1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward to be released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by domaug, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :goodpost: :-D

2. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Breaking up ain't easy :cry: :( :cry:

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't around to see the greats in the 70's go to other teams, so maybe this one hurts so bad because it's the first time I've seen a true Steeler player leave like this. I also don't believe Ward is done, I just don't think he fit in under Arians system. Ward will always be my favourite player

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not down with all the salary cap stuff. How does this save money as opposed to restructuring?

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Glenn...I know its tough and sucks...but we all saw it coming.

Knox...yay someone kinda agrees with me on this!

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers did the right thing Ward would be the 4th or 5th receiver next season and he can't play special teams. It's time to move on Ward can only run like 5 yard routes he would catch that bubble screen and still lose yardage. We all knew this was coming that's why the Steelers made sure he got his 1000 receptions because they knew they weren't bringing him back.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    It just depends on how his specific contract is setup. Whats guaranteed, whats not and so on. Its hard to tell....but it has been possible with some teams and certain players.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This sucks. Eventhough we knew this was coming when it actually happens it still just hurts bad. I just hope that he doesn't go to the Ravens. I feel like this diminshes our rivalry with the Ravens because Hines was the guy on offense that went looking for those rejects just so he could lay somebody out. Hines we will miss you dearly dude!

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Here's what Hines had to say on his FB account ( http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward ):

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season. - HINES"

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If their plan was to resign him you would think they would have put that out there.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope he plays on a team that plays the Steelers in Pittsburgh this upcoming year (not anyone in our division though) so the fans can give him a standing ovation.

12. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Agreed

13. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I am glad they let him go. There is no way he is worth what will be owed to him.

I believe that he needed to be let go to restructure his contract.

If he comes back for a fair salary we will all find out if he is a true steeler or a guy that stayed on a good team.

He is good and I hope he comes back.

He has not been perfect: held out for a larger salary, run at the mouth about Ben, and got a DUI. He is now slow (speed is critical), he has wear and tear, and he is a fourth or fifth string receiver deservedly.

The steelers owe him nothing; they made him a rich man.

Again, I hope he comes back at a fair salary, but if he is not humble enough to come back then he will not be missed by me. Bettis knew where he was in his career; he took a pay cut and came back as a change up and back up back = true steeler.

14. HinesCrackback

HinesCrackback Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sad but inevitable....won't really hit me until I see him running around the field in another uniform. Hope Ike has his head on swivel.

:-(

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to be resigned.

16. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    if you could only stay young forever. :-( :( :cry: :wave:
    [​IMG]

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Your second sentence says it all. "what we owe him"

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll second that :good:

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Somehow, my Quoting got messed up...

This part is from 322 Steeler fan...

20. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I refuse to believe he will play elsewhere. If he bleeds black n gold like he says, he'll stay. Unless we just don't have the room for him anymore. I don't wanna read too much into his statement.

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in ARIZONA, this upcoming season. - HINES"

21. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If he comes back for a fair salary he is a true steeler.

If he goes after a larger contract; he is a guy that stayed on a good team.

A certain level of speed is required to be any receiver. He was fast enough before; he is getting to the point of being too slow.

I hope he comes back to be #4, #5, or a situational receiver. He also does not play special teams but should. Being humble is part of being a good person.

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If you read rooneys statement you get the impression that he will not be back. I kinda think they tried to restructure and could not agree.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hines Ward wasn't offered to take a pay cut

The decision was solely based on his inability to play at a high level.

24. stlrs1fan

stlrs1fan Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am very disappointed in the Steelers organization. I always believed they were different but it looks like I am wrong about that

25. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I love Hines too but if he came back next season his role wouldn't be any different than it was in 2011. Today should've been a retirement celebration, not a release announcement. He can't run anymore. Once again, the organization made the right decision. I would be surprised if he hooked on somewhere else. Thank you Hines, you are one of the best!