1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If the Steelers lose the next three games which seem almost inevitable does that finally get TOMLIN on the hot seat??

I mean overall an 11-5 record is good but to go down again late in the year in this fashion has to concern even the biggest TOMLIN backer.

How many times do we need to see the same story? How many times do we need to watch the same ineptitude year in year out until a change is made.

I can’t imagine even if Ben comes back next year which he says he will this team is remotely competitive with his decline and age. It certainly feels like the end of an Era but maybe just maybe a fresh start with a new HC.

Here is to hoping.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They started 11-0 so I think he is quite safe. There are enough mitigating factors in his favour, injuries on defence, injuries on offensive line, Bens implosion etc.

My guess is Ben retires at the end of the season saying he gave it his best shot but his body isn’t able for it any more. He will know as well as anybody that 2020 was his last stand, the team is about to lose up to eight starters in free agency. It’s over.

If Ben does retire then I’d expect a big shake up on the offensive coaching staff, bye bye Randy, maybe Sean Sarrett too. Rebuild that OLine and try to forge a new offensive identity under Matt Canada or another young OC. QB would be a huge issue of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Future hof quarterback gives the opposition 17 points and the usual suspects scream fire tomlin

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree, but Tomlin should have replaced Ben after that first half. Even if Rudolph stinks it up you got to have some accountability.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. Mason should’ve played

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    You and the big Rooney think alike. Let’s chalk it up to bad luck for the 11th year in a row. I swear next year will be different!!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I am sure Tomlin would of said I stuck with Ben because he gives us the best chance at winning, and he is probably correct.

I think Ben played with everything he had in the second half, it is not anywhere near enough with that offensive line and no decent offensive scheme.

When Ben hit Johnson in stride he looked like he was chucking it 70 yds to get it thirdy.

8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben has been just awful the last few games and it really looks like his career is over. However who is to blame for the terrible O Line? The lack of a running game? Having assistant coaches such as RF and KB on the staff? No backup QB plan?

Blaming Ben is warranted but to act like TOMLIN is not a huge problem is being a blind homer.

9. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The sad part is this beaten down pathetic Ben is probably equal to Mason. What a pathetic job of grooming a backup plan.

10. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Unless Mason has been practicing like crazy and improved a 1000% I think he would have been even worse. Rudolph just doesn't seem to read the field fast enough at the NFL level and it wasn't like he mastered the dink n dunk offense last year.

Last night showed what you get when your QB is allowed to opt out of practicing Ben was as sharp as a marble in the first half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    tomlin on the game:

We turned the ball over in the early portions of the game. You can't do that vs. anybody," said Coach Mike Tomlin. We gave them a short field three times in the first half, and it was an uphill battle the rest of the way because of that. I want to give them credit, but largely, we have a lot of work to do. We're not a good football group right now. We understand the consequences that come with that. We are working on a short week. We have to be better than what we've been. That's just the reality of it."

12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Interpreted as we will do the same thing next week and expect different results. Then I will have the same speech prepared after that ass beating.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    here's more from Tomling. no worry we're "focused"

“We’re one-foot-in-front-of-the-other in terms of our mindset,” Tomlin said after a third consecutive loss and a fourth consecutive performance by his offense that did not amount to 20 points. “We’re singularly, professionally focused regardless of the outcome of football games. That’s where our head’s at.”

I agree with this next statement as well:

If you were singularly focused, you wouldn’t have your most experienced wide receiver, JuJu, out there dancing on the opponent’s 50-yard-line logo in the pregame. If you were professionally focused, you would not allow a rookie wideout, Chase Claypool, out there with him, filming it for JuJu’s TikTok page. Worse, JuJu’s childish antics appeared to have real, tangible, painful football consequences in a three-turnover first half, wherein the not quite AFC North champs couldn’t seem to put one foot in front of the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin is nothing more than a broken ****ing record

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It starts at the top, the man in charge period. He will get a pass as usual, but, Fitchner, Sarrett are gone and hopefully Ben finally realizes its time to get on with his life's work. He will be a 1st ballet HOFer and really is never going to match Bradshaw's 4 rings in which he wanted.

If he comes back next season its at the tune of 41,250,000. He retires or released and its 22,250.00. The 1st round pick needs to be a QB even if they decide to bring Ben back. Oh, and the cap number next season:

$176 million

Over the Cap estimates the 2021 salary cap will be $176 million, a decrease of $22.2 million or 11.2 percent from 2020. In past seasons, complying with the cap has been relatively manageable -- and somewhat easy for fiscally thoughtful clubs -- because of the percentage increase year over year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    the steelers are always over the cap or at the cap. not sure why but it just seems like that's the way things are

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So you would sit Ben in the only half he played decent football? Ben played better in the second half that Mason would have.

18. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    you are correct. Mason is and always will be a bad QB. He has nothing to give. Next year is going to be quite interesting

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Big ben has thrown 30 tds to 10 ints that's more than rivers. He's got enough to finish the season. If he stinks it up against the colts who normally has great success then we can say he's done

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Rooney’s team, Rooney’s call. I’m sure you wouldn’t want some random guy telling you how to run your business.

people can only invoke change with their wallet, not their mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Its a copy paste speech from the last three games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    RF and The OL coach will almost inevitably be fired. TOMLIN won’t but I’d like to think he’s truly on the way out after next years failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Bro you’re a worried colts fan, stop worrying this isn’t Ben of 5 years ago

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s time for a change for sure. I don’t hate tomlin but man it’s been 10 years of setting standards

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I would hope after next year 12 years is a big enough sample size but this Rooney sucks so who knows??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1