1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward to be released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by domaug, Feb 29, 2012.

1. bbabba

bbabba New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I know the steelers are known for not retiring the great ones numbers, but I really hope no one wears 86 again in a long time.

2. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    the $925,000 4th-string qb/emergency wr.

perhaps you're more suited to playing that guitar than making personnel decisions :rawk:

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ward said he loves Steeler Nation and will Always Bleed Black-n-Gold. He knew today was coming. We knew today was coming.

He is what a Steeler should be. He was a Great Blocker, Had great Hands, Ran Great rtes and knew when to be where. Great teammate and Leader. Problem is after 14 years he just doesn't have any speed left at all. In the end a WR needs to be able to get off the line of scrimmage and have some moves left, especially if you're not a STer.

Thank You Hines, We Love you man!!!!!!!!

Cajun-

4. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tried to post all day yesterday. Cdnt for some reason. It was rough finding out my favorite player of all time wass released. Not unexpected but it still blows. Nothing but respect and love for #86 no matter what he does. I'll be in the front row in Canton WHEN he gets in!!

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

They did let him finish his career here, last January. What do you think the charity tosses to get to 1000 were?
    Hines could retire here. He just has to do it now.

That he doesn't want to is not the front offices fault.

6. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I am so SAD and DISAPPOINTED and DISGUSTED with the Rooneys right now that I may not even follow the team this year. You have it right, SteelerGlenn when you say this is heartless. Well, I hope the Rooneys are happy with their decision because no true Steeler fan is. The Chief is probably wishing he could come back and knock some sense in them. Have they ever heard of compassion? Doesn't look like it. I could just sit and cry. It makes me ill.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what ? we are still late of some of these cuts . see smith . what we have suppose to do ? pay hines 4 milion or 3 ( what was the paycut he was willing to take),and don't have the money to sign younger people that perform ? .i love hines aaron like was faneca and porter but when you are not helping the team you can't be on the roster , in the heart yes in the roster no

8. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I'm not saying to pay him 3 or 4 mil.....he has stated MANY times that he would take a pay cut, do whatever he had to do to stay with the team. My biggest disappointment is that it appears they didn't even TRY!!!!!! Sad.

9. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011

Really?!?! You're right Hines should be grateful for that half ass attempt they did for him this season to reach 1000. He should especially be grateful for that great shovel pass that got him 1000 and a whopping -2 yards. They've done everything in their power to force him out this season. I am not saying he is our #1 or #2 receiver nor would I want him to be with our young talented receivers. My point is just he deserves better than what this organization is doing to him.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    How is it heartless, you act like these guys aren't paid for what they do. This is a business and will be run like one. Steelers do not owe Hines anything and I've always been a huge Hines fan and supporter.

11. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    You are correct, sir.

12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    there are some weird posts on this thread.

dramatic.

didn't somebody post that 'leave britney alone!!!' video on here the other day? nice call. that's definitely what a lot of these posts remind me of.

13. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I was referring to Romeo being correct, not troybellringer

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Funny they don't owe him anything yet he was still under contract that both him and the Steelers agreed on. Wish we could just tear up contracts we don't like in real life.

15. romeo863603

Nov 4, 2011
    That's right and I'll claw your freaking eyes out too lmao

16. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Hines will be missed by all of us, but he'll be fine...it could always be worse:

[youtube:30ioq6as]Qr2EF362Q0k[/youtube:30ioq6as]

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed money, which why you see such large signing bonuses. I'm sad Hines is gone, but the Steelers looked at it, and figured it was not worth of their investment for the amount of money Hines was due to make. If Hines comes in and says I'll play for a million and cut my pay, then I'd be mad that the Steelers didn't keep, all he did is what several other players have already done which is restructre their contract. Paying 4 million for a 4th string WR who can't play special teams would be a waste.

18. romeo863603

Nov 4, 2011

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... cut_option

19. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Dixon is an UFA. Cant trade someone that isn't unofficially on the team anymore.

Actually.. The only QB that currently has a contract is Big Ben.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What about Troy Smith?

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    See, this is where it gets frustrating. How do we know they didn't try? That's just projection. And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to the result.

As it is, from one report, it seemed like it was a coaches decision that he wasn't good enough to play on the current roster.

22. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He was signed to a futures contract on January 20, 2012. He isn't on the team until the season officially starts. Plus, I think he is just an extra arm for the off-season/camps.

23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Didn't realise he was on a futures contract. In fact, didn't realise such things existed until now. Cheers for the info.