1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How about making Shazier ....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Jan 2, 2020.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A talent scout or head of the talent scout group? His evaluation skills have to be better then what we are getting now. He will still be part of football and helping out the Steelers in a major way.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he already does help with scouting. Pretty sure he was involved with last years draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good ... but, is it official or is it like an internship?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey defva.

Maybe, may be not. Sometimes, some of us fans, myself included, get infatuated with a player because of his high skill level and automatically think he would be a good fit in an administrative role such as a position coach, scout, strength & conditioning coach, etc. To be clear, I am not saying that this is what is going on with you. I have been known to do the same thing.

The most current example I can give is Joey Porter. Who was great for us as a player but not so much as a position coach. I am sure Management would have a much better grip on this than us. However, Ryan is still committed to helping this team even through all that he has, and continues to, go through. That speaks volumes to me from a "Team-Guy" perspective. I would say great idea in that regards. From an experience perspective and being effective at it, especially at such a young age, I just am not sure.

On a final note but similar idea, there are those that think Hines Ward would make a great WR coach. Once again, great player but I just do not know as a coach. Then again, everyone needs a starting point for life off the field when they have to finally hang-up the cleats. And it is still a great way to stay in touch with what you are passionate about in life.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Although Joey Porter is a good example of good player/bad coach, the better example would be Joe Greene. Mean Joe was our DL coach for a couple seasons but really sucked at it. He was an OK player though.

I do think Ward might transition into a decent coach though. Toward the end of his career he was basically an asst receivers coach and helped develope the young money crew. He wasn't very effective in teaching the right attitude other than by example but I believe he was very instrumental in teaching other aspects of the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Joe Greene was assistant head coach for the steelers for 16 years under noll, 5 years with the Dolphins, and was the cardinals D line coach for 8 years he obviously didnt suck as a coach....

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Joe Green just an ok player ? !

My opinion on players making the transition to coach is this. Seems like the players, the great players will natural abilities that take the game by storm are not the best at coachin .
    Its guys like Noll, Cowher that were not household names and had their playing success due to their intelligence of the game, love of the game and working their tales off to be apart of the game.
    To me Hines would be a good coach because he played smart. I think his want was what allowed him to do well.
    Tony Dungy was another one. Nothing special about his play but very football wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I just hope that those involved in picking talent for us now will not be the same people who would pick someone new to pick new talent.

10. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I dont recall his coaching that long so i looked it up and you're right. That just goes to show that contrary to popular belief, even I am not perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And he is the only player to receive all six SB rings, he got the last two as special assistant for player personnel number 5 with cowher and number 6 with tomlin, he retired of course in 2013 from the steelers....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This. Great athlete does not always equal good coach, coordinator, scout etc.

And give credit where credit is due - Hines motivated his players enough to get a Gatorade shower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought, he headed up the scout team before he officially retired

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey sjromano.

Yes, Hines seems to be a great motivator. I was not saying that he could not, or is not a great technical WR coach, he may very well be. Like I stated, all coaches, or anyone of any type o employment, for anyone in this world, needs a starting point. I did as a teacher and a coach. For Hines, I hope he becomes a very successful coach at all levels and then GM, and then Owner, and then whatever his goals are.

Take me for example, I taught and coached for over 40+ years. Someone had to give me a chance and they did. I am grateful to this day that they did. And it worked out well for both sides. Not bragging, just making a point: I won the "Teacher of the Year Award" at one of the toughest Inner-City School Districts in this Country as well as coached a number of championship teams and individual champion runners. However, none of that would have been made possible if no one was willing to give me a chance.

Shoot, I would hire Hines in a heartbeat if all that he initially brought to the table was the "Motivational Factor" to the table. in time, he will grow into all the other aspects of a great coach if he is not already there. I hope it is with the Steelers. That would be freakin' awesome.

Being a great Motivator is definitely one key factor to being a good coach/leader no matter what the position is: Sport's Coach, Supermarket Manager, Principal of a school, etc. However, to take it to the next level it may not be enough. To be successful as a complete leader, one has to be more well-rounded. I am not saying Hines is not. Eventually, the rah! rah! only goes so far and the Xs and Os have to compliment the "cheerleading" aspect of being a great leader.

For me, and my observations, this is one of Tomlin's shortcomings. However, that is why he needs to surround himself with a strong supporting cast (OC, DC, ST coaches, etc.) to compensate for any of his deficiencies. And that is okay as long a he recognizes this. There is never going to be a 100% Complete Coach out there. That is asking for "Perfection" and none of us are "Perfect".

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yep naturally gifted guys just do things by instinct. Jaromir Jagr said he could never coach a young guy on how to shoot the puck. There is no "figuring it out", they just do it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    PITTSBURGH, May 7 (UPI) -- Mean Joe Greene, the man many fans believe to be the Pittsburgh Steeler's best player ever, has retired as special assistant to the team's general manager.

The Steelers announced the change Monday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle for the Steelers for 13 years, has been Kevin Colbert's special assistant for pro and college personnel for seven years and earlier served as a defensive line coach.

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey I think you're perfect..............but then again, that's my opinion against millions. :lolol:
    Listen, anyone who is brave enough to be Jack Lambert's Dentist, has to be perfect! :thumbs up: I'm a pretty mellow guy but there are times I want to assault my dentist when she's probing around my pie hole with very sharp instruments.

• Like Like x 1
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes ... exactly ... fancy pancy title to head of the scouting team

19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree with you 100%. I just think that this team needs to temper hiring Steel City icons for the sole reason that they are such, rather than a proven commodity. The emotion has to be taken out of the decision, especially if hiring someone who hasn't been proven - e.g. Joey Porter, who was a personality rather than a good coach, but we found out the hard way that he was more distraction than benefit. Someone with HW's enthusiasm and undying love for the Steelers would be great, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of hiring him if he doesn't bring anything to the table just to fire him and create bad blood a few seasons later. As someone mentioned just above, can he translate his approach towards the game to a young WR? Or is he one of the many athletes that just "do it" and can't tell you how/why?