1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

History of the Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by blitz_burgh, Sep 25, 2017.

1. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    This is not political but with everything going on with the national anthem and the Steelers staying in the locker room yesterday I thought people should know what they are standing, singing, kneeling or sitting for. Regardless of your view spend the 11 minutes and watch this video to know the history of the anthem and understand it.

"Any fool can know, the point is to understand"
    - Albert Einstein

• Like Like x 4
  2. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Redirected to the watercolor forum? Steelers decided to stay in the tunnel, steelers are splashed all over the national news regarding this and many Steeler fans have opinions on this topic. So in my opinion this should be in the Steelers Forum not the watercolor. You'd think that you would want your members to be knowledgeable on things that are affecting the Steelers.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    They should play that video every time those dirt bags kneel

4. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I kneel for God and stand for the flag! non political nor rocket science. :flag:

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I get the point of the video. But this doesn't tell the whole story. It definitely doesn't cover the reason behind the protesting.

6. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    That is a very inspirational video and nearly factually correct. Please go to google and search the original lyrics to the song which was changed due to the 3rd verse. If you read it you will understand that things were not so glorious for all people.

7. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    The 3rd verse was never changed. It was removed from sheet music during World War I. The entire Star Spangled Banner honors the heroes that defended Fort McHenry both Whites AND Blacks.

The middle two verses vilify the British enemy in the War of 1812. When Key says "hirelings and slaves" he is talking about both whites and blacks, British professional soldiers (hirelings) but also the Corps of Colonial Marines (slaves). He vehemently viewed these people as scoundrels and traitors and when relocated after the war could cause a national insurrection.

The graphic language of Key's denunciation of this British enemy led to the removal of Verse 3 in sheet music editions of the song in World War I, when the United States and Britain became staunch allies