1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heyward on off season workouts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 10, 2021.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Heyward was doing his job as the humanitarian that he has been over his career. He was nominated for the Walter Peyton Man of the year award by the Steelers a number of years because of his concern for others. He has a foundation. Heyward is making a difference in people's lives. That's why he would use a public forum to get the message across to every player in the league. Heyward has a voice that many people can respect because he is a great player and he has a voice.

Locker room leadership wasn't the problem over the years. The performance on the field was the main issue ie turnovers and mistakes. Injuries had an impact too.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hahahaha. Was thinking of that when I was typing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Steelers were putting Antwon Rose ( he who participated in a drive by shooting ) on their helmets...Al Villanueva instead wanted to honor a black war hero killed in Iraq, And Fats Heyward scolded him for it

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If you were on the coaching staff, how's this make you feel?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    "I was surprised by what Al did," defensive captain Cam Heyward said Wednesday. "You'll have to talk to him in the future, but in this country, we're given the freedom to do and support those that mean a lot to us."

"Was it perfect at the end of the day? No," Heyward, a vocal member of the team's social justice committee, said of Villanueva's helmet change. "As a collective unit, we wanted to support [Rose's] family and bring awareness."

That’s hardly scolding.

I have nothing but respect for Heyward, been a great Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets be fair, the results are the same...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm sure Heyward is all the things you say he is. Like I said, I have no problem with him as a person or player. But, if you think a lack of leadership isn't a problem, a big problem with this team, then you haven't been paying attention for a number of years. I hate Tom Brady. I think he's a an arrogant, Narcissistic creep that will win by any means necessary, including cheating. Having said that, you don't see the BS surrounding his teams that you do on this club. What's the common denominator?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Right, I thought Heyward should have communicated with other players privately about it, but the cat's out of the bag now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    NE had Hernandez and were embroiled in two cheating scandals and an owner involved in a sex scandal.

This idea that the Steelers are the only team that ever deals with distractions is just not true.

As far as I’m concerned, the Steelers got rid of those elements and I’ll never agree with people that JuJu is a problem or that Claypool chirping on twitter equals a cultural problem.

Claypools bar incident is a different story and hopefully they are on top of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I hate to get into a pointless discussion about the leadership on Steelers teams over the years. You don't have one clue about what happened from a leadership perspective behind the scenes. Claiming a leadership problem is like claiming the boggy man exists. Ultimately, players are judged by what happens on the field. This team failed on the field. Yes, it's that cut and dry.

Were you paying attention to the scandals that surrounded NE over the years? I guess the championship wins over shadowed the scandals that NE had over the years in your mind? Ultimately, history will judge Brady based on the wins and not leadership, the cheating, or scandals. Yes, it's that simple.

11. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Year after year after year after year underachieving...It isn't Tomlins fault, It isn't the players fault...Who tf faults is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Boggy does exist. The Boggy Creek Monster. :eek:
    Now a bogey man he does not;)

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Your fault Disco. You Bad Luck M*********er.
    LoL. Someone has 2 be the scapegoat :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure if this is true but didn't our former OC get into a bar brawl along with his wife right near where he works? How may other teams have had that happen lately?

15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I am a firm believer that the culture of a team, including underachieving, comes from top down. Top, in this case, is the owners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley had a few off field incidents. Wrecked a home he was renting, stiffed a person who was boarding his dogs and the thing you’re talking about which I think was mostly his wife.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell! I totally forgot about that.

18. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Tequila Todd

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not going to comment on Cam's stance or the leadership discussion but I am curious if the league is continuing it's Covid-19 guidelines or if teams can return to off-season training programs and OTA's where there is more contact in person and with the coaching and training staff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    i dont know the lifespan of defensive linemen. i know the running back life span is real short. just seems heyward has been on the team for ages and i dont know how much longer his body will hold up as well as tuitt. maybe we should start addressing d-line pretty soon before its too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    1. Then why are you?

2. I think more so than you because I pay attention and am able to deduce that when you have players throwing tantrums, saying foolish things directly to sports media or on social media or engaging in personal, sometimes criminal activities that are detrimental to the greater good of the team, some of that behavior points to a lack of leadership.

3. I would submit that if leadership wasn't a thing, then every current and former jock and every current and former analyst and sports broadcaster would never talk about it. Also, I have no idea what a "boggy" man is. Maybe a poor golfer that wears a cape with a large letter "B" on the back? Or a troll that prefers swamp dwelling.

4. I'm fully aware of that.

5. Also fully aware of that. Denying that a lack of leadership wasn't a contributing factor is burying your head in the sand for some unknown reason to me. Maybe because admitting there is a basic systemic failure never before encountered by our beloved organization is too tough to admit.

6. No, it isn't. This team is often soft and poorly prepared for big games. The lack of discipline, respect for the opponent, adherence to rigid structure and details are not all necessarily caused by poor leadership, but they are all partial fall out of it. If one wants to make a case that sometimes they get beat by a superior foe, then I'm in total agreement. However, that isn't always the case, not by a long shot.

7. Yes. How is team leadership to blame for a pervert team owner? How is team leadership responsible for Aaron Hernandez' turn as a murdering psychopath? Spy gate, if one believes it happened (I do), originated from the coaching staff. Again, how or why would the players stand up and admit to it even if they knew anything? Same with deflate gate and I already have made my feelings about Tom Brady's legacy clear.

8. Not necessarily. Not all of them. I trust Hines Ward when he said; "It was almost as if they (N.E.) knew what we were going to run." He's not an idiot. To say that they were lily white during TB's tenure there is a little juvenile. And yes, it is that simple if you refuse to look behind the curtain.

9. History has already judged TB as the greatest NFL player ever, and who am I to disagree? As much as I dislike him, I won't deny his impact on the game. Along with that, he and Belichick deserve to have to answer tough questions about some of the controversy that surrounded their tenure. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

10. No, what is simple is saying that team leadership either doesn't exist or isn't a necessary adjunct to playing winning football. I don't often call on Hollywood fantasy to make a point, but watch "Draft Day" if you haven't already. Exhibition of leadership is the basis for the whole movie, and I think it makes a compelling case.

To summarize, I recognize N.E.'s run of greatness for 20 years. It's not if they were cheating, but when, where and how often. No matter, they were the class of the league during that run and part of the reason was strong leadership, from the head coach to every player on the field. To deny that as a factor in their overall success is nothing other than wanting to be right.

And on that note, I've made my position abundantly clear. Anything beyond this is just argument for argument's sake and we'll have to a agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 2
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Where the hell did I ever say the Pittsburgh Steelers were the only team that had to deal with distractions? As far as the rest, you and I know full well that we completely disagree, so I'll leave it there.

23. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Must be a lot of people here that do voluntary extra work at their jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t say you did, you took that wrong. Perhaps I should have said, all teams have these things to deal with, even NE.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Making this about Cam :facepalm:, the NFLPA wants players to have a virtual offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1