1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hightower & Chapman

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks to a terrific youtube poster who calls himself JPDraftJedi, I was able to watch a whole bunch of defensive snaps for Alabama in the 2011 games against Arkansas and Tennessee. I had at one time had both of Bama's games with LSU, and another Bama game (I think vs. Auburn) on my DVR, and had used those games to evaluate Hightower and Chapman. These two games gave me more ammo for my evaluation, and solidified my views that #1 - Hightower should be our pick at #24 if he's there, and I'm starting to think that he may not be; and, #2 - Chapman may be the best 3-4 nose tackle prospect in this draft, and I would actually take him in round #2 depending on who else was available. By our #3 pick, he will almost certainly be the BPA after adjusting for our needs if he is still there.

Hightower - What I saw in these 2 games reinforces my view that he is one of the best ILBs against the inside run that I have seen in several years, and is absolutely THE best pass rushing ILB prospect that I can ever remember seeing (Bama frequently used him at LDE in 4-3 pass rush packages, and he ate up opposing RTs). The concern about him was whether he could cover. While coverage isn't his strong suit, he looked as good as just about any other quality ILB prospect in college. Most of them need work, and he does as well. However, I think that after an offseason with our coaching staff, he can be as capable in that area as a rookie as Foote is. My only remaining concern with Hightower is that I am nervous that he will not make it to #24. If nobody in the top 20 takes him, I think Houston will leap frog us and jump to around pick #21 (trade with Cinci) or #22 (Cleveland) to get him. I think both teams would know why Houston is on the phone, and be happy to make a trade and stick it to us. If he's there, he needs to be ours.

Chapman - This guy is a great team football player. He is exactly what you want in a 3-4 nose tackle. He simply occupies blockers and clogs the middle on every run play. He also pushes the center back to the QB on pass plays (although admittedly not consistently), and shows a great ability (for a 320 lb. guy) to diagnose screen passes and move laterally to disrupt the receiver's ability to turn upfield. However, in watching these videos the watershed moment was a play on the Hightower vs. Arkansas video. It was a play where Hightower made a tackle for a 1-2 yard loss on 4th and 1. When you watch that play, you'll see big #99 stand up the center and guard by squatting and pushing one hand into the midsection of each lineman. The center and guard looked paralyzed for a second while Chapman kept them stuck at the LOS, unable to move to the next level. Hightower was able to shoot in from behind Chapman and make the tackle in the backfield unblocked because the guard could not disengage from Chapman. It was a beautiful example of exactly what you want a 2 gap defensive lineman to do for you.

Both videos are specifically of Hightower, although you can't miss Chapman #99 on the nose. I encourage you to check them out. Just search for Dont'a Hightower on youtube and look for the games vs. Tennessee and Arkansas posted by JPDraftJedi. I want these guys on our defense.

2. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Gotta have OL help, preferably by round 2... But this is probably the only scenario I'm okay without it. Might look into trading up to grab a guard after Chapman.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm not sure about hightower but chapman is perfect for us

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agree completely. This would solidify the middle of our defense for the next 8-10 years, and would sacrifice taking an OL if it meant that. Heck, by our pick in round two maybe all of the interior OL guys would be gone anyway, and Chapman may just be the BPA for us.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ideally, I'd like to see:
    1. Hightower
    2. Osemele, Silatolu or Zeitler - maybe Sanders
    3. Chapman

That would be a wonderful 1st 2 days of the draft. However, if O-linemen like the ones I mentioned above fall, then I wouldn't hesitate to lock up Chapman in R2.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how bout

1.silatolu
    2.chapman
    3.wolfe

i'd pee my pants. :cool:

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, this would be ideal, but I think is too unrealistic. But if it did happen, I'd... well, I'd take a page out of macdaddyo's book.

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure I like Silatolu at #24, but if we could trade down 8-10 spots and still land him I'd be very happy with that, especially if all our main targets are gone.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There are some good DT's in this draft, but Chapman is one of the few in this draft who plays NT the way the Steelers system demands.

To make the Steelers 3-4 work you need someone the caliber of Casey, maybe Chapman is that guy? Its hard to say because Casey was a special player.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

boy, i sure would pull the trigger. there sure is some reshuffling going on with several guys at the top and alot of guys that were not invited to the combine coming up with very good pro days. i think he and pouncey would mesh very well together in the middle of our line and bring a young firey attitude that we haven't seen out of our o-linemen in several years. i think by draft day it won't be as much of a reach as it looks now.

as far as the d-line with these two, man alive, we would be at the top of the league in talent and ability, no matter if it were starters or backups bringing the heat. i don't think there would be any dropoff the whole game on this front and it would put tons of pressure on opposing offenses. with this pressure up front we could get away with covering up any type of LB play. not that i think we don't have plenty of talent there now. a draft like this would make us rock solid though.

add a good FS like robinson and a CB like tandy for depth later and we will have a defense to recon with for years. we could add a RB,WR and another lineman since they are deep positions this year. expand the trophey case. :cool:

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

:this!:

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    i think by draft day it won't be as much of a reach as it looks now. :cool:[/quote:w8t1rgs9]
    That's very possible. Still a lot of time left. The risk factor automatically goes way up though when you're talking about a D II guy, even if he's the most dominant player on every field he steps on. I'm in no mood to break our streak of good first round picks.

14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I just don't see a guard being our first round pick, unless its Cordy Glenn. I know its a need, but guards just don't have the value. I think the Steelers would take someone at much less a position of need who has fallen rather than reach for a first round guard. I see Silotulu (actually, this is the first time i've seen him as a first round pick), I see Zietler. Its way too much of a reach at the #24 spot. Adams, Martin, or Glenn are the only o-linemen who I could see us taking in the first, and I really am wary of Adams for us. We trade down to #32 or early 2nd, and all bets are off.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, Faneca and Simmons were both 1st rounders, and they were both good picks. Geez, Faneca was one of the best picks the Steelers ever made. You could say the same thing about value for centers, and Pouncey was a steal at #18. If we get a guard anywhere after #30 that is a good strong starter, that's a good pick in my book.

#24 is a little early for me just because there is so much more potential for other players to be there, like Hightower, maybe Martin. Plus it's a position in which we can trade up if someone great falls. However, a lot of times drafts have a way of unfolding just horribly for us, and I like knowing that these guards are there if everyone we really wanted is gone. We should be able to trade back and still get one. It's a nice safety net.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would totally be okay with that draft, especially if we could add another OL and a WR prior to the end of the 3rd day.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I totally agree. I wouldn't hesitate to take a guard in the 1st if he has the talent. Yeah maybe you don't want both your guards to be first rounders, but having at least one really good one can make a big difference.

I do not believe Legursky or Essex is going to be the day one LG starter. We are drafting someone.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Wanted to see where the Silotulu love came from. Yes, I would love to have him, but not in the first. His consensus ranking (I know, some of you hate Walter, but his consensus takes the average of a lot of big boards out there, not just his opinion) has Silotulu ranked at 50.17, meaning that most likely we could toss out our 4th round pick to move up for him. Just think he's the flavor of the week, much like Brooks in the second or Zietler in the first. Don't let need overtake value. Thats not the Steeler way of drafting, especially in the first.
    Zietler is at 41, still a reach with the 24th pick. Unless Cordy Glenn falls, I would think that drafting a Guard in the first is a serious waste of draft position.

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Take Hightower right off the bat if he is there. He would be our inside linebacker for the next 10 years and PLUS, if Harrison falls from his high performance or have back problems again, you can slide him to the outside instead of Timmons. Picture this:

HIghtower, Foote, Timmons and Woodley OR
    Harrison, Timmons, Hightower and Woodley......Can't beat that!

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I could see Chapman in black & gold with the 3rd rd pick,