1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Opener

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by santeesteel, Apr 25, 2012.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My wife and I just bought game tickets and air fare to come to Pittsburgh for the Jets game in Sept. (1st time ever in Pitt.) A few questions:
    1) who's going to be tailgating?
    2) Can we join?
    3) What can we bring?
    This has been a dream of mine since '72 and I can now get the time and dough to come to football mecca! :yeehaw:

2. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I won't be there, so, just a guess:

1)everyone
    2) yes
    3)your luckiest Steeler jersey and TT

One HUGE piece of advice, if you've never had an Iron, it's a headache in a bottle. It might not be so much the hangover, but the hugest hangover headache you'll ever know. If you've not built up immunity over a lifetime, it can be a monster. At least have one, to say that you had one.

If you've never been to the 'Burgh, your final initiation will be to have a chipped ham sandwich.
    You'll probably have one anyway, but Primanti's is a bit over-rated (OK, kill me now for saying that)
    To be truly old-school, your first chipped ham sammich takes precedence over Primanti's, in my book.

Learn how to say 'yinz', or the sub-'burgh-dialect 'yunz' (long u sound), ...as in 'you guys'.
    Also, 'dahntahn'(kind of sounds like 'dan-tan), ...as in 'downtown'.
    ---"Yinz goin' dahntahn later?"
    Any word ending in '-ing', leave off the 'g'.

Plus, a bump for later add-ons.

3. GOAT

GOAT Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    where are you staying

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    He'll be in tahn for more than one day. He can fit BOTH a chipped ham sammich and Primanti Brothers in one trip.

Agreed on the Iron City - but you have to have ONE. There was some other kind of beer that my grandpa used to drink that was even worse. I can't remember what it was called.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Homestead, I remember you from the old board. Used to enjoy reading your posts. Good to know That we could possibly tailgate with some a yinz (hows that?) As for Iron city, I didn't always drink beer but when I did, I drank Killians, or Pacifico, or Corona. I don't drink at all anymore as I can get fat just fine without beer. I don't know where we're staying yet but, one of the first stops has to be at Primanti Bros. I've been hearing about it for years. :yeehaw:

6. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks!
    Also, the Primanti's in the 'strip district' (area of restaurants /warehouses, fairly near to downtown) is the original, so, make sure you go to that one.
    Should be easy to find, try not to go at lunch, etc., parking can be a pain.

Don't forget to go on one of the 'inclines' along Mt. Washington (...er, Mt. Wershington, in yinzer language).

Have fun!

7. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Also - remember that if someone cuts you off in traffic or does something stupid - he's a jag-off!

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm very familiar with that one as, apparently, every car I drive is invisible to the jag-offs of the world only, here, I call them something else!
    BTW, we're sitting in sec. 508 for the game. Looks like decent seats!

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My bro normally throws a big tailgate in tye gold lot. Im talking huge 20 bucks drink and eat all you want. i will post more when Tue details are hammered out

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweet! I'm really looking forward to this! For those of us who've never been, a home game at Three Rivers/Heinz is a "bucket list" thing! :yeehaw:

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I went to my first game in the burgh a few years ago for a Monday nighter where we beat the ravens in overtime. You are on the right track for everything and have had good advise thus far so I won't add anything cept for 2 little bits. Go to the church brew works down the street from the Iron city brewery for an ok meal, decent micro brew and awesome atmosphere. Nobody ever talks about this place, but its a gem that most cities can't boast.

2nd- as someone had already said the friggin parking and traffic to the game. I think Limas Sweed planned the parking or his ball droppes in Steel town are second to this parking planner. I can't imagine a worse situtaion. But! I have been told by many that parking across the river and taking the ferry over is not only easy but balls out fun. It droppes you right in front of the stadium for an amaxing entrance. Enjoy!

:towel: :yeehaw: :herewego: :herewego: :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego: :towel: :yeehaw: :herewego: :yeehaw: :herewego: :towel:

12. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Congrats on realizing your dream! A Steelers game, especially in the Burgh is one hell of an experience!

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm going out on a limb here, but was it called Old Frothingslosh? Had a friend who visited Pitt in the early 80's/late 70's and he brought some home.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Congrats. You will be in for a helluva good time.

Not sure if its been mentioned above, but an incline ride to Mt Washington is a must.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Just gots to have ArnCity. Just one is all it takes to remember it 4evr, and as an added bonus one also puts some manly hair on your chest. You don't drink it you swill it but you will remember it <shudders>.

On the other side of this equation, one homemade chipped ham BBQ sammwich is all it will take for you to crave it the rest of your life. Be sure to tailgate and go to parties cuz that's where they''ll be and you'll thank me later. Get one that someone made in a crock-pot, homemade.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It all sounds good to me. My wife has friends living there so they'll have more ideas too. The hospital chain she works for also has a campus in Pittsburgh and, apparently it's close to Heinz so we can park there. Hurry up September!!!!!!! :yeehaw:

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    santeesteel, make sure you get to an afc championship in pittsburgh. nothing else in this world like it!!! i've been to the last three, and have vowed that i'd make every one since the first...lol

18. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    No - I just remembered it - it was STONEY'S! I don't know if it is even still made.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Going to Heinz for a Steelers game is as addicting as any drug know to man. Once you go, you will want to go back. I get to go to about two games a year now. Before my daughter was born I used to get to about half of them. You will have a blast.

20. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree about it being addicting. I went 3 years ago and now try to make a game a year. Going to the Skins Steelers game this October. You will have a blast no matter where you sit. Make sure you bring plenty of cash for all your memorabilia... :)

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good advice all. I'll have plenty of discretionary cash but, coming in from San Diego every year might not be in the cards. :yeehaw:

22. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I come in for a game every year. Spend Saturday in the Strip District...it's awesome with all the Steelers gear and the Steelers music blasting on all the street corners. Sunday I hit up Bettis's bar right outside the stadium for some pregame beers and then head into Heinz to scream like crazy for 3 hours. Last year I went in for the Ravens Sunday night game (still painful to think about) so needless to say, my stay at Bettis's bar was a long one on that day but it was a great time and a great atmosphere in there!

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you are in to the arts go to the mattress factory its cool also the warhol is awesome