1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How about one more Sweed tryout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCityDynasty, Feb 25, 2012.

1. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    how come nobody wants to give fred gibson another shot?

he was tall, black, fast, and sucked too.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Now we're learning something about you... People amaze me too.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sweed? Really? We should probably bring back Alonzo Jackson too. We are tring to improve people not take a step back. The person who started this thread should be banned. LOL

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of you are pretty closed minded. Sweed has all the talent in the world, his problem is all mental. If he could ever build up some confidence, he could turn into a damn good WR. That's not likely to happen though, but there's no risk to bringing him into camp to see what he can do. If it doesn't work out, cut him.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who cares what his problem is? He can't catch, No thanks. I love how some fans think they know more than the coaches.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We don't know more than the coaches, but this is a discussion forum, and some of you seem to want to kill any discussion you don't agree with.

And Sweed makes ridiculous catches in practice, always has, Ben and Ward said as much. His issue is confidence, meaning he can catch fine if he stops thinking about it and just catches. If he had a great camp and built up his confidence, he has the talent to be our #1 WR.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So I can't have an opinion on the matter? Sweed had four camps to prove his worth and didn't so why would we loose or pass up a proven receiver to make room for him. At some point you just have to move on as a team.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sweed is an enigma he makes the hard catches look easy and the easy catches hard. Its like if he has time to think about it forget hes gonna drop it. Bring him into camp plus hes a very good blocker

9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Nooooo, Mike Wallace was the eventual replacement for the Sweed.

Sweed was a worthy pick in the draft, just didn't work out. No room for him now and I would keep Cotchery.

BTW, I was a huge Sweed fan and drafted him right where the Steelers did on my board too. Again, he was a worthy gamble/pick. You win some you lose some.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A very good blocker? Based on what, one monster hit in the Championship game in 08? Sweed is not coming back, get over it folks.

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Every time he was in he was a good blocker thats something i watch on all our wrs

12. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012

I agree there is low risk, I would worry if he makes the team since he and Sanders haven't been healthy.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah one big hit. I wish Sweed would have turned out to be the player we hoped for when he was drafted, but he wasn't and still isn't. It's not that i don't want him to succeed, but his time with the Steelers was over last season. Time to move on and focus on reality.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one is saying to make him the number 1 receiver, simply saying bring him to camp, what will it hurt. The move has tons of upside and no downside.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nobody's saying to make him the #1 huh? Read 10 posts back. Shanner82 Thinks he can be our #1. And what will it hurt? The Steelers have to pay the guy.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Exactly. Sweed's problem was that he dropped some huge passes and was fogotten about by the coaches and shunned by most fans. Torrey Smith had the benefit of being the only other guy besides Boldin on Baltimore's roster. Sweed had competition and we could afford to dump him by the wayside. Bring him in for the preseason and keep him until final cuts; he should be able to show us what he has by then.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly how many times should the same mistake be made before you recognize it just wont work?

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
  19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    What mistake? The dude has bountiful talent; if he figures things out he'll be a HUGE weapon, even moreso than Wallace. Bringing him in for 2 months to take a look at him will not cost us anything important. Would rather have the looks go to him than Tyler Grisham, who will amount to exactly nothing in the NFL. If we brought in Plaxico last year for a visit we should bring in Sweed for a camp body.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they pay him then obviously he is good enough to be on the team. So no harm.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Really just a waste of time talkining about this cause it's never going to happen.

22. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He was hurt and out for the season the last two years, correct? Cannot remember last year.

So pending injury, he probably would have been on the roster the last two years.

A team needs to dress 3 legit receivers, especially this team with the poor running game. If Ward tanks, Cotchery leaves, and there is an injury, this team has 2. The way this team relies on the pass, a fourth guy is important. He has played in games and made a few plays. This team has depth as of now, but that can quickly change.

Nothing wrong with bringing him in to camp. Look at William Gay this year: bad to good. It is annoying though how some people get so stuck on players.

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    1 great block does not make Sweed a great blocker any more than 3 drops make him the worst player to ever where the uniform.

Dropped two easy TD's....one was in his first real playing time as a rookie....and people hate him. Wallace dropped more than that last year...but because he has a few TD's under his belt now...he is the man.

BA said publicly that Wallace and Sweed would split time in the #3 spot.....then played Wallace the entire game....Publicly apologizing to Sweed in the Trib saying..."Sorry, I kind of forgot about you" Sweed then split time with Shaun McDonald in the #4 spot....they caught one pass between them the rest of the year.

Sweed - 1 catch
    McDonald - 0 catch
    Logan - 1 catch
    Grisham - 1 catch

the #4 WR did not get looks in the BA system.....our #2 TE Spaeth had 5 and our # 3 TE had 2.....thats 10 out of 351 caught passes.

BA was fired because he did not know how to use all his weapons...he was a carpenter that never used anything more than power tools, even when a screw driver and hammer where needed. The Pats, Packers, Giants, and Colts all make their QB's look good because they use every tool in the bag...and keep a defense off balance.....The Ravens...you take away RICE you will win more often than not.

IMO what BA never got...is football is about match ups....Its why the Giants beat the Pats twice last year and yet lose twice to the Redskins.

BA did not do situational football...EVER....and he as much admitted it....On more than one occasion he said we "just do what we do, we don't worry about what they do."

HACK

24. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say bring him into camp. There is still a chance he will show well, especially with a new OC looking. If he succeeds, he could be a major weapon along with the other WRs we have. The guy had a couple of drops and some people really blamed the entire season on him. The one vs Cincy, he causght, but lost it when he hit the ground hard on his back. I have seen that happen to some of the top receivers.

Bringing Swwed in for a look has no risk and could turn out really well. If he is able to harness his talent we could line up Sweed and Wallace on the outside and Brown and Sanders in slots. That would give any defense fits.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hack I have read many of your posts on the other forum and respect your opinion on many Steeler topics. To clarify I'm not saying Sweed doesn't have the talent or that the coaching staff didn't screw him up. I'm just saying right or wrong his ship has already sailed with the steelers.
    As long as we're quoting B.A. didn't he also say Mendenhall was going to be the lead dog? I think we are going to find out real quick that despit our success over the last five years that B.A. held us back in alot of ways.