1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoge: Steelers still have a strong belief in Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It sounds more to me like they still believe he can be the starter, but he hasn't proven it yet. Until he is proven, they need to bring in competition to push him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Pickett were to have a sub-par half, there will be calls for Mason. Whether there should be or not can be debated, but given the current set of circumstances, there will be. You know how fickle fans can be.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d say any GM with questions at the QB position have had discussions with Chicago over Fields, that’s just due diligence. The amount of interest is the unknown part IMO.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    So now you backtracked from a couple of games to a half

I’m starting to think you are related to my wife :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure there are some NFL GMs who just don't think Fields is good. Sure, I'd take him for a Day 3 pick, but that's not a serious discussion.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Sounding more and more like he is the guy this season. The Fields and Wilson stuff will be sorted soon, about another week we should have an answer who the QB will be this season.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I believe he will be right about Caleb Williams; a very good but the all world QB people make him out to be. That Hero Ball playstyle isn't going to work out as the primary source in the NFL. Hell... even a Patrick Mahomes who had to sit a year behind Alex Highsmith quickly realized how inefficient this was after his Preseason showing. From 2018 until his Super Bowl loss in 2020, Patrick relied on Hero Ball more than people believed. Major reason he is such an outlier is two words; Tyreek. Hill.

Post 2020 though?! Mahomes now only relies on said trait when he has to. Should Caleb figure this out?!..... Chicago may be finally onto something. That said, given how they will let Caleb do whatever he wants, wherever he wants and whyever the reason?!... don't bank on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would still say be on the lookout for Fields. As I said in another thread, the *deadline* for Chicago is rapidly approaching; this coming Monday as that day is the legal tampering period. Given how Monday is essentially a deadline of sorts, if the Bears are hellbent on nabbing Caleb Williams and jettisoning Fields... they may have to move Fields at a lower price.

I do agree thought that Pickett is still the guy. However, if Pittsburgh can inquire about Fields for a 3rd or even 4th?!.... phew man... that is a deal that just screams too difficult to pass up; infinitely better than giving up a second.

9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Let the games begin.....

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is basically my thoughts. Coaching is definitely partly to blame for Kenny Pickett's lackluster performance so far. Afraid to throw to the middle of the field.

I am very interested to see how things progress under a new OC. It may be refreshing.

With that said, they obviously need to add to the QB room in a big way.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny Pickett last season…
    • TD percentage 1.9%, ranked 42nd*
    • Passer rating 81.4%, ranked 33rd*
    • Big time throws 3.8 per game, ranked 25th
    • Completion pct. 62%, ranked 37th*
    • Pct. of catchable passes 82.9%, ranked 35th*
    • Avg. depth of target 7.1 yards, ranked 34th*
    • Set an NFL record for lowest TD percentage for any quarterback with more than 500 passes (that means IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL! :frustrated:)
    *In the event you may be unaware, there are only 32 teams in the National Football League.

Why in the world would any fans be bashing poor Kenny Pickett? :facepalm:

A better question is why are these coaches so obsessed with protecting Kid Gloves Kenny’s fragile ego?:shrug:

I know, it’s all Matt Canada’s fault. :rolleyes:

Might I remind those who may have forgotten that Mason Rudolph was the TOP RANKED QUARTERBACK IN THE ENTIRE NFL THE LAST MONTH OF THE SEASON!

I know, he played against sucky defenses. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Sure, that leash is short af though. He may get pulled faster than Mitch.

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Kenny doesn't turn the ball over, the Steelers running game excels and the defense is solid then after 10 games the Steelers will probably be 6-4. Even if they are winning ugly 16-14 games every week the Steelers will stay with KP unless injured. The only way he comes out of the lineup is if he starts turning the ball over or the Steelers have a losing record. He won't have a short leash no matter how unimpressive his stats are as long as the Steelers are winning.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re funny, you get defensive when people insult Rudolph and you don’t even know him! And now you question why people that actually know Kenny would be angry at the constant abuse directed at him.

I go on social media and see Pickett trending and hope to see some sort of news and it’s just more obsessive losers constantly crying about Pickett and piling on. It’s out of control. I think a lot of these “fans” I see on there will actually be hoping for him to fail, they’ll look too stupid if he turns into a good QB.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph did play poor defenses. I'm sorry that putting Rudolph's performances in an honest context bothers you so much.

What is the source of your statistics? Big-time throws is subjective. Catchable passes is subjective.

It's interesting that you avoided things like interception percentage, which I imagine would be more favorable to Pickett.

It's obvious why they coaches want to stand up for Pickett. They think he can be fixed. Bad coaching can do a lot of damage to a quarterback. Look at what happened to Russell Wilson in 2022 in Hackett's system. Notice that he rebounded nicely once he had a competent coach again. If that caused such problems for a veteran like Wilson, imagine what it did to quarterback in his first two seasons in the league.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is probably true, but if that's the way the whole season goes, I think they will start looking for their next quarterback next offseason.

18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    If Kenny is our starter in 2024 and it is obvious after the 2024 season that he is not our answer, the Steelers' decision to keep Canada after 2022 will set the Steelers back for at least 3-5 years

I mean I can't believe they are using Matt Canada as an excuse now when the Steelers had the chance to fire him during the 2022 season or later like after the 2022 season but they kept Canada for one more season because they were blindsided by our winning streak at the end of the season even though our offense hadn't scored 20 points or more in 4 of the last 6 ygames but winning 13-10 against the pathetic raiders team under Josh McDaniels was good enough for Tomlin and the steelers....All that mess could easily be avoided but they kept Canada for one more year....it's criminal!

19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    You cannot win playoff games with a crappy qb....its as simple as that. The steelers are in a division with Lamar, Burrow when healthy and even Flacco and watson are better than KP. Start Mason and let Kenny be backup. Our offense actually had a pulse with Mason and players like him better. /it will be mutiny if we start KP and he plays like he has with his first 2 years of starting.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    So you are bashing teammates for supporting a fellow teammate

Do I have this correct

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. For about 4 weeks

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What if the team is 3-1 with Pickett as the starter?

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Blast, people are blasting Kenny Pickett because of his play on the field. I tried to show you that with some factual information. I don’t agree that any personal attacks should be directed at him, but he should absolutely be fair game when it comes to his play on the field which has been well below the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    My source for the info was DK’s podcast from last Friday. And I’m sorry that you can’t recognize that Rudolph was the number one rated quarterback in the entire NFL the last month of the season. As far as his interception ratio goes, not sure how he’d rank if the ratio is to passes attempted. Probably pretty high, but when you’re rarely throwing over the middle or over the top and often checking it down without going through your progressions, that figures to be the case. His TD/INT ratio of 1.5 is at the bottom of the league. We’ll see what Kenny does with a new OC, but I continue to have serious reservations.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    No you don’t. But no one, especially coaches, should be surprised that Kenny is being soundly criticized for his play on the field. Fans have every right to expect more. I’m not saying it’s ever okay to attack him personally, but he should definitely be subject to criticism based on his play and those stats support that his play has been well below average.