seeing Natta, from old Ravens teams and like it in our division.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t think this guy is as quick or as athletic as Natta. What about Bresee? That is a guy that could perfect. Big, Strong, Athletic and definitely a 3 down player.

3. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    To small, this fella is huge like Knnata was

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Great point....I don't know if someone could said just one year that the steelers have overachieved on a entire season under Tomlin.I know it happen often under Cowher,like 1992,2001,2004,etc

5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Where did you read or see that they are the worst ranked defense??

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    let me rephrase

this year is Tomlins worst ranked defense in all the years he’s been with us

7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Ok. I misread it the first time u said it but yeah...these big contracts come with tons of risk. I'm specifically thinking about Watt. I'd rather pay 3 solid, good players then 1 player the money he is getting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    This guy is more a of ) technique 1 technique. Tomlin is allergic to those kinds of guys. I think it is wishful thinking. He is looking for large guys as in 6’5” 315lbs that are athletic and can rush the passer. Basically the only kind of player that will work in his scheme. Your guy isn’t a fit for Tomlin scheme.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    OK

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Knee and pec issue this year two things he needs for pushing power and speed. Hope he recovers in the offseason because he looks bad right now

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The knock on, trickle down consequences of Ryan Shazier's injury can't be overstated. The franchise has spent a lot of draft capital trying to overcome that loss.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    new strength coach. we need to be stronger on the D-line. we are getting man handled up front. our guys move backwards on way too many plays. quick and strong would be a better combo than quick and weak. too much worry about a pass rush and much less about run stopping in the last few years. same could be said about the offensive line. we need some strength up front. never been a huge fan of giemont. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    They need better players. The only reason the front is worth mentioning is an aging Cam Heyward. Ogunjobi has shown flashes but has been inconsistent and injured. Behind them, Devon Bush is incompetent and shouldn't be playing at all as far as I'm concerned. Spillane is a practice squad player on most other teams, but he does put out maximum effort. Jack is okay, at least he plays hard. He'd likely be better with improved line play and a decent ILB'er beside him.

All the money spent on this defense, and it is very mediocre. I don't want to hear any more about how Watt's injury wrecked the season. The first game against the Bengals was a mirage. Their line stinks, for the most part and they had no answer for Watt for the whole game. Good teams will scheme around one player. Watts absence or relative ineffectiveness due to injury that is rendering this defense impotent tells me that most of the rest of the unit just stinks. Losing one player on defense shouldn't adversely affect the fortunes of the whole unit to the degree that losing a quality starting QB like prime Ben would upset the offense.

Lastly. How bad is this unit's coaching. Schemes? Who knows who is calling the shots? Is it DC Autin? Flores or Tomlin or all three? Hard for me to tell if the coaches make the players look bad or vice versa. Probably means both are below standard.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Great thread SR. I dont have the same level of knowledge of the nuances and player types and schemes as you described in your opening piece but I too was demoralized and looking for answers on how the D has regresses against the rush via talent (though draft) , scheme, execution, quality of depth when injury occurs over the last couple of years.

I know the game has changed with the Josh & Patrick and RPO's but if I was a GM I would try to build around the line 1st with a NT like Casey and try to find guys like Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. Even the Bus had trouble running against those teams.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Fire coach Olsavsky ... get rid of Bush and we should've gotten Roquon from chicago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    To the OP, so, did we fix it?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    The scheme was much improved. Players lined up in different positions and not as predictable. The biggest improvement was TJ actually did some things other than just rush the passer. Maybe he has done it before, but this is the only time I have ever seen him maintain lane assignment and not just rush the passer. Glad to see that either he figured that out or perhaps some coach actually thought about this. Third and long he rushed the passer and that is sound football. Up until today, third and two he usually takes himself out of any type of run containment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Larry O also showed up to play yesterday. He’s been hit or miss this season, but when he does show up, he’s a difference maker. Also Cam had a big game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I reserve on the side of caution. I think we were able to focus on the run more this game because Carolina has no threat of a passing game. I doubt we duplicate this defensive performance against a team that can throw and run the ball. With the being said wouldn’t it be nice if we could actually get some blue chip Defensive backs and let them play single coverage and then we could solely focus the front seven on stopping the run?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    they definitely schemed to stop the run, part of why TJ moved to the middle from the first snap of the game.

22. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    For sure, it's just one game. To be fair, if they had a passing attack they were worried about, they wouldn't have focused on the run. Raiders coming to town have both a running game and scary wideouts.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Keep putting Mark Robinson out there . OMG did anyone notice #93. He was everywhere. Dude is fast to the ball and explosive

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers Offense needs to score more and teams will be forced to throw the ball trying to catch up.

Problem solved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    and we cant loose no more games

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1