1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoke retired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jsteelers077, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Another great Steeler who was only appreciated by Steeler Nation and not the rest of the league. It was great having him on the team. Thanks for everything Hoke!

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the years of hard work Hoke...you were great!

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for all your hard work, Chris.

I'll miss him. The guy had a lot of heart.

5. jftwist

jftwist Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Amen... Enjoy your retirement!

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll admit I was never his biggest fan, but he had a lot of heart and played well beyond his level when it counted.

Best of luck to you in the future, Chris.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    "It's time to get on with his life's work." He was serviceable but nothing special, IMHO.

8. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He did an awesome job when called on. Cudos to him and enjoy retirement.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for your hard work, Hokie. You'll be missed.

10. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks Chris Hoke. You will be sorely missed.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    NOOOOOO! Sad, but expected. Too bad about the injury, he was a "low mileage" guy and could have played a few more years. Thanks for all your work! Come back and dance!

diehardsteel, come on man. I am a Casey Hampton fan as you can see, but Hoke was dynamite. He could have left to be a starter elsewhere anytime he wanted. When he stepped in for Big Snack, our run defense did not suffer. That is astonishing considering how much depends on the NT. Anyway, I'd rather not debate about it here. Hoke is a classic Steeler if you ask me, and one of my favorite players. I'll miss him.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I disagree that he could have been a starter. But as you say, this isn't the thread for that debate - what matters is the truth of the last point: that Hoke was very much a classic Steeler. Hard working, team player, stepped up when necessary, as I said before, often well above what was expected of him.

13. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Chris Hoke is a sterling example of the hallmark of all great Steelers teams- good depth. He played as hard as he could whenever asked, always achieved above (admittedly low) expectations, and retires with 2 Super Bowl rings. Bravo Chris, best to you in your retirement, and thanks for all you did.

14. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Alright, I wasn't going to say anything negative about him but you forced it out of me (snack!). I thought hoke's play was ok, which coming from an a$$ hole like I can be sometimes, is a good thing. He did his job and there wasn't much of a drop off when he was in the game. But, I personally never liked him for a purely selfish reason - untold times after home games as my son stood out in all sorts of crappy weather, sharpie in hand, trying to get player's autographs as they were leaving the parking lot, Hoke was consistently one who never stopped for him. In fact there were times I swear he sped up as he drove past my kid. There, I said it! Perhaps some of the dads out there can relate, maybe just a little. So arrivederci Hoke! Time to get on with your life's work!

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: This, I did not see coming.

I never had occasion to meet the guy, I just assumed he was very nice because he seems like it on tv and from what I've read. And I think he's Mormon, which doesn't really mean he's nice or not, but it might mean he didn't want to see your kid because he's got 9 of 'em at home and is sick to death of the sight of kids. :shrug: That's a joke, by the way, so don't get mad at me people.

16. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    I always liked Hoke. I agree, he was a classic Steeler. Hard working and seemed to give 100% all the time. I thought he was a very good backup. Thanks for your hard work Chris.

17. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

Not a problem. The counselor at my anger management class has been working with me on stuff like this, so no worries. :thumbs_up:

18. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hoke, i wish you and your family the best. thank you for busting your butt in that Steelers jersey. i think it's safe to say that Steelers Nation respects you. :D

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks for the memories. This guy could of started on half the teams in the league. Wish him the best.

20. LA_STEEL

LA_STEEL Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks for the 11 season's. Hoke always came trough when called upon. :yeehaw: :herewego:

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Funny how Hoke gets to announce his retirement and Arians doesn't.......just saying...

22. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    When you say typical steeler you are honer about hoke. I played 12 years of nt and respected him every time he stepped on the field. What he lacked in ability he made up gor in smarts and heart. If hampton had that he would be a first ballot hofer

23. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

+1000

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Hoke and enjoy your retirement. May favorite scene for the Super Bowl XL video will always be you saying "ride the Bus" as the snow comes down versus the Bears.

25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Just want to echo what has been said...
    Great job, when called upon,
    And way to represent the proud Steeler Tradition!!!
    Best of luck to ya, and know that you will be missed!