1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hilton Benched?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 12, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Cam Sutton took all the snaps in the nickle. Hilton reduced to scout team defense. Not the change I was expecting. Per Steelers Depot

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Any reason at all for the change ? The change i was expecting was a change of guard with respect to coaching.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :eek:

Intriguing indeed. I do hope Brian Allen does at least see some snaps at outside corner at some point in the future. I understand that would mean either Haden or Coty are gone but entrusting Artie at this point is way too much of a risk given the fact that he has lost confidence.

Giving someone like Brian a chance in that scenario would be more beneficial as there is still time for him to develop.

UPDATE: Forgot one thing. Sean Davis has some form of knee injury. Mike Hilton could likely get the Free Safety spot. Keep in mind that Morgan Burnett has simply missed too much time at this point and is really the dime 'backer as it stands. Again, not entirely sure if this would happen but Mike Hilton said this himself back in September.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe they remember the great job Sutton did on the Bengal TE earlier in the season. He will be our secret weapon to shut down Gronk. You remember the whole starter/ backup debate dontcha' :hehehe:

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    At least there is no debate on whether or not Gronk is the starter? Or is there? :hmm: :lolol:

PS:
    CJ Uzomah has started every single Bengals game since that argument. Don't tell Scribe. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    According to the article Hilton was delegated to scout team only and received no first team reps.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here is another Article from SteelersDepot:

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/r...-free-safety-due-to-injury-back-in-september/

This article pertains to Hilton stating his possible usage at the Free Safety Position back in September. As I said, too difficult to tell if this will happen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It was a shock to me. With all the problems we have, the play of Mike Hilton didn't strike me as one of them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That would make a lot more sense than just benching the guy. Hilton has made some splash plays this year.

10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Strange decision, but at least they’re trying something?

If Sutton does play for Hilton, I hope they’ve worked on his blitzing; it has been terrible.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He also played Free Safety for Ole Miss. I seriously doubt he has lost the ability to play the position.

That being said, outside of some timely blitzes, not much to speak of for any of the defense and nevermind Hilton.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I though I read that they plan on using Sutton in the slot to stop Edelman. Probably have Hayden on Josh Gordon. We are so bad from our past experiences from a match up standpoint that I don't know who can stop Gronk or Corarrelle Patterson who is just like a tight end. Also Chris Hogue always gives us fits.

The cheats will double team JuJu and AB.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then Vance should have a big game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hilton has a disappointment this season, he gave up the game winning TD to the Raiders TE.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, our tight ends have to come up big.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope Jesse holds onto the ball this time :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know Sutton didn’t play against Chargers, did he play against Raiders?

Weird decision?

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely not the season we envisioned after last year but I guess he'll just get in line behind all the other players that regress in our system.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Sutton was out for Chargers due to personal reasons. I believe he saw time against Oakland. I think I remember seeing him. That could be good or bad. Nothing that stands out though....

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

All hands on deck this week :shrug:

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hilton has been a huge disappointment the last month or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    And he has spent all that time playing like the scrub that he is. Trust me. I noticed.:hehehe:

Uzomah only started those games because the two guys ahead of him never returned. Eifert was already done by then. Tyler Kroft missed that contest with a foot injury. The Bengals had hoped he would return this season, but he never made it back and they finally put him on IR last month.

Uzomah's six receptions for 54 yards against the Steelers, mostly against Sutton, is still his season high. It took him four entire games to catch six more passes after that game against the Steelers. He matched the total of six catches once, when the Bengals inexplicably targeted him 12 times against the Browns and he only managed to catch half of them for 39 yards.

In other words, I see your snark and I bury it in facts. :dancing:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He also had an interception go through his hands, though it would have been a very tough catch. It was also Hilton who was toasted in the missed false start call against the Chargers. As badly as the officials screwed that play up, Hilton messed it up, too. You can't let up unless the whistle is blown and he clearly did, costing the team a touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Honestly don't understand this one,,hope they know what they're doing ....Oh wait ,Tomlin and Butler knowing what they are doing =
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    One thing is for sure. Sutton will not be going up against a scrub TE this week. Gronk has been banged up, but he is as close to 100% now as he has been all season. Judging by all the first team reps Sutton got yesterday, it appears Sutton is going to see a lot of Gronk on Sunday. Now we get a chance to see what Sutton can do against a legit stud TE.