1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoge: Steelers still have a strong belief in Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Starts talking about him at the 11:15 mark. Cowherd was asking him about is thoughts on Wilson coming here and he went on to explain how he doesn’t think the Steelers are going to give up on Pickett yet.

Says the best thing that happened to Pickett was getting hurt and sitting. Cue the hE dIdNT LeARn ANyThINg jokes.

Out of all the things I’ve heard this one I put the most stock in because Hoge just worked for them and Im sure he still has very good connections there. There is so much speculation flying around about other QB’s but I’d say very small chance they don’t run it back with Pickett one more year.

Khan did refuse to shoot down rumors about Fields and even went on to say there has been conversations with Chicago. He said if they got the opportunity to improve the team they would but I would think Atlanta has a better shot of landing him as they have the better seeding from Chicagos perspective. .

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    there are lies, smoke screens and outright BS that goes on in Feb and March - EVERY YEAR. Hoge is hearing what he hears - but it may not be any 'truth' Connect Khan up to a lie detector test - then MAYBE we find something out!!! But I like the game.

it will ALL SORT out soon enough.

I know you think Kenny has 'it'. many here don't.

TIME WILL TELL

Tomlin is being judged on it. His legacy continues to be tarnished - IMO - by poor player / talent / coaching evaluation.

I HOPE they are talking to CHI / Fields, Wilson, Cousins and more - I HOPE! Right player, right price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hoge has been right more than wrong. Like right 97% of the time... wrong 3% of the time.

Hoge predicted Johnny Manziel was going to flop in the NFL. Most of the sports media talking heads were anointing Johnny Football the biggest thing since Peyton Manning. :facepalm:

Hoge made Skip Bayless look like a fool. :lolol:

Hoge was right. Manziel's style of play did not translate to the NFL. Gotta be able to throw accurately and read defenses.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Right player, right price is Mason Rudolph.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well it's March and I think Free Agency starts up March 13th. This is an interesting one for the Steelers.

I know what I hope happens but it's a long shot for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Also predicted in the same year that Mack was going to have a better career that Clowney!...He was right on that too

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Wilson would be right price - and he may want to jump right into a playoff caliber team / situation

as well as the other guys out there.

other than QB, we are pretty good. ;)

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i love Hoge - wish he was our HC, all I am saying is that he was not stating his opinion on Pickett, I don't believe - he was passing on what he heard or thought the Steelers were going TO DO.

Maybe I missed it - which is entirely possible.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

what do you hope for?

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Til he throws his second INT in a game and the Steelers fans bury him. Lots of BNG fans are notorious for overreactions. I’m not giving up on Kenny Pickett yet either. At least he takes care of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The back up QB is always the fan favorite in most NFL cities.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers have a strong belief in Kenny Pickett. (Interpretation: The Steelers are still hopeful that Kenny Pickett can take the next step to becoming a competent NFL quarterback even though he made zero progress from year one to year two and actually may have regressed but since he’s a first round draft pick the Steelers are not ready to give up on him so he’ll have one more opportunity to show that he belongs before being banished to the land of misfit quarterback busts who were no. 1 draft picks). :shrug:

The Steelers are spinning this as well as they can given the circumstances but you know there has to be a little bit of panic and anxiety given Pickett’s lack of progression from year one to year two. They’d better have a very STRONG plan B in place because I’m not sold. Hope we can re-sign Mason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but this is what I bring up when people say GMs know so much more than most people. I don't know anyone that actually watched Johnny M....that didn't realize He was a backup at most. Mike Evans made J.M...., and people know I usually say the opposite....,but Mike Evans is one of those % of Wrs that will be good no matter who his Qb is.
    I can't remember how many times Johnny M....would run around in a circle, and just throw it up to Mike Evans...in double coverage, and Mike would go get it, and people would say....wow did You see that pass....LoL :facepalm:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You really should stop pretending you have any hope Pickett can turn things around. It’s so obvious LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will give KFP this....he is very competitive....so if He can get better....He will, and He must if He wants to stay the Qb. Because while KFP, and Trubisky were partying it up at Trubisky manor....Mason was working on getting better.

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Only true in Philadelphia

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I agree with hodge. But not all Qb’s that have the talent and even a competitive spirit make it. KP’s issue is durability and the slow start thanks to Canada and Tomlin. Nothing like incompetence by the coaching staff to shoot down a young qb’s confidence. But he may still recover under a better OC, we’ll see

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Half the reason I am rooting for Mason to succeed is to make Stephen A shut his hole. I don't know what Mason did to Stephen A., but the man seems to go out of his way to talk trash about Mason as often as he can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Mike Evans played for the Browns? :confused1:

You meant Josh Gordon in his prime.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i can take care of the ball, by never TRYING to throw it! LOL

Sure hope we have higher aspirations that this, in our organization

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m trying, but there’s just too much evidence to the contrary. :shrug:

I lived through the quarterbacking disaster of the 80s and Pickett feels like one of those guys to me. I remember thinking that Mark Malone was going to carry on where Terry left off. Didn’t happen. I remember being excited when we traded for Todd Blackledge. Former number one pick who hadn’t realized his potential with the Chiefs but just needed the right situation and the right coaching to turn it around. After all, he must have some talent (my thoughts at the time) because he was from the esteemed 1983 QB class and was drafted ahead of Marino. That didn’t work out too well. My hopes rose and fell with each new guy we brought in to be our quarterback between the Bradshaw and Ben years. That was a long two decades. THIS feels like THAT and HE reminds me of THEM. :facepalm:

But who knows…maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Bubby Brister was the most competitive quarterback the Steelers have had in my lifetime.

“I’m the man, write it down!” He once boasted to the press during training camp.

Agree wholeheartedly about Mason. He’s the best option they have at the moment so I hope the Steelers are able to re-sign him.

• Like Like x 1