1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward to be released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by domaug, Feb 29, 2012.

1. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    According to Adam Schefter's facebook page... :(

"End of an era: Steelers will release Hines Ward."

sad. he's among the great Steelers players of all time. he should be in the Hall of Fame within the next several years if he retires from this.

2. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sad. Any chance they resign him to the Vet minimum after they see how the draft and free agency goes?

3. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    According to NFL.com he will be released by March.13/2012.

He wasn't the same guy after dancing with the stars anyway. However, goodluck to him in the future.

4. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sad sad day! Complete bull****! Your going to keep Hampton & release Hines? We will be losing a true STEELER!! :frustrated: :frustrated: :thumbsdown:

5. Agnybo

Agnybo Member

Oct 25, 2011
  6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 1e6766736a

Wow...wonder if they was to sign him back at a lower rate? If that would save more money? Hmmm. Sad indeed...and shocking (not completely but still). Thanks for EVERYTHING Hines...one of the greatest Steelers of all time....would love him back as a WR coach.

7. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is the worst part of the business end of football. I don't see why there can't be some kind of exemption for a player that has the years in with one team and is a year or two from hanging up the cleats. If the team wants to keep that kind of player with one team for over 10 years and was drafted by that team the cap should not count against his salary. It's just good for football!

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Kind of shocked that they released him - would have thought they might have arranged more of a retirement or something.

Not an "Arians retirement", obviously.

I wonder if he'll look elsewhere?

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Complete bull****! We lose a guy like this who could still be a serious threat in the middle of the field and Colbert wants to keep a heartless bum like Wallace. Just brutal. This team is turning into a bunch of pansies. Ward is a true steeler WR, Wallace is a heartless punk.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    well we have 3 very good young wrs while we don't have a reliable nt , not so sure we keep hampton anyway , but they will release smith and farrior first

11. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Hines is being realeased.

Hines Ward is being released. I just got a text about it from The Steelers. They announced it about 6:00 P.M. today. Thanks for everything Hines. See you when you are inducted in the Hall.

12. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope he can be resigned for a lower salary to be #4 or 5 and situational receiver. Hampton, Smith, and Farrior while all three are steeler greats are done. I think Hines has a little left.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I might be missing something here - not been around for a few days - but why is Wallace a heartless punk? Because he wants money? Is Ward paid in bottle caps or did I miss something?

And why is the team turning into pansies, because it makes a difficult decision that's entirely in keeping with it's history?

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hopefully it's so they can re-sign him for a day so he can retire as a Steeler! (Not the way Seau did it.)

15. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  16. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That hurts, even though it might be warranted. Hines is THE MAN. I hope he does not sign with another team (hard to imagine him in a different uniform). I still don't see how they will be able to afford Wallace.

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I am surprised everyone is so mad didn't we know this was going to happen? He will be a steeler next year if HE wants to.

19. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They will sigh Jericho Cotchery, he is younger and has a little better set of wheels. they will also restructure Hampton's salary with a hometown discount because he has had 3 knee surgery's and either draft a prospect and start working on Browns contract. They have been really good this off season with all the restructuring but I hope it don't bite us in the arse.

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Wallace is heartless because he doesn't block and doesn't fight for the ball. He's incredibly soft. He's a punk because one of his reasons for thinking he has earned a raise is because he has "stayed out of trouble." Nothing like bragging about not getting arrested. What next, bragging that you take care of your kids. Ridiculous.

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope they can't afford Wallace.

22. motleyozz6

motleyozz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    this is one of the most disgusting & heartless things I've seen this organization do in my lifetime. The guy has given 14 years....14 great productive years and he wants to stay 1 more year & willing to take a significant cut in pay to stay & this is how they treat him. Just disgusting. Just a few days ago they were saying how they wanted Mike Wallace to retire as a Steeler....apparently they don't feel the same about the guy that gave his blood, sweat & tears for 14 years to this team. :frustrated:

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Very sad day. I really think the Steelers made the wrong choice on this. This one is going to be hard to get over.

24. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm having a hard time picturing us taking the field week 1 without Hines Ward.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Totaly agree with you on this. I'm pissed!