1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward Retires

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He better get a locker in heinz hall. I happened to be there and watched them build part of bettis locker.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I've had this avatar since joining this forum. I also use it on one of my other non-football forums. I don't think I'll ever change it now.

4 time pro-bowler.
    3 SB appearances.
    2 time SB Champion
    1 SB MVP.
    Broke and holds almost every meaningful record for a receiver in Steeler history.
    Toughest SOB to ever play WR. So tough, they had to change the rules because the pansy defenses couldn't cope.

If that isn't a HOF resume, I don't know what is.

3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    He and Aaron Smith are locks for that.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You are forgetting he is in the top ten in every post season receiving category with less games played then most of the others on the list.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    +1

Good point. :herewego:

6. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Hines for all the great years and to help build passion in an already passionate fan base. One thing people don't mention is the fact that Hines could take it as well as dish it out. How many times did the other team go after Hines, intentionally, and put an extra hard hit on Hines, only to see him jump up and smile. Lesser players with lesser heart would have went to the sidelines. Here's to playing well beyond your athletic ability!!!!

8. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hines Ward is 100% Steelers football! Hard work, grit, toughness, and a blue collar Champion!
    To see him go to another team just would not have ever felt right. I hate to see him forced to retire but he will always hold his head high knowing that any other situation other than the Greatest sports franchise ever would never be the same for himself or for the fans.
    100% CLASS ACT!

9. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We appreciate you, Hines.

His legend will only grow, as with other Steeler legends, as it should.

10. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I just watched his news conference. Was it just me or did it feel as if the only reason he was retiring was because of the love and support Steeler nation showed him. Many fans didn't want to see him in another uniform (not me I didn't mind him putting on another uniform. He would have still been a Steeler to me) God Bless Hines!!!! :herewego:

11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep in shape, and don't officially file those retirement papers yet.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Re: Steelers announce press conference w/ Hines

If one of our WR's get hurt Hines is the first I'm calling, I don't know if this is it just yet? Stay in shape Hines!!!

13. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Agree. I may be crazy, but I could see him back in a Steelers uniform if something happens to one of the WRs. Maybe that's one of the reasons he didn't sign with another team. Probably just wishful thinking! Anyway, I love Hines and the thought of him not playing makes me want to cry but like everyone else has said, the thought of him in another uniform is unimaginable. I will miss that smile so much. Would love to see him as a commentator, he's so personable and knowledgeable.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Riding off in to the sunset as a Steeler great. You couldn't write a better ending. This one's for you Hines ! :drinks:

15. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Thank you Hines for the many years of pure joy and enjoyment watching you play. You are the epitome of class. Rest assired that STEELER NATION loves you and thanks you. You are the best.

16. Bristerfan

Bristerfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Man,I got goose bumps watching that news conference....
    Thank You for 14 great years Hines! :towel:
    You are an ALL TIME STEELER!

17. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Ditto! I actually started to tear up a bit myself, watching that. :cry:

18. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Feel like I just need to say something. Simply said - Hines is my favorite Steeler of all time....and my boyhood hero memories stretch back to Swann, Stallworth, Lambert, Greene, and Bradshaw. Hines was one of those guys who truly loved the game and the sincerity with the way he showed it was wonderful. He was real.

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Truly a great Steeler, never thought I would see this day. Time to usher in the new group of heroes, I guess. We'll miss you always Hines. :cry:

Spartacus

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I didn't see the whole 25 minutes, does anyone know if he thanked Bill Cowher? He also had a special relationship with him, I remember. Just wondering.

Spartacus

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :D My all time favorite player...! :herewego: :clapping:

I'm going to miss him more than he will miss us.

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why did he say Tomlin doesn't think he'd make a good coach?

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I took that as maybe a joke...dont think it was a serious comment especially how it was said/etc.

24. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I Don`t know.
    I am damn near speechless right now...
    That was such an old-school show of class, and true emotion, that you just don`t see anymore, that I just hope,
    as one poster put in his "signature line"...that, it "rubs off onto the younger men"... :applaud: :applaud: :rawk: :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego: :rawk: :cool: :cry: :wave:
    Anyhow... My best guess about what he meant by that line about him not being a good coach,
    Was that it was an inside joke, between him and Tomlin... Mike, must`ve said something at some point about him having the heart and attitude, but not the "brains".
    I have no reason to think that, other than that broad smile on Hines`es face, when he said it..

I noticed it too, when he said it, and thought to myself... "I wonder where that came from?".
    That was just so cool, I am absolutely stunned.
    (The whole conference, not just that line)
    Damn, gonna miss him.
    Hope he does get sumkinda broadcasting job.

And to all those on the board, who think the fans have no influence on the players...
    I would say Hines just proved you wrong...
    In one of the best possible ways... :hello:

MdBates, if you didn`t see the most recent link, to Hine`s conference, Towel put one in the first page of this thread, and I am soooooo glad I took 20+ minutes to watch it(thanx to you too, Towel for the link)....
    I can`t remember the last time I saw a modern athlete show that much of their true heart, and soul.
    Yeah, Peyton regretted leaving Indy, but at the end of the day, he went somewhere else, to keep playing.
    Hines didn`t.
    Not saying Hines got the offers Peyton did, but I am sure he could have played somewhere else, if he had chosen to. Glad he didn`t.
    Hines Ward, Hall of Fame(to be) Steeler for LIFE!!! :clapping: :herewego: :yeehaw: :cool: :bowdown: :herewego!: :guiness:

25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear ya... My favorite was.. and still is Lambert...
    Because... JUST LIKE HINES... He was real!!!
    Same thing for Silverback, or Ryan Clark... You may not like what they have to say, but they tell you how they truly feel...
    And so did Hines, in that farewell conference... there wasn`t a fake moment in it. Starting from... "I don`t usually like to read my thoughts off paper notes..."
    :thumbsup: Damn, I`m gonna miss ya, and I can only pray we keep getting players with your integrity on our team!!! :bowdown: :yeehaw: :cool: