1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward to be released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by domaug, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you know if he was even offered any contract at all from the Steelers if he goes elsewhere?
    I get the impression that they simply don`t want him back.(As hard as that is for me to believe.)
    I thought it was just Arians, that didn`t want to use him, but now that he is gone, if they don`t offer him a contract at vet minimum, I have to believe that they just don`t want him.
    Who "they" is, is what I am wondering... Tomlin? Rooney? Wide recievers coach? Haley?...
    Just doesn`t make sense to me...
    Even if he is getting slower, more injury prone... whatever,
    And I will admit I saw him drop a few balls this year that I would not have expected, but...
    the same is true for Heath...
    And he is certainly not "old/washed up"...
    Even without the speed, one of Hines`s best attributes was heart. Fighting for the yards after catch, or to get the first down, or the score...
    And I don`t believe he is lacking that all of a sudden. ;)

2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Surely the team has some indication that Wallace or Jerricho will sign with them now. If not, and they lose both, there's no way they can go begging Hines to come back.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Re: Hines Ward wasn't offered to take a pay cut

You could have just put this in the Hines thread. And whats this statement of yours based on? Any proof to back it up?

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Re: Hines Ward wasn't offered to take a pay cut

Can't wait to hear this.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Let the anger/disappointment go away and then come back and post, haha. This is just a dumb statement.

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I don't think its that far off. Mom just called and said most all of Pittsburgh is pretty disgusted right now.

Unfortunately I continue to believe he will end up a Raven. They will do everything in their power to bring his talents there. They love that tough attitude that he represents.

7. stlrs1fan

stlrs1fan Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Let the anger/disappointment go away and then come back and post, haha. This is just a dumb statement.[/qu And who made u the message board police and tell somebody how they should or should not feel. I guess only u r allowed to have an opinion.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Disappointed and somewhat surprised but having seen vets like Woodson, Lloyd, Greene etc. leave I realize it's just part of the game. It won't be the same out there without #86.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't see that happening. I know you guys have watched Hines the past season. He is done and needs to retire. Fumbles in the red zone, losing a step (or two) unable to protect himself and getting the crap knocked out of him. Seriously, the game has passed Hines by and it is time to hang up the cleats HW.

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    See you're still all "emotional" or whatever...taking it personally...wow...relax...jeeez...some people, ya can't say anything to they always take it personally/etc. Chill.

11. stlrs1fan

stlrs1fan Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess I did something wrong and my quote didn't post correct but this is my quote to gpguy: And who made u the message board police and tell somebody how they should or should not feel. I guess only u r allowed to have an opinion. I really don't need u to tell me when to come on here and post. I thought this was a message board for everybody and not just for somebody who agrees with you

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just read a good article on espn. I forgot all the receivers who finished their careers with another team. Jerry Rice, Tim brown, and and art monk are just a few. Hines will play one more year somewhere and catch 10 or 12 balls. The steelers had no choice, you can't pay a fifth we that kind of money and we don't know how much of a cut he was willing to take. I will just remember the career he had which was special

13. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No one and I mean no one should be surprised by this.

It is business, period. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Look back at Franco. I remember it well. Just a few hundred yards short of the all time rushing record and the Steelers fought with him over a couple of thousand dollars.

It is business.

Despite what many wish to believe, the Rooney's own the Steelers as a business. They are not in it to be nice guys or to make sure Pittsburgh has a team. They are in it just like any other business owner, and that is to make money. Unfortunately many feel that the Rooney's are different and that may be so in the way they run the organization, but the bottom line is still the bottom line.

Hines is a multi, multi, multi millionaire. He got paid a lot of money and in return, he gave the Steelers 100 percent, so when the rubber meets the road, the Steelers don't owe him a thing.

Now, would it be nice to keep him? Certainly, but at what cost to the ends? They have serious cap problems not to mention they are trying to rebuild an aged team.

14 years is a long career in the NFL and equally long for a wideout. Hines certainly knew there was a distinct possibility that he would be let go, so this is not and should not be a total shock.

Most of us in here want him to exit as a Steeler, and I have news, he is. Hines needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and make a decision to attempt to play on or just shut it down. One must consider what it will feel like if no one picks him up which is a distinct possibility.

I'm sad to see him go, but all good things do come to an eventual end. And who knows, maybe they release him and then resign him for the minimum. At this point we do not know.

rutan

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    What a punch to the gut to see just as I get home from work. :cry:

Not that we didn't kind of see this coming, but it still hurts. I can't help but be sentimental about the guy. He was the epitome of Steeler football for a very long time. To some guys just able to start legally drinking, he's been a Steeler most of their lives. I'm much older, but even I felt like he was here forever.

It hurt to see him lose more than a step. It hurt to see him get old. It hurt to see him get demoted even if it was the right call. And now it hurts to see him get the last call to the office.

I'm going to miss him a great deal. I'm not sure we'll ever see his like again. Oh, there'll be a tough WR sooner or later. Antonio Brown brings joy and enthusiasm somewhat like Hines' beaming smile. But his total package? They're once a generation type players.

Maybe they'll resign him at vet minimum down the road for one last hurrah. But until that happens, we may as well mourn now.

Thanks for the passion, the drive, and all of the wonderful memories, Hines. We all love you. :yeehaw: :herewego: :towel:

15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This.

I bet he would have retired if we won the SB two years ago. He is the only one who can decide if he wants to retire as a Steeler.

16. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I know it's a 'business' decision, but dadgum...Hines Wizzle was 'family.' Ugh. Pretty friggin' disappointed right now.

17. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :sick:

Knew this day was coming but it still sucks. I hope he feels the same and it doesn't tarnish his time spent here. Hate to see him leave on a sour note, like Faneca.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I felt that they didn't have to keep him on the final roster for next year, but he at least deserved a chance to fight for a spot in camp.

How often does a 4th receiver play anyways? You could have gotten Hines for Cheap. I hope they don't overpay just to see Cotchery sit the bench most of they year.

20. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Sad day but a happy day too... he is a great Steeler.

Age still hasnt lost a battle.

21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get rid of Dixon if they are not going to use him and put Ward as the 4th QB.

22. gharrison92

gharrison92 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Sad day for our Steeler Nation. Hine's was definitely a class act. I will miss that smile but will still wear his jeresy with pride!

23. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Anyone saying they think he will play for the Ravens, I just don't see it. He just may be the most hated man in Baltimore.

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I've said this for months now: Players such as Ward, like Bettis and Franco before them need to retire Steelers.

They should have made this happen. Money can be moved around too easily today so it wasn't money. It was the reality of the league and a sacred roster spot. I get it. No matter, you find a way for the likes of Ward. Didn't they learn from Franco?

Also, i agree with keeping Cotchery, but also Ward. Bite the bullet on that one. Sheesh. People keep justifying it be saying how his game had slipped. Maybe so, but it was like one solitary season before that he was still a crucial and vital part of our game. He has a lot of game left and a lot of blocks to throw. He catches the ball short of 1st and goal or endzone and there is nothing in today's NFL keeping him out. TODAY!

However, sadly, this will end like most legends, with a whimper and not a bang. YOU WILL SEE HIM IN A DIFFERENT UNIFORM THIS SEASON. Accept that now. He will fade away though, bit by bit, within a season or two, then off to TV until finally the hall.

Knew he wasn't ready to hang it up and coach, or something along those line so that made it hard on the FO, I'm sure.

It is indeed, a sad sad day in Steeler country.

25. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011
    WOW!!!! I just found out the news and am in total shock :cry: . I understand that he might not be the player that he once was but to not even bring him back for the vet min. wow...... 14 great years and to crap on him like this is so disgusting. This man is "FAMILY" and at least where I'm from you don't do this to family. And for those that want to call this a business all I have to say is :bscow: Where is the loyalty??? Where is the love?? Guys like Ward aren't suppose to finish their careers with other teams. I feel like Ward is being treated like clipper darrell after years of loyalty the team turns around and craps on him SMH....

Sorry but I just needed to vent. I have always loved this team and always will. I am just very disappointed on how this is all turning out. Ward deserved to finish his career here and I don't mean bringing him back for a day so he can retire :(