1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Homecoming for Aaron Donald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 7, 2019.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Around here, a coke oven was where you stashed your blow when the cops showed up!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    From my watching of NFL football Aaron Donald might be the most dominant defensive of lineman since Reggie White

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

At the time, I really did not follow the college game during Marino's era. As I learned more and more about his talent, boy do I regret that the Steelers did not pick him up. All of those below the line QBs that we went through without a franchise QB. I am fairly confident as you are that with Cowher's defenses and Marino we would more than likely have gotten a few more rings. I remember the year the Bears won it and had only one loss. That was a Marino-lead team that beat them. That said a lot given how dominating that Bear "D" was. We easily could have had a few more championships for sure if he was at the QB helm. Oh!!!! What could have been. Management really dropped the ball on that one.

That in part, is why all of the sentiment (me included) for Ben given the championship drought between him and Bradshaw. That was nearly two and a half decades and so many QBs that came and went. A number of near misses in playoffs that we probably would have gotten over the hump with Marino. I remember a sound byte from Ben's college coach to the effect that Pittsburgh will be very happy with their selection of Ben. He was right on spot with that comment. STEELWINDS

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    There's no might. He is.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Hanratty #5 for bringing up all the past Pitt greats.
    I watched most of those players in person. What a collection of talent.
    BAMA now Pitt then. Pitt was it. Those men could play football.
    Side Note PGH Central Catholic is #1 seed in 6A wpial playoffs start tonight
    Pine Richland and NA will battle each tonight, What a game that should be.
    I wish I could still suit up.Pine Richland's HC was a pretty fair player at Pitt also.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I finally found you:) I believe the year was 70-71 Central was playing North at Three Rivers. We (Central) got a fumble and returned it 99 yards for a 7-0 lead. Then it was a nightmare. North beat us like 60-7 or something that bad. My problem was when the good Catholics from North came over to start a fight. Hell you guys already whipped our ass on the field. The police made sure nothing happened.

Does that game ring a bell with you??? I was at Central 69-73. Danny boy was there 74-78. I used to love telling the ladies back in the day that Dan Marino broke my passing record at Central Catholic. A huge lie but there was no way to check back then and it didn't help me get the ladies anyway:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Kasperowicz is a little more my era with Pitt football. I was a little young to see those teams in the '70s through Marino's career.

Lucky me, I arrived as student at Pitt during Paul Hackett's tenure. I did get to cover the press conference when the fired him, so that was fun, but it Alex Van Pelt and Curvin Richards didn't quite live up to the legacies of Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I say Donald will get at least 2 sacks.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to take away from his normal stellar play, but he was just average during last SB, 1 tackle, 4 assists, Pats rushed for 150 yds, 1 team sack (not AD). Gronk and Edelman had field days catching the ball over the middle. Just saying.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at that game. North won some form of state championship that year.

It was only a year two later that the Catholic League folded. There were some good teams them.

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    What an era I was able to grow up with. These were great players.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'll take the over.:(

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Wish him luck. Just not this week.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Swervin Cervin remember him and Van Pelt quite well. Let's add Fitz, Shady, Dione, Aaron Donald my what great football players that have played for Pitt. The Hawk (TD) is still my all time favorite
    I was a young boy probably about 12 when my midget football coach took me
    and an other player to see TD against ND his freshman season, Ara Parsegian highly ranked
    team. TD ran all over them I have been a big Pitt ever since. Still am
    but disappointed. I want to see them play in meaningful games.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Can Aaron stay? I wanted him then and would take him now. Too small, wouldn't fit our 3-4, where would be play? Yea, right. Anywhere he wanted.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    One positive if the NFL became the NBA like all these players want. We'd have the best player in the league on our team.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Dealing with him without an adequate run offense to go, disastrous.
    Who will be Mason's go-to back behind scrimmage?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh sh!t... relax people. Steelers play up to competition like the Rams. It's the Bengals, Jets and Browns we have to worry about under Popcorn regime.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Optimism from you??? Yep, AD is going to have 5 sacks.

We are doomed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I disagree. We are not DOOMED against a Los Angeles team at home. TJ Watt and Bud Dupree are gonna lay waste to Goff! We have Bu$h at ILB.... and Minkah ball hawk.

Browns, Bengals and Jets later on? Yes... we are doomed for those games. Obviously.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I know you did Mac, I wish he could stay.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Really don't follow HS football but proud to see my old High School kicking some butt. I'll have to write myself a reminder to see who wins the game.

Where are these type games held?? Early 70's I went to Three Rivers to watch some sort of Championship game between Central and North Catholic. Central got an ass whipping that night.

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    They play the WPIAL championship at Heinz Field. All 4 classifications

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rams are 2-6 playing in Pittsburgh since the SB era begun.