1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward to be released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by domaug, Feb 29, 2012.

1. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm really not surprised but I'm very saddened by this move. That said, I appreciate why it was done. It just started sinking it that I won't get to see his smiling face on the field anymore...

I would love nothing more than to see him on the sidelines as a coach!

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They should just sign Wallace and draft a young WR who can also play special teams...

We don't need a 10 year vet in Cotchery being our 4th receiver, who will want multiple millions...to me that is just crazy.

3. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011

You're acting as this man is worthless smh....... It's not just what he does on the field it's what he does off it as well. He was one of our leaders. He was helping our younger guys develop. With all the questions surrounding our receivers. Why wouldn't you keep a vet like him??? It's crazy how you have an off year (which wasn't totally his fault not having a off season, training camp, being phased out of the game plan so on and so forth) Some are quick to cut him. Some forget that he has been here through thick and thin. It hasn't always been sunshine and roses here. I for one believe he deserved better

4. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i never said he was "worthLESS". but he is worth LESS than what we would be REQUIRED to pay him. in a different world, he may very well accept a $500k contract to play another season and we MIGHT have considered that. BUT . . . we're in a salary cap era with RULES. those RULES require us (and any other team) to pay him $925,000. he is not WORTH that. no fourth or fifth receiver in the league that doesn't pay special teams is worth that. people seem to think other teams will greet hines with arms wide open. THIS is what us, and every other team, is looking at. hines ward is not worth what he used to be.

5. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We paid Colon 5.5 million to be injured for the entire season and Smith 3 million for being hurt for three seasons in a row, and we are arguing that 1 million for a receiver that started for us in the Super Bowl a year ago is too much? You guys are a few degrees lower than crazy, I just dont want to say the word because I dont want to be banned.

6. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it's the money, I think it has to do with the roster. In todays NFL every spot is so important.

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Open your eyes, this move had absolutely nothing to do w/ money. They didn't want to use the roster spot on a WR they felt wouldn't contribute.

8. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    did you live under power lines as a kid?

you think the front office should have predicted that colon and smith were going to be injured? am i reading that right?

maybe we should just take the $925,000 we would have to pay hines and invest in a crystal ball.

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Posted in another thread, but I'm repeating it here too.

Just a quick note:

It's an emotional day. But let's try not to let those emotions spill over into personal attacks or insults. :) For many people, this feels like a death in the family, and they may go a tad overboard in their reactions. Take everything with a grain of salt.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Colin Cowherd is referring to over re-acting Steeler fans on the message board.....I wonder what board he is looking at?

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This. For me it will be a sad day if they let Smith go as well. These are two players I will always think of as the embodiment of what the Steelers are. While the rationale mind understands the business side of it the emotional side leaves me struggling to articulate how I feel. I will say I am getting kinda ticked off at all the "kick in the nards, get over it, dose of reality" and could go without it at least for today.

12. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    if a kid calls an entire board "crazy" and has other names he'd like to call them but won't for fear of being banned . . . he's asking for a few 'light jabs' in his direction.

13. romeo863603

Nov 4, 2011
    :amen:

I am not going to pretend I have the slightest clue what happen behind closed doors. But what I do know is that he said he wanted to end his career here. Why not let him finish. It's not like he was a 100+ reception receiver year in and year out. I believe he only did that once in his 14 years. It's everything else he did. He's never been the fastest or the tallest but he's always had heart, toughness, leadership, and loyalty. I can't believe some steeler fans can't see how it's wrong what they are doing to him. Yet other fans from other teams feel the same way as some of us do.

14. Jaxsteeler

Jaxsteeler Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Romeo I agree with you 100%. I respectfully disagree that Hines Ward is not worth 925,000.00 per year especially considering what we pay some other people on this team. The man has one bad year after 14 good to great years and all of the sudden he isn't worth a salary of less than 1 million? He isn't good enough to play out his contract in the city that he has represented for his entire career? This man is the face of the Steelers. He epitomizes everything the team and city stands for. Toughness, attitude, will to win. He has been there thru the bad times as someone we could cheer for. I am an old man and there have been some really bad times thru the past 15 years. Yes, this is a business and this is not only a bad move loyalty-wise, it is a bad descision business wise. His leadership on and off the field alone is worth his salary which is miniscule given current NFL salaries. Ok I am done whining like a 12 year old girl. I am just gonna put on my black #86 armband,light a candle and mourn for the next 40 days and nights. Thanks for letting me vent.

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    My comment goes both ways. :)

Edit for more clarification:

More often than not, I let those kinds of comments slide. It's part of the nature of sports talk and trash talk. But when it's obvious nerves are raw, I'm inclined to try to douse the flames a bit. I'm certainly not innocent in going overboard or having a cutting remark now and then. I'm not pointing fingers or tsk tsking anyone. Just trying to keep the peace a bit on a day when many are in mourning.

16. steelerdon

steelerdon Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
  17. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    i'm not nineteen, i'm thirty-nine. i know what it was like, when i was much younger, to have your favorite players leave. believe it or not, i was really upset when bubby brister was benched in favor of neil o'donnell. ha! whatever. i was 19. i was upset they hired bill cowher because i wanted mean joe greene. ha! again, i was 19. i was crushed when carnell lake was let go and i was about 25 then. and carnell has only meant a fraction to this organization of what hines has meant. but with age, comes a better understanding of the 'big picture.'

at the age of 39, even though i'm way more emotionally invested in this team than i should be, i believe i'm more tolerant, patient, and understanding of this aspect of the BUSINESS (i mean, 'game'). i can only guess that most of the people around here that are on suicide watch are . . . well, a bit younger. and most of the guys that are more level-headed on this topic are probably old pharts like myself.

i've also had the unfortunate experience of rubbing shoulders with a lot of professional athletes. and i've had the often unfortunate experience of meeting a lot of our famous steelers. as cyndi lauper once said on celebrity apprentice (which i've only seen like twenty minutes of, but happened to catch this comment), "never meet your idols. you're only going to be disappointed." after being around hines on many occasions, i can tell you this: hines ward doesn't like to interact with fans. he absolutely hates doing autograph shows (same with most of our favorite steelers). he really isn't the smiling guy out in the public that he is on the field. it is what it is. most professional athletes are the same way. the public is more of a burden than anything else -- except for game day.

hines ward will be okay. he's been treated like a king for most of his lifetime. he's made millions. he's loved by tens of millions. he gave us a lot and was fairly compensated for it. the time has come to part ways. our team will be better, in the long run, because of it. if the niners can part ways with jerry rice (and let him go across the bay to oakland of all places!), then i think that there can be a time for hines ward to leave the pittsburgh steelers too. and, unfortunately, that time is now.

18. romeo863603

Nov 4, 2011

I don't believe he called the "entire" board crazy. Ward averaged 15+ games a year. I understood what he was trying to say. We are willing to pay guys that can't play an entire season and yet we can't pay him a freaking 1 million. :frustrated: :frustrated: It truely is a sad day

19. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not the money, it's a roster spot. We need depth.

20. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    you're right. just the non-crazy ones.

21. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Emperor just told Vader about Hines...

[youtube:2d17b9nf]WWaLxFIVX1s[/youtube:2d17b9nf]

22. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ain’t no sunshine when he’s gone
    And this house just ain’t no home
    Ain’t no sunshine when he’s gone
    Now that Hines is gone away

Got me singin’ da blues. I’ll miss you Mr. Sunshine.

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    If he chooses to keep playing, that's the one place he could go that I could live with. At least he'd be finishing out his career with a few friends.

The thought of seeing him in orange and black, or black and purple... :sick: :swoon: :kapow:[/quote:11er8unc]

Agreed

24. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I think regardless of what you hear money was at least part of it. Scheduled to make 4+ mil this year and they could only lower it so far/etc.

25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get rid of Dixon, trade him for picks or whatever.
    If the Steelers are down to the 4th QB they are in trouble anyway, or just play your starter with a cast on his leg.

Make Ward the 4th QB. He will also be an emergency receiver.