1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Semi-Finalists

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by traceman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Donnie Shell, Dermonti Dawson, Jerome Bettis, Kevin Greene and Jack Butler

Who do you think has a legitimate shot at making it?
    I would say Shell, Dawson and Bettis. I honestly don't see Kevin Greene in the HOF and I don't know enough about Butler.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Bettis should be a shoe in this time....but I think I thought that last time as well

3. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dawson changed how the position was played. Shell has 4 sb rings, most career INTs for his position, and also changed his position. Because of him they actually changed rules to the game. Bettis is what, 5th on all time rushing yrds list?

Bettis and Dawson should get in. Shell should already be in. That is a travesity inof itself.

Greene, was good, but imo, but not hall worthy. If Shell can't get in, Greene doesn't even get an invitation. It raises the whole "to many Steelers in the hall already" debate. The bar is extremely high for any Steeler trying to get in just because there are so many already there.

Not sure about Butler, way before my time.

4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I really hope Kevin Greene gets it. He's one of my favorite Steeler linebackers, even if it was for a short time.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dawson before Bettis.

6. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Bettis and Dawson, bettis showed the toughness of the Steeler O even in the lean times. Dawson of course was the one of the best Centers of all time.
    :flag:

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #3 sacks all time? Kevin Greene most definitely!!!!

8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The Hall should just get over their whole "There's too many Steelers in the Hall" hate and induct all of them.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed. Shell as well.

Also agree that while Kevin Greene was a monster on the field - there are others before him on the list. Had we won XXX, maybe a different story.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I used to love watching Greene play. He was an animal. However, I don't see him getting in the hall of fame anytime soon. Donnie S(Bad Word) is a definite yes, or oughta be. Dawson as well. Bettis will definitely have his day, but I don't think it will be this time around.

11. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Bettis also changed the way the game was played. You just don't see big backs do it for as long as he did it in this day and age. The average RB shelf life is like 4 years and big backs are usually in their prime for less than that. Bus did it for over a decade and plus he has a ring. He had a tough first ballot with Faulk on there too but I think he should be in this year

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nice. I've become so conditioned to this that I didn't see it the first time.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Nice catch. :-D

14. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Bettis was one of the few backs who could carry a team on his back in the fourth quarter and he accounted for many of the Steeler wins.

Jack Butler not only was an outstanding player but he founded the Blesto V Organization. This scouting group really helped the Steelers get the players that accounted for their success.

15. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bettis will probably get in. Unfortunately, Dawson will have to wait. It is difficult for offensive linemen to get in, period. Since they are not in the headlines, it is often difficult for voters to remember their play and hence check off on their name.

Bettis and Dawson both deserve to get in.

As for Shell, he is deserving but in his case, he is up against the wall of ex-Steelers. I loved Shell and he has the credentials to get in but it won't happen due to the fact that there are already a bunch of his teammates in. As the years roll on, his play becomes obscured to those outside of Pittsburgh. So, although he is worthy, he won't get in.

rutan

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out! :lol:

Kevin Greene was one of the very best pass rushers of all time. Most sacks by any linebacker by far and #3 all time. He is a legit contender, although he might not have been as complete as some other guys. I think he deserves to make it in, but not before guys who should be first balloters like Dawson and Cris Carter. I think playing for so many different teams also hurts him, as well as never winning the big one (hardly an OLB's fault). I'll be happy if he makes it in 5 or 10 years from now.

And who says he'll go in as a Steeler? Does anybody know that for sure?

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:
    Great post Mike!! 100% correct! Could not have said it better!!

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Greene would go in as a Ram though right? :herewego:

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt realize shell was not in. how in world is he not? was he a casualty of the two many players on that team not getting in? I dont think greenwood ever got in did he? donnie shell is a top saftey all time in my opinion. I dont think kevin greene is a sure thing by no means. bettis is.

20. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    It`s already been said, but , because it bugs the hell outta me... I will say it again...
    Donnie Shell shoulda been in the hall years ago!!! :frustrated: He hit people as hard as Mel Blount( a cornerbak), did!!!
    What more could Bettis do, to prove he was one of the BEST RUNNING BACKS OF ALL TIME!!!!???(Time to make the doughnuts...)
    And... Dermonttii(sp) Dawson?!?! How many people coulda came in after the "Original Iron Mike" Webster, and upheld the Steelers legacy at center?!????
    I am so pissed off, at what I see as a conspiracy to keep Steelers outta the Hall, that I can`t even think straight...
    Just because a bunch of them are there already...
    So what?!?!?!?
    You SHOULD judge each player on their own merits!
    And how could you NOT say Bettis, Shell, Dawson, etc. don`t deserve to be there?
    Someday, this will haunt Ward, Ben, Heath, Pouncey(potentially), And all of our LBS, too...
    There are still members of the 70`s teams that aren`t in there, just because "there are too many Steelers"...
    I don`t usually subscribe to "conspiracy theories"...
    And as much as I love Kevin Greene, I, wouldn`t pimp him for H.O.F.....
    But,... Gildon, Kirkland, Greg Lloyd(sp, again, #95), maybe Joey Porter....
    Etc... they ALL have to compete with the Steelers, that are already in the hall...
    That`s not fair!...
    I know, life is not fair, but Damnit, If these guys had played for any other team, they would be a shoo in...
    I will qwit my bitchin now... but there are a WHOLE lot of ex-Steelers who I think deserve to be in the Hall, and would be... If they played for another team... :?

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I have to disagree with you there. Kevin Greene, when you take his whole career into factor, deserves to be in the HoF (or at least merits consideration). None of those other 4 have resumes worthy of the Hall. Maybe Lloyd would have if not for a staph infection that aged him and slowed him far faster than he deserved. But as it stands? No.

22. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yeah now way ge goes in as a Steeler. He played here 2 years.

23. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What about LC Greenwood?...this is such crap

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Anyone who once wore the Black and Gold should make it. Anyone who never wore the Black and Gold, maybe next year. Homer glasses? Yes, but hey, why not?