1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How about one more Sweed tryout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCityDynasty, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    James Harrison was my guy...and I was stunned year after year when he was cut...did little from 2002 till 2007..Both he and James Farrior have said he wasn't ready early.....turned out ok..

Where was Kurt Warner? That's right bagging groceries....undrafted in 94....was not even on a roster till 98....only got his chance because on injuries to Trent Green...Marriucci said he had the talent but wasn't ready in 94 with GB....turned out ok

Jerome Bettis went from rookie of the year to bust in 3 years with the Rams....Bettis and a 3rd for a 2 and a next year 4?...that turned out ok

I wanted the Steelers to draft Brandon Browner in the first round(Heath Miller)...he went undrafted...spent first season in Denver on IR...was cut year 2 for roster spot...went to Canada....came back to Seattle for 2011 and made pro bowl in his first real year in the NFL...7 years later....so far good for Seattle

Randy Moss went from wonder kid in Minn to bust in Oakland....was traded to NE for a 4th round pick...caught what? 50 TD's in 3 years?...turned out ok

Sometimes guys need the right coaching and opportunity.

HACK

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What exactly do you mean gave him a chance? He made the team under Cower and eventually started a few games under him and then went on to start full time under Tomlin. All the while he was being coached by Dick Lebeau. All this really has nothing to do with Sweed. Sweed was cut by Tomlin. Maybe Cower will come back and we will resign sweed and he'll go on to be a HOF player.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The only reason harrison ever started under cowher was due to injury or porter getting tossed. Tomlin comes in amd hes the defensive player of the year. Sweed never really got a shot under arains so maybe haley cam do for sweed what tomlin did for harrison.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agreed, but at some point you have to move on as a team and the Steelers did. You can't go back and resign every draft bust on the off chance you end up with the rare situation you have with a guy like Warner or Harrison. I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring Sweed to camp, but do you really think the Steelers will?

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm done talking to you.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    It depends on the draft but i think there is a possibility. I honestly think if he wouldnt have hurt his shoulder in camp last year he would have made the team.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Am i supposed to be upset about that

8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    No....I don't think they will....I think they should... They already invested time and money into him....a 1 or 2 year deal for a guy coming off an injury now costs them virtually nothing.....If Todd Haley who likes big WR's can turn him into something...HUGE WIN...and helps recoup some of what was already invested....if he cant...it costs them nothing but a roster body in camp....which is already full of guys who will never play a snap in the NFL.....Haley likes the big WR...BA liked the speedy WR (lets not forget...BA has wanted Ward out for at least 2 years)

HACK

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't understand all Sweed's detractors reasons to just looking at him at camp? Yes, he had some bumps, but he comes with all the physical traits we need, familiarity with the offense and it's players, won't tie up any draft spots and will be very cheap cap wise. Why not take a peek? It hurts NOTHING.

Bringing up other players has nada to do with this guy. Cases by case basis please...

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fixed that for you.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We have already looked at him for four camps. When does it end?

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess you'll want to retract your statement that nobody is saying make him #1 receiver?[/quote:q78yfkn1]

I NEVER said make him the #1 WR. In fact, if you read my posts, you'll see I said I don't expect Sweed to even make the team. Whatever issues held him back in the past are likely to continue to hold him back. What I said is he has #1 talent if he could ever get it together.

I'm all for giving him another shot in camp because we can easily find a spot for him. There's so many players that come to camp, many of which are just not starter material. With a new OC in Haley, perhaps he could work with Sweed and help him get it together. Probably not, but again, there's no risk and a ton of upside. If it doesn't work out again, then forget about him for good. But with Haley, perhaps it's worth one more look.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    We looked at harrison for four years also and the only reason he is a steeler and not a truck driver is becuase haggans got hurt lifting and cowher needed somebody and harrison knew the defense. Read it for yourself so im sticking with cowher never gave him a legitimate shot http://www.steeleraddicts.com/docs/jame ... tory.shtml

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This doesn't say he can be our #1?

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    If we still had BA, I would agree with you that there's no reason to look at Sweed, but new coaches sometimes work wonders for players careers. Perhaps Haley could work with him and help him get over the mental issues that plague him. There is no denying that Sweed has ridiculous talent that HAS translated into the big leagues. During practices he makes ridiculous catches and never drops anything, Ben and Ward have said as much. Clearly the game isn't too much for him, it's his own head holding him back. If it was a lack of talent, then fine, give up on him, but if he could just find some confidence, he could be a really good WR. That's why so many of us want Haley to give him a look. Nobody is saying sign him and start him, we're saying let Haley look at him and work with him a bit and see what happens.

Is it really the end of the world if that happens? Just not sure why people are so adamant about not even considering the guy. He has the tools to play this game at the pro level, he just needs help to get it together.

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Could be is very, very different than me saying he should be. He has the talent to be a #1 WR, it doesn't mean he will be or I want the Steelers to sign him to the active roster.

Don't be so difficult with everyone on here. My point is clear, I want the Steelers to give him a look, nothing more. If it pans out, great, if not, I'll never mention his name again.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Guy had four years to show the Steelers what he had and didn't. Sure bring him in so when we cut him again people can complain that Haley didn't give him a fair shake. By the way where is he now?[/quote:3ae32jwa]

I have no idea, I really didn't know he was still on the team but after thinking about it, he was put on IR, can't cut a guy on IR right? And if they bring him in and cut him, I'll forget about him quicker then a Mike Wallace TD. I just know the guy has a gift for getting separation and 3 of those 4 years he didn't even play.[/quote:3ae32jwa]
    As far as I know he was cut in camp or shotly there after in 2011. I have missed maybe four Steelers games in the last 25 years and I don't remember seeing Sweed play much at least not enough to see him get this great seperation that I keep hearing you talk about.[/quote:3ae32jwa]

That you keep hearing me talk about? Or do you mean people in general? If specifically me, then you have me confused with someone else, I haven't been pimping Sweed, this is the first I have spoken of him since last ST probably. I just know he has the skills and having him in camp doesn't hurt. Like Hack pointed out, some other players have made a big splash when everyone else thought they were done.

18. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    it also hurts nothing to watch Larry the Cable Guy: Federal Bikini Inspector again. the first time was probably bad enough. but then some people want to endure second, third, and fourth viewings because 'it hurts NOTHING?' and, what? MAYBE it'll be good after a fifth viewing? so you want to pull it out of the trash bin and gather round the tv for another shot?

it sucked then, it sucks now.

19. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    the examples you mentioned (with the exception of harrison) aren't very similar to sweed's. and they are the VERY RARE exception. 99.9% of guys who lurk around the bottom of a team's depth chart then suck when they see the playing field are never heard from again.

warner cashed in with his very first shot at playing time (sweed crashed and burned repeatedly).

brandon browner also cashed in with his first shot at real playing time.

moss was a future hall-of-famer prior to a year in siberia. bad example.

bettis was on a lousy rams team and was shipped off to a great situation. sweed has been surrounded by a corps of super bowl winners his entire tenure in the burgh. another bad example.

and, regarding harrison, he never sucked. he just played a reserve role and never really got a chance to prove himself until '08. sweed has had chance after chance after chance . . . and blown every single one. all i think of when i think of limas sweed are his drops in cincy and in the afccg (that damn near cost us the conference title).

limas sweed was terrible. now he, what, spent a year on IR and is supposed to be better?

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    He was showing signs of coming around before he got hurt last year. It has never been a talent thing with sweed its been mental. Bring him in see if he has gotten his head right and if not see ya. I havent heard one person say guarantee him a roster spot.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Read the article i posted about harrison. He gave up on plays he didnt know what he was doing and would just stop and put his hands up. He was very immature and his head wasnt in it. That is why he kept getting cut. He also had a bad attitude and an anger problem but it finally clicked for him.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I don't trust any athlete after an Achilles injury. Its kind of a career killer.

Honestly I had huge doubts about Colon coming back with his Achilles too. We never really got a chance to see how well he bounced back from that one.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Last year was the shoulder not the achillies. Like i said bring him in if he can go great if not o well have a nice life.

24. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

and as for your Larry the Cable Guy movie reference....here is another one.....I avoided the film Shawshank Redemption for years....I did not like Tim Robbins, I thought the name was stupid, and the few minutes I had seen here and there bored me to tears.....Yet when I finely gave it a real chance...its one of my favorite films ever....so yes...it did get better when I pulled it out of the garbage to watch it again.

HACK

25. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Hack i like you its like your in my head. Ive never been great at stating what im thinking you do a very good job of it.