1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How cold is it?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Guest, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

We have had a very mild winter thus far in western Pennsylvania. Currently in my neck of the woods, it's 8 degrees with a Real Feel of -12. We got about 4-5" of snow today and it was extremely windy and blustery. Winter has finally arrived, and I hate it.

[​IMG]

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Where I live in Ohio, it's been unseasonably warm until this past week. The last few days have been bitter cold. Right now it's 10 degrees, but the windchill has been around -15 to -24.

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    In Minnesota where I live it has been right around 0 during the day and 10 to 15 below at night for the past week. It is going to get a little worse over the weekend at 20 to 25 below at night.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Currently 11 degrees with a Real Feel of -3. I'm off work through Monday, and stayed inside in my jammies all day and made a big pot of homemade beef vegetable soup.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah not looking forward to that for the weekend. Wife wanted to take the kids sledding but I said the weather is going to be just too cold

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Will probably get up to about 65 today out in the Cali Hi Desert but was down to 16 last week. Tons of snow about 15 minutes away in the nearby mountains. Sounds like you need some help consuming that veg soup. Out here they think menudo is comfort food (grosser than chili on spaghetti). How bout everyone who got new jammies for Christmas head on over for a potluck for the game Sunday. I'll be sporting my new lucky LL Bean flannels. They were the only reason the Bungles imploded last week. :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

It's currently 17 degrees with a Real Feel of 5. Major snow storm heading up the East Coast. We're supposed to only get between 4-8" where I am. Keeping my fingers crossed we don't get any more, but I'll most definitely take less.

I hope everyone affected by this storm stays safe and warm. Be careful out there.

8. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Not as cold as the past 10 days.

My area is only supposed to get 1 or 2 inches of snow. We'll be getting rain mostly. THis will suck because if it freezes, the roads will be a sheet of ice and no one can drive around here.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    From the east coast of canada, this has been a great winter so far. Not very cold and not alot of snow. Big change from last year.

Speaking of the current storm on the east coast of the USA, are cities like Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia not use to large snow storms? The media is making this out to be one of the worst storms ever.

Where I live we had 4 storms of 20"+ of snow last year and 2 of those were within 3 days of each other. No states of emergencies, few companies shut down. Life goes on as normal. Just wondering how government and communities in the States react to snow.

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's 45-50 down here. After watching the weather my first thought was thank god I live in the south

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably anything south of Washington has a real hard time dealing with snow. NY and Philly deal with it like you do, shrug it off.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Storms like that are an anomaly for that area. They can't justify having the equipment/resources on hand to deal with them because they don't happen that frequently.

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
  15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The storm is tracking further north than they expected. My area just went from an expected 6-10 inches, to 12-20. Any further north, and it's officially a blizzard.

I'll be ok. The liquor cabinet is stocked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Storm tracking even further north than expected. Forecast now for 24-30 inches. Stopping just short of calling it a blizzard here. (Sustained wind speed not high enough... yet). I fully expect by morning for the weather people to just throw their hands up and say "!@#& it. Elsa is pissed!"

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Snow Day!

Who is being affected by this? Half foot and counting here, supposed to go all day. Latest forecast is 12-24 inches. :ninja:

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    And we officially have a blizzard! :D

I missed the one in 1996 (I lived in GA at the time). So this is my first blizzard since, I think, 1982.

And, of course, my company still expects us to come to work. Already 17 inches on the ground. A foot or more expected in addition. Drifts over 3 ft already. Complete whiteout conditions. Roads haven't even been plowed. Literally everything in the county aside from hospitals have been shut down already. But come in!

Challenge accepted. :lolol:

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Never mind. Snow day! :D

Work just called and said they're shutting down. In 16 years, this is only the second time they've closed for weather. (Sandy being the other time)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

It's a snowpocalypse! We received over a foot of snow and are expected to get an additional 8" today. It was hairy scary driving home from work last night, and I have to go back in this afternoon.

Like Ray stated, it's windy, as well, and the snow is drifting. I was talking to our plow guy earlier this morning, and he said there was a 3-vehicle accident in front of his house at about 3:00 AM and one of the women involved in the accident was taken to jail. She was wasted! Can you imagine? Dumb broad. She could have killed people. :mad:

Just last month on Christmas, it was 60+ degrees. How the heck am I supposed to wear flipflops in this crap? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

Lucky you! That's great! Enjoy your time off. There are no snow days for me as I'm an essential employee. I could call off, but I'm not going to do that. Sick people need me, so I'll put on my coat, boots, gloves, scarf, hat, and any other crap, go to work, and then come home and have a glass or two of wine. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I used to be in that boat. Then I changed careers. Didn't help... until today. ;)

My sister is an RN. When they had the blizzard in '96, they sent a National Guard Hummer to pick her up and take her to the hospital.

My wife is a nurse, but she is home health and was called saying not to come in. She was ready to go when they called her.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    If you really enjoy the blizzard and want to experience them again feel free to move up to the east coast of Canada. We typically get 4-5 of them per year ;)

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's supposed to drop all the way down to 66 degrees here today! With a 70% chance of getting .01 inch of rain tonight! Let the flooding and accidents begin!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1