1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoke/Hampton....???

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by CaBurghfan, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With Hoke retiring, and Hampton older and due alot of money, is a big NT in our plans? I know we need a CB and O-line help, but I see a couple of websites have Devon Still falling to us in the first.

Considering he's rated top 10 in some people's books, so would you be happy if we skipped the other 2 positions for him? Not holding out hope, but guy is a beast.....

2. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My apologies....didn't notice the special Draft section. But, VERY NICE!!!! Like it!

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In a perfect world, I would prefer to take a NT later in the draft. We have enough first rounders on the DL as it is, and I'm okay with Hampton/McLendon for this year, so I'm okay with our guy not being start-ready from day 1. Our OL needs two starters for week 1. I'd like to get at least one of them.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    So you think Hampton will take a pay cut to stay here? And you think he will be 100% and ready to go after surgery? I'm not 100% sure on either of those to be honest. I think there could be a 2nd/3rd round NT for the taking but we'll have to wait and see I guess. And on the OL comment...2 starters from day 1? Which positions are you speaking of?

5. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well I didn't know about Hampton's surgery yet. If he's healthy enough to play, I expect him to play here one way or another, even if it means a pay cut. I'm not sure I see another team willing to pay him more than the Steelers, given his age and injury.

I'm not happy with either of our starting guards.... Gilbert - ? - Pouncey - ? - Colon ....If we get a premier guard in round 1, that solves at least one of the guys that needs to be replaced. That leaves Foster/Legursky battling it out for the other spot. I'd still like to draft another one, maybe in the 4th or so, wherever one presents itself. To me those are the two positions that aren't acceptable the way they are, I would like one of those fixed for week 1. Ideally, a 4th rounder could beat out the other guys and we'd have two new guards. But I'll settle for one with a project for the other. I'm also happier with McLendon than I am Kemo. And since drafting Heyward, moving Ziggy to NT is actually a possibility. He'll need to get a little stronger though, I think. I just think OL is a much bigger position of need, with or without Casey. DAMN IT why did Hoke have to get hurt??

And given the way we draft, I'd rather roll the dice with a 3rd string NT than a 3rd string OG.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I actually thought Foster had a decent year...especially the second half of the season...plus given the fact that he's worked next to 3 different RTs the last 2 years. I wouldnt be against him staying there...unless an absolute cant pass up player is there in the mid rounds that could start right away...which i doubt. Look at C Scott and Williams from last years draft. While I still am holding out hope for C Scott (at RG)...we'll have to wait and see...hopefully this year he comes in lights out like it sounded like he was at the beginning of camp/etc last year but then fell flat on his face so to speak. LG is my biggest concern...if we can get a stud 1st/2nd rounder...I'd be happy too.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree totally. Our oline is a mess and has been for a few years.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. I wonder if Hampton's increasing lack of "stats" is at least in part down to offensive schemes catering for the NT better. If that's the case, then there's simply no point drafting a Haynesworth-type guy who wants sacks'n'stats. Hoke and McClendon are testament to the fact that in our line, the NT needs to be a workman and block the gaps.

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    3rd ROUND***, not string.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree about Foster, he had his best year by far this year. But still, overall, I think he is playing below the line of what we should expect from a starter. That's why I'm okay using a later draft pick to replace him, a guy who can fill in eventually instead of on week 1. Unless we're lucky and he can do it on week 1. Or, if it doesn't work out that way, we can push it down to next year and just fill one of the OG spots this year. But I don't think he's the answer for 5+ years, like everyone else on the line (including our new LG we're going to draft).

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we need somebody that can push the pocket ,too much time we are running around without collapse the line of scrimmage

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it doesn't always have to be a big ugly to slowly push it back though. hoke did it with quickness. casey , when he first got here and made a name for himself was quick off the snap. he then ate himself out of that and had to rely on his girth and a bull rush. he was much more disruptive with the quickness. it can be just as useful. maybe we get a guy like martin from mich. he's not huge but makes alot of plays. speed can also make teams have to double team a guy. it's all about disruption. how we disrupt them doesn't have to remain the same. :cool:

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes! We need to morph away from the fat-boddied NT of yesteryear and start thinking about someone with quickness and athleticism.

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes! We need to morph away from the fat-boddied NT of yesteryear and start thinking about someone with quickness and athleticism.[/quote:yriubpib]
    I'd like to have at least one Hamptonesque guy active on gameday, even if he's the backup and can't rush the passer at all. I know the game is changing, but it's not like teams never run the ball. What do y'all think made our run defense so special? A large part of it, literally and figuratively, was that guy. Especially on the goal line. Even if the running game is reduced all the way to 1/3 of the game, that's still a huge part. With Casey in the game, when a team has 3rd and goal from the 1, I am positive they will pass it, and it gives our team a huge advantage. If all we have is small quick guys, will that still be the case?

Anyway, I'm okay with switching the roles. Have the Hokie guy start, and the Big Snack be the backup/run stuffer/rotator. I don't want us to stray from what makes us special.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to have at least one Hamptonesque guy active on gameday, even if he's the backup and can't rush the passer at all. I know the game is changing, but it's not like teams never run the ball. What do y'all think made our run defense so special? A large part of it, literally and figuratively, was that guy. Especially on the goal line. Even if the running game is reduced all the way to 1/3 of the game, that's still a huge part. With Casey in the game, when a team has 3rd and goal from the 1, I am positive they will pass it, and it gives our team a huge advantage. If all we have is small quick guys, will that still be the case?

Anyway, I'm okay with switching the roles. Have the Hokie guy start, and the Big Snack be the backup/run stuffer/rotator. I don't want us to stray from what makes us special.[/quote:2c3ptl0p]

they have brought in some highly touted guys when they came out of school. actually i'm quite excited about a few of them. maybe weston can be that bigger guy. bryant, blanc, chaviz, weston, hood, woods. we have a few guys to be in the fight, and some decent backup DE's out of the bunch. there are some later UDFA guys that could be brought in too. by the way, what happened to the guy we brought in last year that was supposed to be a good pickup? from southern miss. or somewhere. we could also look to our favorite little hidden school down south that we seem to pay more attention to then anyone else, marshall. bullock looks pretty NT worthy as a role player. :cool:

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Anyway, I'm okay with switching the roles. Have the Hokie guy start, and the Big Snack be the backup/run stuffer/rotator. I don't want us to stray from what makes us special.[/quote:33sdjqqc]

they have brought in some highly touted guys when they came out of school. actually i'm quite excited about a few of them. maybe weston can be that bigger guy. bryant, blanc, chaviz, weston, hood, woods. we have a few guys to be in the fight, and some decent backup DE's out of the bunch. there are some later UDFA guys that could be brought in too. by the way, what happened to the guy we brought in last year that was supposed to be a good pickup? from southern miss. or somewhere. we could also look to our favorite little hidden school down south that we seem to pay more attention to then anyone else, marshall. bullock looks pretty NT worthy as a role player. :cool:[/quote:33sdjqqc]

Yeah, I'm fine with having a lane-plugging NT on the roster, but I don't think we need to invest a high draft pick into that position anymore, or at least that type of player for that position. Heck, send one of our scouts off to Samoa and offer the biggest, strongest dude there a FA contract for the league minimum. His coaching instruction - "stand right here and don't let anyone move you or run past you."

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We better get one in the 2nd round, hopefully one that can also get after the Qb.