1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi folks, I need some advice from you fine people.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris Pye, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Hello, So I'm going to be coming over to America on holiday this year and plan on spending several days in Pittsburgh (Couldn't come to America for the first time and not see the Steelers play now could I)?

So I was hoping you could give me a run down of the best way to experience Pittsburgh for a weekend (or up to 5 days depending on the schedule).

Both me and my brother want to see as much sport as possible so (again depending on schedule) we were thinking of watching a High School game on Friday, College game on Saturday and topping it off with watching the Steelers on Sunday.

What I would like to know are things like:-
    The best time to arrive at the stadium,
    The best place to get food and drink,
    The best place to celebrate an awesome win after the games (all the films make college parties look awesome).

This next question is also gonna seem a bit strange but I've heard a lot about these tailgate parties that take place, do you guys do those? If so, how do they work?

Also as we'll be going at the end of September, what other sports are in season at that time. Will we get to see a baseball or NHL game?

I'd really appreciate any advice you folks could provide, I've been a Steelers fan for a long time and am looking forward to this way more than I ought to as I have never had a chance to see them live :)

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Wait until late September or early October you will have a chance to catch the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins games all within those 5 days. When the Buccos are good that is the best time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And the Gold lot has a lot of tailgating. Or well ut did when I was going all the time. For the bigger games you can normally find some that are like pay 10 bucks or so and eat and drink all you like. After a win the entire north shore where the stadium is is alive and buzzing. Also check out the South Side and strip district.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Awesome, thanks man. We are flying over on the 18th September into DC and (again depending on the schedule) hoping to drive up to Pittsburgh around the 22nd and spend a long weekend there before we head across to New York. So I really have to hope we have a home game on the 25th. Those plans could change though as we are currently very flexible.

5. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I heard of a place called Parmenti Bro's that is supposed to be on the strip and is well worth a visit. Other than that I'm not too sure what is there really.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    First thing he must do when he gets to Pitssburgh is report to Steeler corporate and kiss the trophies. Doing that brings about a clarity of the mind and awareness of all things. You will know all you need to know after your lips finishes kissing the last of the six trophies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Yep that sounds like a must do thing. Is it possible to get into the stadium outside of gameday?

8. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    primantis
    trolly ride up my washington to grandview saloon for a drink on their balcony over looking the city and stadium
    fatheads in south side
    take a pee in grille 36 bathroom
    the gateway clipper ride to the game is an awesome experience

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Thanks a lot for that mate, although the taking a pee in Grille 36 thing wasn't quite what I expected. Is there some reason I should do that?

10. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

its a bar/restaurant owned by jerome bettis. there is a 2 way mirror above the mens urinals. as you pee, you look out into the bar and see all the people. its like you are peeing right in front of them or on them...childish, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Also try to come when they are playing the Cubbies so you can say you saw the World Series champs play in person. LOL! I wish! As far as food, you can go to Grill 36 right next to the stadium since it's The Bus' place. It's a neat place but a madhouse on gameday and the night before a game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Pirates are going to win the series?? Woo hoo! I'm goin' to Vegas to place my bet!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I answered some stuff above when quoting your original post but, a couple of questions that may help with recommendations: How old are you? What country are you from?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Hello, and thank you very much for your response. It's really appreciated. To answer your question I am 34 and my Brother will be 38 by the time we go. We are coming from England and I work as a nightclub Bouncer so I'm good with seeing the nightlife of the city. I want to try and see as much of Pittsburgh as I can as it could be a long time before I get a chance to come back again.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I've been to Pittsburgh each of the last two years. Here are some of my thoughts.

If you aren't tailgating with your vehicle, it's best to get a hotel within walking distance of Heinz Field or atleast something on the bus route.

I haven't tailgated in a parking lot so I can't speak to that. Both times I've attended the fan tailgate at the Stage AE, which is right outside of Heinz Field. Lots of people. Lots to drink. Live entertainment. I always have a lot of fun. We usually head here 2 or 3 hours before the game.

If you have lots of time I recommend going to Grille 36 as soon as it opens on GameDay. It is Jerome Bettis' restaurant which is only about 5 minutes from Heinz field.

If you are looking for other attractions:

The Duquesne and monongahela inclines. These are the red trolleys you see climbing up the hills of Pittsburgh sometimes on broacasts. I recommend going up one and down the other. The Duquesne has the better view but both are worth it.

Primanti Bros. Legendary sandwich shop. I've been to the strip district and the market locations. You definitely want to go to the strip district location to feel the history.

For another great sandwich try Peppi's, which is also in the strip district. The Roethlisburger is a to die for sandwich.

If you want a good breakfast at an awesome diner location try Pamela's diner. There's a couple of locations but I recommend the strip district location.

Just down the block there is a little donut shop called Peace, Love and Little Donuts. Absolutely perfect dessert after a nice breakfast.

There's some good eateries around Heinz Field and PNC park. Look them up and whatever your preference is I've been to a couple of them and they are pretty good.

Ended up finding a small bar in the strip district called the Bee Hive. It's small but a good beer selection and was a great place to watch a game on TV if you don't make it to the game itself.

Two spots that I did not like at all for eats and drinks were the The Spaghetti Warehouse and the Tilted Kilt. The tilted kit was ok as a post game bar. It's pretty busy and a fun atmosphere but the food is lousy.

If you have time I definitely recommend driving out to College Station for a Penn State game if they are playing that weekend. Beautiful drive. Beaver Staium is pretty old but lots of history there.

If you get bored, just walk around downtown Pittsburgh. It's not that big and you can walk any distance there. We were down there on Thursday before the Ravens game last year and the Market was fantastic. Some great little shops around too.

Really enjoyed stopping in at Nicolas Coffee Co. Excellent coffee and you can buy beans from all over the world. Great place to grab a cigar too.

You definitely should go to Point Place park. It's across from Heinz field and is at the confluence, where the Allegheny and Monongahela meet to form the Ohio. Great scenery. There's also a tour of an old fort that is nearby which was cool.

Quite alot to chew on there but I'd be happy to help you with anything else if I can. I'm from Canada and am about a 20 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I love it there and would probably move there if I could.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I forgot to add if the Buccos are playing, you HAVE to go to PNC park. The most beautiful ball park I have ever seen.

The view you are presented upon reaching the top of the escalator at the home plate gate isawe inspiring. Almost doesn't seem real it is so perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    a walk thru wholey foods in the strip is pretty cool too.
    i tried the roethlisburger last year for the first time. i prefer primantis.
    my wife and i split one just to say we did. im sure 2 dudes can do primatis and still split a roethlisburger right after
    station square is kinda cool to walk around.
    inside the mall has quality steeler gear. the strip has cheap stuff

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Hey folks, thanks a lot for all your advice. I will definitely be buying you all a beer if I see you :)

19. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

i'l take an iron city

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Pye

Chris Pye Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Done... Whatever that is.

21. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

you gotta try an iron city, iron city light and a yuengling.
    those are beers, from worst to best.....lol

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    A Primate Bros sandwich with an Iron City. You'll understand.

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I drink very little iron anymore. 2 places that I do: Primanti's (Cheese steak) and the Oyster House (Fish). Many years of tradition.

• Like Like x 1
  24. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not much to add to what's been said already (especially since I've not lived there for 20+ years) but an interesting tidbit... Even though it's not from the burgh, yuengling is the oldest current brewery in the States afaik). Oh and... Iron City sucks :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

iron city does suck but you have to have at least 1 just to say you did
    i grew up drinking carlings black label. a terrible beer in its own right.
    my buddies dad worked at the brewery in town and got it for real cheap on friday nights
    although the brewery has been closed for 25 years, a local bar still has it shipped in and sells it for $1.25 a can
    i drink it once in a while because its cheap and its a part of my and my towns past
    yuengling is awesome tho

• Like Like x 1