1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines - In Rememberance

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheWanderer, Mar 1, 2012.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Everyone keeps saying they "wish he could go out a Steeler" ...he can!!!

Really there are only a few teams that have a realistic shot of winning a Super Bowl. They most likely have lttle cap room also and even less likely to hire Ward. What would be the point of him going to the jags, he wouldn't win a SB.

He already has millions for a very long and productive career, two rings and an MVP title. Aside of giving it one more shot with us, what would be the point of this final season for him? The organizations front office and coaches don't think he has what they need and I'm sure they have expressed to him privately how much they appreciate their mutual history together. I"M SURE OF IT!!!!

I'm still not sold that he won't be back and the release wasn't a strategic financial manipulation move the get him at some other price.

Everyone keeps bringing up this 925K number. Is that what Hines said he will come back for OR that is the vet min. Ward said he would take a "pay cut", but not the vet minimum. So I'm confused as to what the real numbers were. Did the Steelers offer him back at minimum and Hines wnated more or did they just release him no matter the dollar figure???

2. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

What the hell man? Are you joking or something? That's just messed up. Hines is arguable the greatest receiver we have ever had and you treat him like a sack of dirt? Some fan you are. :bs:

3. alitylr

alitylr New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    One my favorites from Hines
    [youtube:1qouo70e]iuPyQy-lOuQ[/youtube:1qouo70e]

4. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    OMG!!! I love this one.

5. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    from what i understand, under the CBA, ten-year+ veterans receive a MINIMUM salary of $925k.

it's actually pretty interesting and, i confess, i don't know all of the details (maybe someone else on here does?) but . . .

it would be rather interesting if the union actually screwed their players up by pricing an aging vet out of the market. i mean, what if the guy is willing to play for $500k but, due to the CBA, isn't allowed to do that because clubs are required to pay the $925k minimum? and what if no club is willing to pay $925k? the dude can't work even though he would be willing to work for less and teams were willing to sign him at a more reasonable, cap-friendly price?

6. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    How else could it go down? I love Hines. He got pushed out. We can't afford to pay him for 5 or 6 plays a game.
    I really hope he will come back for Vet Min and let Cotchery go. Don't think that will happen but think of this
    Bettis took a low pay to stay= won SB
    Hines takes low pay to stay = Stairway to SEVEN?
    Works for me
    :kemo: