1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How about one more Sweed tryout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCityDynasty, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SteelCityDynasty

SteelCityDynasty Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I know before you bash me to death about he could'nt catch a cold let's think about our roster for the upcoming season. We're not sure, although with the recent moves and restructures by our guys I think they will now keep Mike Wallace, what our receiving cast will be this fall. I heard stories on the boards about Sweed looking like a new player before his achilles injury. And at 6'4 or 5 I think it is he would provide Ben with a big target and he already is familiar with things here in the Burgh. If we happen to lose Cotchery or Ward and if I had a choice it would be Cotchery, I think Sweed could fill his role. I'm sure the contract would be low and one that the Steelers could handle. At least bring him in for a workout if nothing else. If he is washed up then there would'nt be anything to lose. There would only be an upside to this situation I would think. What are some of your thoughts?

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wallace,brown,sanders(healthy),cotchery,saunders,miller, and ward or rookie ??? :shrug: Ward would make an excellent wr coach

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would give him another shot lyons as well he seemed to be having a good camp until he came down hard in his head.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would give Sweed another look for sure. The talent is there, that's not the issue. He needs to get over the mental aspect of the game, that's his problem. If he could ever get it together, he could be a force.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would give his another shot. Just another camp body to throw too and you never know. If he doesn't make the cut, no harm no foul.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Limas Sweed turned 27 last Christmas Day, In September, it will be 3 yrs since he caught his last pass.

Bring him to camp, I suppose, but surely there's camp fodder out there that is new, younger and potentially as good.

Not bashing the orginal OP, but there always seems to be some piece of the fan base that never give up on a particular player no matter how ineffective, how injury prone or how old he might get.

What the best case scenario for Sweed at this point? 4th/5th WR?

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would bring both Sweed and Lyons back ASAP....I blame their development more on BA issues than any issues they may have. They could not run a 4.3 so BA had no clue what to do with them.

I let Cotchery walk...as I feel he not only wants to play more..but will want more money than a #4 WR should be getting.

6 were dressed most games last year with Brown, Sanders and Battle on ST's Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Ward, Battle

With the thinking that situational football might have a place in Pittsburgh again now that BA is gone.

if I were to dress 6 this year.....Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Ward, Sweed(takes Battles spot), and Lyons....With Sanders, Sweed, and Lyons on ST.

It would help keep the SPEED guys going if there was some rotation...Wallace, Brown, Sweed, and Sanders can all go deep....and one of them probably should be on every snap....Keep those Safeties on their heels....give Ben his deep target if they break loose....and then have the others working the underbelly.

Sweed could catch..he just dropped a a few TD's early...and he got labeled.....But Sweed and Lyons both provide huge mismatches...especially inside the redzone....

its really no surprise the the Steelers struggled inside the 20.....the field gets small...and all the Steeler WR's except Ward and Cotchery were guys who play well in space where there speed and shiftyness are on display....but none of them are go up and get the ball guys......Ward and Cotch were find a hole and sit down in it guys...to go with the quick guys....Redman the hammer was on the sidelines to quote BA "not eat Mendenhalls groceries"

Philip Rivers has made a career to this point of just throwing the ball up and letting 6'3", 6'4", 6'5" guys using their height and reach to out size smaller DB's

The Steelers could have and should have a "big" package...how many 5 wides did we see down close? LB's cant cover Sweed and Lyons, and DB's cant size up with them both....even if neither caught a pass...they demand attention.

HACK

8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

About the same best case as Cothery at 30 years old...or Ward at 35....and its not been 3 years since he last caught a pass...its been less than 12 months..he was in camp and playing well till injury.

HACK

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hope they give Sweed another shot and he becomes a stud. Otherwise, that draft will be one of the worst ever. For a team that builds through the draft, there were an awful lot of whiffs in the 2008 draft.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It wasn't a great draft, that's for sure. It didn't have to be as bad as it turned out though. BA destroyed the career of Mendenhall. If we had Haley for the last 5 years, Mendenhall would be the best RB to come out of the draft and top 5 in the league every year, I absolutely believe that. BA didn't know how to run the ball, he didn't practice it nearly enough in camp, he didn't practice it throughout the week, and he wasn't committed to it during games.

Mendenhall may or may not be at full strength at some point next year. If he is, look out, because I think Haley will have him breaking off 100 yard games left and right. If he doesn't get back to full strength, he'll probably sign with another team in 2013, and depending on where he goes, I think he'll have a monster season. The guy is super talented, we just haven't used him correctly at all.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    What could it hurt? If he still wants to play that is...why not? Never know what could happen!

12. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Mendenhall was a solid pick. Although I do have to say that you really couldn't miss on RB's in that draft. There were so many. After that though, it was horrible. Sweed - bust, Bruce Davis - bust, Tony Hills - bust, Dennis Dixon - why is he on this team again? Mundy - actually a good value pick in the 6th.

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would give Sweed another tryout.Why not? We really don't have anything to lose.If he still can't catch,Then get rid of him.As long as we don't give anything up for him,I say why not?

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I definitely say give Sweed another shot especially if Ward and or Cotchery are not back. I agree with Hack I think he was definitely a victim of the BA offense,yes he did have some bad drops but also he was never involved early in a game to get him comfortable. With all the talent we have at WR someone with size is still missing.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Torrey Smith of the rats was pretty bad at dropping passes..he got better near the end of the season...maybe the same can happen with Sweed. give him the short easy passes then see what he can do,,leave the long ball for Wallace.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No risk, high reward. Why not? He keeps getting injured. It would be nice to see him go through a whole preseason with no injury and see what happens.

17. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So you cut Cotchery, who PROVED he is good, and you are already dressing Ward, who may be done, and Sweed.

There may be an injury to Wallace, Brown, or Sanders and a PROVEN GOOD Cotchery would be nice to have. Ward is going to hit a year that he is sub-par and done ; probably not this year but it could be. Sweed has proven nothing, yet you have him as a starter. All of this before the draft where the team could get another guy, even in later rounds, that is a stud. NO.

But, letting Sweed come to camp hurts nothing. I am for it, but doubt he makes the team.

18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No thanks have a nice life selling insurance sweed

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We still have Sweed??? Give him a shot, why not, was doing good in ST last year until he got hurt. I still crave a big target for Ben in the Redzone. Not holding my breath though.

20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  21. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    No I don't cut Cotch....I just don't resign him.....I have a hard time believing Cotchery would want to come back to Pitt unless he gets no other suitors...He asked to be let go in New York because he didn't want to be buried on the depth chart. Cotch wants not only to play, but to be paid, and a multi year deal....the Steelers should not offer anything more than vet min, and a two year deal.

I like him...I think he can play....which is why I think he will end up playing elsewhere....BA should try to bring him to Indy...He would be a nice weapon for Peyton/Luck.

HACK

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Shunka that's priceless. Perfect. Sweed? Really? :lolol:

23. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    sweed?! i'm beginning to think there's too much moronocide in the allegheny waters. i guess the same people that thought arians was THE sole reason for our red zone deficiencies are the same mensa-ites pimping sweed.

limas sweed is one of the worst players (any position) to ever suit up for this franchise.

people amaze me.

did someone really say that it was arians' fault that sweed wasn't productive? hahahaha. sweed dropped a wide open td in the end zone in cincy that would have put the bengals away in '09. instead, the bengals came back, beat us, went on to win the division (by 1/2 a game) and we failed to make the playoffs (by 1/2 a game). he also dropped a wide open td pass against the rats in the '08 afccg at heinz that nearly cost us a trip to the super bowl. damn arians!!

limas sweed . . . NOW i've seen it all.

wow.

just . . .

wow.

24. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We've already wasted too much time, money, coaching, 2nd round pick, etc on him. Fool me once ....

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Is this exaggeration for effect or pure stupidity?

The coaching staff is partly to blame because they never put him on the field. Three drops out of twelve balls thrown his way and you call him the worst player to ever put on a uniform. I'll put aside how stupid that is for the obvious reasons, like the fact that plenty of Steelers weren't ever good enough to make it past the first round of cuts. Who did we play in his place? Nate Washington, a guy who had arguably worse hands than Sweed and dropped passes so regularly we got used to it. Not to mention he did not have the ability to get open like Sweed. The fact that he was covered on all of his many drops is probably what got him a pass from coaches and fans. Nate was allowed to play again and again and again, and eventually made some plays and earned himself a $28 million contract on another team.

Besides, what is your problem with bringing him back to camp? He can be cut at any time. The man's loaded with talent and has never been able to use it because of his own mental issues, injuries, coaches, and limited opportunity. Do you know the percentage of 49er fans that wanted Alex Smith back at camp last summer? Probably in the low single digits. Not like they had any other options, but everyone still seemed to think it would do more harm than good. They measure production and call it a day. They might as well not watch the sport and just look at the box scores online. Morons.