1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 20, 2024.

1. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I won't be mad injuries are part of football.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    if you saw the destructive bone crunching hits of yester---year you would see real football

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Letting players run by him and then tackle them. That's the only way Deion Sanders ever tackled anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Come on now, he wasn't know for being physical, but it wasn't like that. Guys barely ran past him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I watched him play a lot of football. That is my opinion.

It is common knowledge. Even Troy Aikman roasted him about it on national television.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/aikman-deion-was-a-crummy-tackler/1884576/

Sanders even told people that he made "business decisions' when a big back was running towards him. That's the definition of a guy that doesn't like to tackle and actively tried to avoid direct contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I prefer 70’d Steeler football. Smash mouth.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ever time I read the OP I read hip hop tackle

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I'm less concerned with this than I am with the talk about changing the intentional grounding rule. But they should leave the tackle alone.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it passed , they voted and it was banned

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Unreal

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    These refs need less ambiguity, not more. There is already way too much focus on the refs and their calls. This will just add to the crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    We're getting closer and closer to Sarcastaball.

Looks like Trey Parker and Matt Stone nailed another vision.

Maybe the only legal way to tackle by 2026 will be to ask the opposiing ball carrier...nicely, if they wouldn't mind going to the ground now. Or maybe proximity tackle? If you get withing a 2 yard radius, ball-carrier is considered tackled. NT then becomes the priority first round draft pick, blowing up the snap and getting within two yards of the QB if under center. Shotgun is used exclusively moving foward. NT loses its luster. DC's rush/blitz 6 players every snap gunning for the proximity tackle (OL are no longer allowed to touch defensive players for safety reasons).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcastaball

"When Randy Marsh learns that kickoffs have been banned from elementary school football due to fears of serious injury, he protests this at a PTA meeting, and sarcastically suggests implementing a ridiculously safe and emasculating new game called Sarcastaball, in which the boys wear bras and tinfoil hats, use a balloon instead of a ball, and give hugs and compliments to the opposing team instead of tackling them. Despite the sarcastic tone with which Randy makes this statement (and with which he speaks almost exclusively throughout the episode), the PTA takes this idea literally, and implements it, making Randy coach of the South Park Elementary team."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Besides the absurdity of basically banning tackling this is going to be a cluster**** next season trying to officiate this.

They should just review the games and hand out fines afterwards and let players work it out of their tackling themselves. This is going to seriously affect the outcome of games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    lots of :rules: on the :steelflag: coming up ---other teams not so much:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    WHOS READY FOR THE NFL TO BE THE NBA?!?!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE ON THIS EXCITING EPISODE OF "NO FUN LEAGUE!!"

*Sponsered by all 32 Billionaires of the National Football League*

• Like Like x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    F and F. Flag and a FINE! Again punishing the Defensive side of the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    On a more serious note, seems that Running Backs got quite the proverbial Christmas present; doubly so for the likes of Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey and Bijian Robinson... to name a few. Najee Harris as well lest I forget. Regarding WR speedsters?!....

Man... gonna be even harder to catch those guys.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Which is the entire point.

Oh, you thought it was about player safety? :roflmao:

The league has been putting their thumb heavier and heavier on the scale for several years now. This is just one more tool to do it. EVERY tackle can be called a hip drop if you want to. You initiated head on? Runner still got by you. Now, your weight is pulling him down from behind. FLAG. It's impossible to tackle from behind cleanly by the vagueness of the rule. They even put out an example video of what is considered illegal, and over half of the examples are just... tackles. It's even more maddening since they WANT you to wrap up the ball carrier and pull him down. They legislated most big hits out of the game. And now even doing that is too rough for these primadonnas.

So, are you playing for the wrong team that day? Expect to be flagged. Or, conversely, if you're a ball carrier for the wrong team, you will NOT get the flag. Just like how some QBs get the kid gloves treatment, while others can be broken in half, shot, punched in the face, knees blown out, and the refs saw nothing.

But don't worry guys! You can challenge certain fouls now in the ends of the halfs! (Like refs will EVER reverse their call. :rolleyes:)

Why even bother playing defense at this point? Goodell won't be happy until we're seeing NBA scores.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I appear to be in the minority here but I’m glad they eliminated hip hop from football

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  20. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I love the NFL's BS "data" that it is citing that this tackle leads to injury at a rate of 25 times as much as other tackles. This is a classic example of starting with a conclusion and then mining data that supports your conclusion.

Ask yourself how they came up with this 25x number. Did they go back and look at every tackle for a season and determine which ones met this criteria and then see if any resulted in injury? Doubtful. It's much more likely they looked at plays where an injury happened and then attributed some of them to the hip drop tackle they wanted banned.

21. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i guess, it has always looked like terrible tackling techique, to me. i probably am in the minority, tho.

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I wonder if Watt can make the adjustment to avoid penalties.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It wasn't a common method in the past because they have taken most of the common methods away.
    Again.....I repeat....Who was being resuscitated on the field for a hit??? It wasn't a Offensive player from getting hit by a Defensive player....it was a Defensive player from getting hit by a Offensive player.....yet they let that same hit from Offensive players go all day ....every day... without flags, or changing the rules...it's not about safety.....it's about the score board..., and keeping the casual fan happy.

• Like Like x 2
  24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the first play that came to my mind. Burfict was without a doubt the dirtiest player in recent history. I still remember watching him in the pile trying to break Cam Newton’s ankle by twisting it. He should have been thrown out of the league right then and there. Glad he is gone.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

All the more reason Amarius Mims needs to be the First Pick for the Steelers. He or Latham. Take your pick. Both are stellar Right Tackles that can come in and contribute right away.

Gone are the days of the No Fly Zone Broncos, Leigon Of Boom Seahawks, 85 Bears and the Steel Curtain. Those days are over. To that end, guess what the Steelers should do?!

Take a page from Chuck Nolls 1978 Team; adjust your Offense to maximize the rule changes. Hip drop tackles are banned?! Nab an Offensive Lineman and turn back the clock for some throwback Smashmouth Football.

• Like Like x 1